PDA

View Full Version : Oh man I'm getting old lol

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:27 AM
This may have been posted before but a mate sent me it in an email this morning.

You know you were a child of the 80s when.....

# You never questioned why the A-Team were always imprisoned in places that had sufficient tools to build an armoured tank. <- you know, I never thought of that :lol:

# Dungeons & Dragons was your favourite cartoon.

# Your lunch times were spent perfecting swan dives and backspins.

# You fell out with friends during heated arguments about the relative merits of Matt & Luke.

# You owned, or wanted a "Frankie says..." T-shirt.

# You have ever danced (or even worse cried) to Kylie & Jason.

# Cerise pink, electric blue and banana yellow have ever featured in your wardrobe or make-up collection.

# You ever did the top toggle of your coat up around your neck without having your arms in the sleeves, and knew you looked like a super-hero.

# You remember when the A-Ha video was the pinnacle of modern technology, and you can still sing all the words.

# Parachuting Action man was your favourite toy.

# Your best party dress was either a ra-ra or puff-ball skirt.

# You ever owned a thin, black leather tie (and were proud of it), or worse it was patterned like a piano.

# You wondered why a popular kids TV programme told you to "Turn off your TV set and go and do some less boring instead".

# You wanted to be either Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

# You ever said "It's my ball, and if I can't be Kevin Keegan I'm going home!"

# You remember the aerobie scare.

# You have ever po-goed or space-hopped.

# You remember when Keith Chegwin & Maggie Philbin were the hottest romantic couple.

# You wondered why your walkie-talkie didn't have the same range as those in the Red Hand Gang.

# You were shocked by the controversial plot lines in Degrassi Junior High.

# You tried to set up a "Famous Five" or "Secret Seven" gang with your school friends.

# You tried to convince your Dad to fit a strip of red lights on the front of his Capri so it looked like KITT.

# "Ca-vey Wa-vey!" means anything to you.

# You ever had more than 10 sweets in a 10p mix-up.

# Not only did you wear luminous clothing, but they were mismatched fingerless gloves and towelling socks.

# You remember when Betamax was at the cutting edge of technology.

# Conveyor belts regularly carried washing machines, deep-fat fryers and a cuddly toy.

# You could have got away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids.

# (Girls) You owned a pair of Pixie Boots, generally worn with leg warmers.

# (Boys) You owned a pair of pale grey slip-ons, generally worn with white towelling socks.

# Shiny grey flecked suits.

# You rolled the sleeves of your suit jacket up

# Ooh, you could crush a Grape!

# You went to school with Pogo Patterson, Gripper Stebson, and Ro-land.

# Fingermouse.

# You were proud of your picture appearing in the Gallery.

# You remember Look In magazine, and when it was only 20p

# You wondered why you and your mates never encountered diamond thieves whilst out on your BMXs.

# No 73?

# You can remember what Quatro tasted like.

# Your best mate had a soda stream at home and you were jealous <- lmfao :lol: I like that one

Jonno :cool:

Gemby!
08-22-2005, 10:29 AM
You remember when the A-Ha video was the pinnacle of modern technology, and you can still sing all the words.

i can do that anyway. tuuuuuuunnnnneeeeee

Ooh, you could crush a Grape!

*runs downstairs to the fridge to test this theory*

manker
08-22-2005, 10:32 AM
# You wondered why a popular kids TV programme told you to "Turn off your TV set and go and do some less boring instead".Actually, that line of the theme tune to Why Don't You went like this:

"Turn off your TV set and go out and do something less boring instead".

I didn't wonder why, because the series was aimed at getting kids to go out and explore things - I just thought the sentence construction was particularly poor :dry:

I was getting old even when I was seven.

Barbarossa
08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
We had a SodaStream "Deluxe"... :schnauz:

It squirted straight into a glass, not that daft little bottle... :cool:

Having said that, I missed out on having a superduper curlywurly plastic straw to suck the drink with :(

Gemby!
08-22-2005, 10:35 AM
i think being born near the end of the 80s makes me able to understand most of these :01:

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:35 AM
*pats Gems on head* s'ok, there there :lol:

I been thinking about that grape thing, was'nt that something to do with the crankies? or some prog like that, dammit someone gotta tell me cos it'll do my head in all day if not :frusty:

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:39 AM

No it was'nt,it was "Why don't you........switch off your tv set, and do something less boring instead" :P

The full title of the prog was "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set And Go Out And Do Something Less Boring Instead?"

@Barba.... :lol: Cooooool, you bastard, my mum would'nt buy us one :dry: .....but I did have teh straws :01:

Barbarossa
08-22-2005, 10:40 AM
I been thinking about that grape thing, was'nt that something to do with the crankies? or some prog like that, dammit someone gotta tell me cos it'll do my head in all day if not :frusty:

Tws teh guy on Crackerjack, weren't it? :unsure:

The Krankies!!! :lol: :lol: How dodgy was that... getting your midget wife to dress up as a schoolboy... :sick:

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
:lol: :lol: I never thought of it like that you perv :lol:

Yeah Crackerjack :01: Yorkshire bloke right? "Ooooo I cud crursh a graep" :lol:

manker
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM

No it was'nt,it was "Why don't you........switch off your tv set, and do something less boring instead" :P
http://www.culttelly.co.uk/lyrics/why.html

Actually, it was neither.

It was the awful grammar that ingrained itself on my brain, rather than the correct wordage.

manker
08-22-2005, 10:45 AM
If I had a midget wife, I'd make her dress up in an old sack cloth and send her out begging on St Mary's Street in Cardiff.

She'd make a fortune and it would get her out of the house.

Gemby!
08-22-2005, 10:45 AM
my auntie diane has a sodastream

my family sucks :(

it makes a farting sound hehe

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:46 AM
@ Manky ... I dissagree Why don't you click this (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:b5lQ6nE1fFYJ:www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/titles/whydontyou.shtml+why+don%27t+you+switch+off+your+tv&hl=en&client=firefox-a) :01:

Also read edit above lol

Guillaume
08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
It was the awful grammar that ingrained itself on my brain, rather than the correct wordage.

Childhood trauma then? :cry:

Explains a lot.

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
If I had a midget wife, I'd make her dress up in an old sack cloth and send her out begging on St Mary's Street in Cardiff.

She'd make a fortune and it would get her out of the house.

Thats what lil Jimmy did after tv stardom :lol:

manker
08-22-2005, 10:49 AM
@ Manky ... I dissagree Why don't you click this (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:b5lQ6nE1fFYJ:www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/titles/whydontyou.shtml+why+don%27t+you+switch+off+your+tv&hl=en&client=firefox-a) :01:

Also read edit above lol

Jonno :cool:I said it was a line in the theme tune, not the title of the program :huh:

Do keep up.

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Yes I know, listen to the theme tune, I posted :rolleyes:
I was saying what you claim was in the theme tune was actually the full title, and wasn't in the theme tune :rolleyes:

Come on Manky, you's slipping :P

Gemby!
08-22-2005, 10:52 AM
big shiny films in your dinky little home.

shove it in your telly box !

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:53 AM
:lol: :lol:

huh? :huh:

Guillaume
08-22-2005, 10:56 AM
# You never questioned why the A-Team were always imprisoned in places that had sufficient tools to build an armoured tank.

I've always marvelled at their ability to shoot a thousand bullets each show without actually hitting someone.

Gemby!
08-22-2005, 10:57 AM
:lol: :lol:

huh? :huh:

advert off E4 :D

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 10:57 AM
They're American :lol:

Also poor old George could never see anything for the smoke comming from teh ceegar :01:

lol, penny has just dropped on "No.73" :lol: SANDY!! :01:

manker
08-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes I know, listen to the theme tune, I posted :rolleyes:
I was saying what you claim was in the theme tune was actually the full title, and wasn't in the theme tune :rolleyes:

Come on Manky, you's slipping :P

Jonno :cool:It was in the theme tune, it was bad grammar. I posted a link to the lyrics of the theme tume.

Just switch of your television set and, go and do something less boring instead.

http://www.culttelly.co.uk/lyrics/why.html

Why are you going on about the full title of the show.

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Ok one of us is not understanding, I posted a link to the actual theme tune, sung with the cartoon. The words you posted are not in the theme tune, the words you posted are the full title of the prog.

Why am I seeing rods? :dry:

DanB
08-22-2005, 11:18 AM
cos your eyes are have things called rods in them perhaps?

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 11:19 AM
:huh: sounds painful

manker
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Ok one of us is not understanding,
Ya think :D

Jon L. Obscene
08-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Ok replace the "Ok one of us" with "You're" :P