PDA

View Full Version : Walking the web

ian_28
08-22-2005, 09:31 PM
INTERNET users will soon be able to walk the streets of New York and other cities-without leaving their seat.
Website Amazon has commissioned 35 million street-level photos in 24 major US cities.
Its block view system will allow users to explore by clicking on buttons to navigate their way round.
A spokesman said: "it's like a virtual tour of the cities. You can locate parking lots, check out the shopfronts and get a feel for the different neighbourhoods."
The site under development is at maps.a9.com.

Rip The Jacker
08-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Damn, that is so cool!

Too bad they don't have images of my street and apartment, but a bunch of nearby streets. They actually took photos of the entire streets going side to side, it really is almost like your walking there!

Very cool. :)

GepperRankins
08-22-2005, 10:40 PM
i hear we'll have flying buses and colour televisions soon too

ian_28
08-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Damn, that is so cool!

Too bad they don't have images of my street and apartment, but a bunch of nearby streets. They actually took photos of the entire streets going side to side, it really is almost like your walking there!

what website is that then, is it amazon or what?

Santa
08-22-2005, 11:25 PM
will it also consist of those scenarios where you can't find a way out and you shoot at every brick/thing/mm you see?

Rip The Jacker
08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Damn, that is so cool!

what website is that then, is it amazon or what?
You just posted it. Look at your first post. :lol:

http://maps.a9.com/

I found my work place, my school, and my grandma's house with it. Man I have too much free time. :lol:

sArA
08-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Excellent...found my old apartment block...the pub.... :)

DarthInsinuate
08-23-2005, 12:29 AM
hmm, interesting, but there's no giant T in San Francisco Bay :dry:

ian_28
08-23-2005, 04:19 PM
is that all there are i thought there be loads of photos, mind you a bet they will be adding many more in the coming months.

tesco
08-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh, not as impressive as i thought.
I expected it to be likea 3d walkaround the city thing, not just browse a couple pictures. :snooty:

ian_28
08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
I expected it to be likea 3d walkaround the city thing, not just browse a couple pictures. :snooty:

thats what i thought what a let down.

Rip The Jacker
08-23-2005, 11:14 PM
3D walkround the city thing? That'd be hard to pull off.

Imagine, Amazon.com took 35 million photos, of entire streets left to right, and put them together in order online. That's a lot of work. I don't see Yahoo Maps or Google Maps give out detailed photos of the streets, Google has satellite photos, but those are even worse.

35 million photos in an organized order online? I'm impressed. :01: