PDA

View Full Version : Using 'lol' as Punctuation.

manker
08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Is crap. Please refrain.

Similarly, I heard a teacher from East Anglia on the radio talking about his pupils' use of the words 'fuck' and 'fucking'.

He said they are used mostly as one would use a comma or full stop, rather than as an adjective or adverb - and hardly ever to indicate the act of copulation.

Presumably he meant in the spoken word but I think you all understand what I(he) mean(t).

Fucking kids :dry:

ziggyjuarez
08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
agree sir manker.But in intronet and social occassion are surely ok right?

manker
08-30-2005, 11:00 AM
I applaud the inventive use of the words 'fuck' and/or 'fucking'.

However, I do not like either used as a fucking comma or a full fucking stop, fuck :angry:

manker
08-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Also, using 'lol' is worse.

ziggyjuarez
08-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Please reply as i am dieing of anticipation.

ziggyjuarez
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM

However, I do not like either used as a fucking comma or a full fucking stop, fuck :angry:
thanks for the reply.
Rebuttal
can you give me a reason for such gramma hate?surely this would put you in the un-norm.

Santa
08-30-2005, 11:12 AM
yeah like totally right dude, i totally like agree with you manker
i mean like whatever

manker
08-30-2005, 11:20 AM

thanks for the reply.
Rebuttal
can you give me a reason for such gramma hate?surely this would put you in the un-norm.Reply to rebuttal:

Not really :unsure:

manker
08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
yeah like totally right dude, i totally like agree with you manker
i mean like whateverI don't mind that 'cos I speak like that a bit, like.

Except the 'dude' part :ermm:

ziggyjuarez
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Surfs up!Lets party dudes!

enoughfakefiles
08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

:rolleyes:

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah they also reckon kids are handing in work with sms text, like l8r and ur etc
Although thats quite a serious thing, it could possibly change the english language once again lol

Jonno :cool:

Barbarossa
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Yeah they also reckon kids are handing in work with sms text, like l8r and ur etc
Although thats quite a serious thing, it could possibly change the english language once again lol

Not really. Just mark them as FAIL, and move on..

They can say l8r and ur as often as they like when they sweep the streets and collect my bags of rubbish lol

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
:lol: ...........wait a minute......I've done that for a living :dry:

Actually I been thinking about this, Manker.......I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using lol and fuck as comma's etc?

asmithz
08-30-2005, 12:19 PM

Not really. Just mark them as FAIL, and move on..

They can say l8r and ur as often as they like when they sweep the streets and collect my bags of rubbish lol

That would be false, its a waste in SMS to input the whole word. Someone like me, takes for ever to text... I guess. So i shorten the words so the person waiting for a response gets one quicker.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Yes thats true, I do it online to some extent.
But kids should'nt be using it so much they start actually writing it down.
Like I said, if this generation is like it, the next will be worse and in a few generations the English languge will have been change.

You know what it's like now, JP and Manker etc using words no one knows what they mean, but they're real words.....how far does it go?

Barbarossa
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
It really annoys me when people use "etc" when they think that a list of examples is necessary to back up their point, but they can't be bothered to think of any more examples of what they are trying to say, etc, lol

asmithz
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Like I said, if this generation is like it, the next will be worse and in a few generations the English languge will have been change.

You know what it's like now, JP and Manker etc using words no one knows what they mean, but they're real words.....how far does it go?

WOW!
I'd have to slap someone if they wrote it down :lol:

Barbarossa (member.php?u=5)... Dont be picky

manker
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually I been thinking about this, Manker.......I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using lol and fuck as comma's etc?:o

I felt sure you'd get it straight away. I mean lol you're normally quite good at stuff like that lol

manker
08-30-2005, 12:33 PM

WOW!
I'd have to slap someone if they wrote it down :lol:It.

manker
08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Actually I been thinking about this, Manker.......I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using lol and fuck as comma's etc?:o

I felt sure you'd get it straight away. I mean lol you're normally quite good at stuff like that lolWhat I meant to say was fuck you're normally quite good at stuff like that lol

GepperRankins
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
anyone here worried they're gonna say lol in real life instead of laughing? :fear:

Barbarossa
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
anyone here worried they're gonna say lol in real life instead of laughing? :fear:

No.

manker
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
anyone here worried they're gonna say lol in real life instead of laughing? :fear:Dan called me manker a few times lol

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I just think people who use no emoticons , code or not look miserable.
After all, this is text, emoticons are there for the reason to display emotions no?
I use them to that end, if I type something meant to be funny I put a lol.

Bit like I could call someone a wanker.

You're a wanker

You're a wanker lol

Admittedly this is abused for people who want to say something but try to make it look like their kidding when in fact they mean it. I'm not guilty of that, if I wanna call you a wanker nasty I will.

Hmmmmm I think I may have dug myself a hole there :frusty:

manker
08-30-2005, 12:59 PM
After all, this is text, emoticons are there for the reason to display emotions no?

Jonno :cool:Emoticons are there for those who cannot properly find words to convey to the reader how they feel.

I use them myself, on occasion :cry:

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I dissagree, simple words in text can be read in so many ways, see edit above.

Bender once said to me when the board went down and we were on that temp board?
He said "You look scary without smilies"
I find it harder to tell what feeling someone is putting into words.
But thats my personal preference to use them.

peat moss
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Its our busy life style, plain and simple . :)

manker
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Just seen your edit:

I use them to that end, if I type something meant to be funny I put a lol.

Bit like I could call someone a wanker.

You're a wanker

You're a wanker lol

Admittedly this is abused for people who want to say something but try to make it look like their kidding when in fact they mean it. I'm not guilty of that, if I wanna call you a wanker nasty I will.

Hmmmmm I think I may have dug myself a hole there

Jonno :cool: Emoticons are there for those who cannot properly find words to convey to the reader how they feel.

ahctlucabbuS
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8415/b4jesuslol9ah.th.jpg (http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=b4jesuslol9ah.jpg)

lol

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Emoticons are there for those who cannot properly find words to convey to the reader how they feel.

So why moan cos others use them? :huh:

lynx
08-30-2005, 01:56 PM

WOW!
I'd have to slap someone if they wrote it down :lol:

Barbarossa (member.php?u=5)... Dont be picky

asmithz (dickhead.php?u=0)

JPaul
08-30-2005, 02:42 PM
.... and in a few generations the English languge will have been change.

The chap has a point.

A damn fine point.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Well it's already happend, look at the terminology I use compared to you JP, then you get kids using different to me.
I guess it could be called evolution to some degree, cosidering we no longer say things like "Thou" and Thee and all that type of stuff.
So maybe sms anguage is the next stage in the english language :unsure:
Kinda scary.

Guillaume
08-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Kinda scary.

It's not only the English language. It's happening here too.

But that won't make me despair about today's youths. It's only some fad that will die out as they outgrow their personal view of what's cool.
We had a slang of our own in the eighties and so did our parents and grandparents in their time and at the time the more learned persons did doubt the future of the language too.

The only thing we can hope for is that the schooling system doesn't go along with this. Let them talk they way they want outside of school but have them (and I mean "have them", punish them if needs be) learn the proper way to speak and write.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 03:47 PM
like i woz :01:

I know it's only a fad as you say, but like I said, look at the way languages change, I'm sure you don't speak the same way they did 100 years ago, therefore the language changes, I'm wondering if this sms language is the next evolutionary step :unsure:

Ok maybe thats a bit ott :lol:

Guillaume
08-30-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm sure you don't speak the same way they did 100 years ago

Why, yes I do, sir. And if ever you utter this sort of codswallop again and choose to question my upbringing, I'll meet you on the field of honour. Of course, as the offended, the choice of arms will be mine.

Or as the younger ones might say, oi! say dis agin and I'll pop a cap in yo ass, bitch. :angry:

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
I have no idea what you just said :blink:

Oh cept the arms bit, can I use both?

Guillaume
08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Stop playing dumb, rodboy. :fist:

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
I can speak perfectly well :)

In fact I rarely stfu :lol:

thewizeard
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
I feel like lol using theword lol lol lol as a punctuation mark lol and preferably a comma lol but I'd better not lol had I?

Now lol have I put all the lol's in the right place?

JPaul
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Well it's already happend, look at the terminology I use compared to you JP, then you get kids using different to me.
I guess it could be called evolution to some degree, cosidering we no longer say things like "Thou" and Thee and all that type of stuff.
Kinda scary.

The problem being that as language changes it often loses some of it's nuance. Remember the last time we discussed a similar topic, I suggested that we could do away with about 27 words, because they all really just meant "nice". The same thing may actually happen irl.

I have no problem with the evolution of language, good for it says I. However when it leads to a dilution of our ability to express exactly what we mean, rather than produce some nebulous approximation, I think it's a bad thing.

Which is why I hate the phrase "you know what I meant", no I know what you said, which is oft times different. People seem to assume a sort of telpathy, they can say something which resembles their meaning and we will divine the rest. Well it wont wash, Gertrude.

The same goes for the written word, only it's much worse. We don't have the non-verbal signals to help us. I am given to understand that 2/3 of spoken language is non-verbal, we lose all of that when we type rather than speak.

Which is why I understand your desire to use t'smillie. Tho' I myself try to use them sparingly. :lookaroun

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
@ Nigel ..No thats all wrong, here.....

lol I feel like using the word as a punctuation mark lol and preferably a comma lol lol but I'd better not had I? lol lol lol

Otherwise it just makes no sense.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Which is why I understand your desire to use t'smillie. Tho' I myself try to use them sparingly. :lookaroun

Finally!! someone who understands and put it into words that make sense.

Thank you for that :D

Unfortunately I find it very difficult to tell someones mood when I can't see their face or hear their voice, when I read something in a serious discussion it's serious and requires very little use of emotion, which is similar to real life, you make your point then listen to someone else.
When pissing about I find it hard to distinguish between someone having a giggle and being offensive, can't help it, just the way I am.........hence my use of smilies.

Example, you play a trick/joke on someone and it's possible it could upset them, like a java bomb, some people will laugh , others wont.

Why did you do that? :lol: <- person who found it funny

Why did you do that? :angry: <- person who did'nt

Why did you do that? <- which one is it?

Guillaume
08-30-2005, 04:17 PM
@ Nigel ..No thats all wrong, here.....

lol I feel like using the word as a punctuation mark lol and preferably a comma lol lol but I'd better not had I? lol lol lol

Otherwise it just makes no sense.

It still doesn't make any sense:

, I feel like using the word as a punctuation mark , and preferably a comma , , but I'd better not had I? , , , :dry:

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 04:20 PM
That was my whole point when I asked Manker about what he meant, I still don't get the comma, fullstop thing he was on about, I just figured he meant the overuse of lol and fuck etc.

Gripper
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Fuck :lol:

JPaul
08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Is this the entry in the "Most uses of the word "fuck" in a serious thread" competition.

sparsely
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I think smilies make much better punctuation marks ;) :P

lynx
08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
, ,

JPaul
08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I think smilies make much better punctuation marks ;) :P
We should have a smillie to represent the question mark (foul abomination).

I suggest the Curly Wurly.

manker
08-30-2005, 06:14 PM
I have no problem with the evolution of language, good for it says I. However when it leads to a dilution of our ability to express exactly what we mean, rather than produce some nebulous approximation, I think it's a bad thing.

Which is why I hate the phrase "you know what I meant", no I know what you said, which is oft times different. People seem to assume a sort of telpathy, they can say something which resembles their meaning and we will divine the rest. Well it wont wash, Gertrude.

The same goes for the written word, only it's much worse. We don't have the non-verbal signals to help us. I am given to understand that 2/3 of spoken language is non-verbal, we lose all of that when we type rather than speak.

Jonno, you do realise that JP and I said exactly the same thing. Even down to the single, almost self depreciating, smiley at the end.

Altho' I was rather more efficient :snooty:

Emoticons are there for those who cannot properly find words to convey to the reader how they feel.

Peerzy
08-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Stupid people lolollolololo (!!1!11!1!!)

Gripper
08-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Fec it was trying to make a lol smiley out of comma's but fecked up :lol:

JPaul
08-30-2005, 07:19 PM

Jonno, you do realise that JP and I said exactly the same thing. Even down to the single, almost self depreciating, smiley at the end.

Altho' I was rather more efficient :snooty:

I liked the bit where I typed irl.

manker
08-30-2005, 07:31 PM
It was rather noice where irl flowed into nirl - but I edited that bit out of your post :shifty:

JPaul
08-30-2005, 07:33 PM
It was rather noice where irl flowed into nirl - but I edited that bit out of your post :shifty:
Hah, the green eyed monster strikes.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 07:36 PM
@JP... Yeah I noticed that and was rather dissapointed in your laziness :P

@Manky... Yeah but he said it how I can understand it :) .......gotta remember teh pea in a can I got rattling round :01:

manker
08-30-2005, 07:38 PM
@Manky... Yeah but he said it how I can understand it :) .......gotta remember teh pea in a can I got rattling round :01: Altho' I'm not too sure of it's relevance - you really should make an effort to walk to the lavatory when you want to urinate.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Now, you see there's a spelling difference there which is why that joke only works vocally.
And I don't like lavatories, full of men in white coats cutting stuff up to see how it works :ermm:

manker
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Ah, I misunderstood.

Jonno, you should have used more smilies.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Yes that is true, I think it could have done with a couple more :) 's and :rolleyes: 's

I apologise and will refrain from such a lapse in communication in the future.

manker
08-30-2005, 07:48 PM
I apologise and will refrain from such a lapse in communication in the future.Huh :blink:

JPaul
08-30-2005, 07:49 PM
@Manky... Yeah but he said it how I can understand it :) .......gotta remember teh pea in a can I got rattling round :01:

Write for the reader, that's my motto.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
You said

"Ah, I misunderstood.

Jonno, you should have used more smilies."

Therefore I had a lapse in communication, missunderstandment (is that a word? :lol: ) ensued leading you to prompt me to realise I should have used more smilies to clarify my post to you the reader.
I then apologised for said lapse and aim to avoid future communication problems.

JPaul
08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
You said

"Ah, I misunderstood.

Therefore I had a lapse in communication, missunderstandment (is that a word? :lol: ) ensued leading you to prompt me to realise I should have used more smilies to clarify my post to you the reader.
I then apologised for said lapse and aim to avoid future communication problems.

I feel a Pygmalion moment coming on.

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 07:57 PM
:huh: you're gonna fall in love with a big lump of wood that looks like a woman?

manker
08-30-2005, 08:01 PM
You said

"Ah, I misunderstood.

Jonno :cool:Bless.

Thanks, Jonno.

JPaul
08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
:huh: you're gonna fall in love with a big lump of wood that looks like a woman?

:ohmy:

You're going to mass debate until your cranial gland swells out of all proportion. :sick:

Jon L. Obscene
08-30-2005, 08:22 PM
I doubt that very much.
But I was actually refering to you, when you said "I feel a....." I thought you meant yourself. Maybe had you used some smilies I would have understood :)

JPaul
08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I doubt that very much.
But I was actually refering to you, when you said "I feel a....." I thought you meant yourself. Maybe had you used some smilies I would have understood :)

Oh yes, 'twas I who felt the moment coming on.

However it related to your duplicitousness.

sArA
08-30-2005, 11:55 PM
lol

Smith
08-30-2005, 11:56 PM
This thread = lol

DanB
08-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Are you adressing Jonno here by any chance?

manker
08-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Are you adressing Jonno here by any chance?Among others - altho' he thought I meant smilies, for some reason :huh:

Tbh, I didn't even think of Jonno til he started posting in the thread, it was mainly the gameboy posse that sometimes infest the lounge.

Jon L. Obscene
08-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Gameboy posse? :lol:

Thats not me, I was a Gamegearer :01:

Alien5
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
lol
:lol: @ lol