PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans- restoration or relocation?

tracydani
09-02-2005, 07:03 AM
I am curious what people think the future response to this disaster should be. I am talking about after everyone is removed to safety and we can begin to focus on what to do next.

After the last several hurricane seasons I have thought about this and when the last one came that threatened to wipe out New Orleans I think I finally decided.

To me it seems irresponsible to take all of the money to re-build and invest it in an area that is likely to sustain massive damage or potentialy be wiped out again. I think this about certain areas of Florida and California as well, so I am not trying to pick on New Orleans :P

Give me your ideas on this.

Please keep it civil as this is not meant to start any fights, I am just curious if I am alone in this and what the average person thinks aside from me :)

TD

EDIT: I am not proposing the massive relocation of people in other areas before the fact, just what should we do in the future when these things happen again.

Peerzy
09-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Move, even if a hurricane only comes along every few hundred years it means that every few hundreds of years thousands die and hundreds of thousands lose everything.

Either that or spend some money on building up a real protection that could realistically protect the city from a level 5 hurricane.

Also bringing hundreds of thousands of troops back from a certain middle eastern country to help with the rescue opperation might help.

whypikonme
09-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Fill the whole place up, twenty feet deep, and start all over again.

Santa
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
its not as simple as that
people own parts of that land

ziggyjuarez
09-02-2005, 09:33 AM
its not as simple as that
people own parts of that land
martial law is in effect

cpt_azad
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Fill the whole place up, twenty feet deep, and start all over again.

That is pretty damn silly if you ask me. It could easily turn into a large quagmire.

They should def. consider relocation.

Peerzy
09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Meaning Americans finally get to go and shot anything they want. This must be the happest day in their lives for 90% of America (the other 10% being the ones who have lost everything and are being shot at)

Cheese
09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Meaning Americans finally get to go and shot anything they want. This must be the happest day in their lives for 90% of America (the other 10% being the ones who have lost everything and are being shot at)

Let us hope they are more discerning than the Yahoo news reporters...http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t101384.html

whypikonme
09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
They should def. consider relocation.

That sounds pretty darn silly to me.

Barbarossa
09-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Having water everywhere works for Venice, so why not turn it into an American Venice? :huh:

Think of how pretty all those canals would be, better than before, and all the extra tourism would be welcome I'd guess... (Hardly anyone would go to Venice if it wasn't for all the water)...

Just bring in a few gondola's and some ice-cream, all that jazz playing and gondola's drifting about would go together well I think..

It's perfect. Everyone's a winner. All the extra tourism revenue could go towards maintaining the waterways and giving everyone their own personal dinghy. ;)

manker
09-02-2005, 12:10 PM
America copy something European? - that'll never catch on.

===

I think the only option is restoration.

Apart from anything else, people are so attached to where they come from as it's closely interlinked with their identity. There were problems in my locality a couple of (um, maybe like ten) years ago when a row of thirteen terraced houses were in danger of being totally demolished should an old tip subside.

The tip was unstable and 'experts' said that it was likely to collapse, causing total devastation for the hillside community, in the next year or two.

Only seven out of the families decided to move, even when the local council offered them up to five times the market value for their houses. It's dropped out of the news now so as far as I know, they're still there waiting to die :huh:

Busyman
09-02-2005, 02:18 PM
How so? Most things in America are copies of Europe.

Maybe you're right though. That was when America was started by immigrants from Europe.
-----

Restoration....relocation won't happen. A bigger dam would be built first.

BigBank_Hank
09-02-2005, 03:28 PM
First off contrary to what Robs said martial law is not in effect. It takes an act of congress to pass martial law and congress was rushing back to Washington last night.

Relocating the city is just not an option. San Francisco wasn’t relocated after the devastating earthquake was it? Even though it’s built on a major fault line it was rebuilt knowing that it could happen again.

The city should be rebuilt with better protection for the next hurricane because just like earthquakes they are inevitable.

GepperRankins
09-02-2005, 04:14 PM
the poor kids should kick texas out, capture the oil rigs and start their own country

Cheese
09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Will they be renaming the city if they restore it then?

GepperRankins
09-02-2005, 05:00 PM
very new orleans?

tracydani
09-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, the majority of the polls are saying they move or stay at their own expense.

I understand that people can be very attached to their homes (although I personaly could care less if I ever get back home) and would like to go back when this is over. But I do not agree that they do it at our expense. Obviously, that's why I posted this :P

But it is times like these that I think we should start experimenting with new ways of doing things. People have been designing new ways of doing things, better (so they think) ways of living and I think this is the time to try some of them out.

I just read that we have another month or 2 of hurricane season to go through and that our oil problems may get far worse. Sounds like a great time to really focus on alternatives.

Housing troubles have been around forever. Sounds like a great time to try the alternatives talked about in the past. I remember some real crazy sounding ones in articles in the past where whole communities of thousands of people live in a somewhat self sustaining building. Housing, malls, jobs, parks, whatever all in one. Or what about the underground type housing where whole communities live underground and the farms/parks are above them (probably not the best idea for an area prone to flooding :lol: ). Hell, that barge/boat whatever it was thing that was supposed to go around the world in 3 years and be a mostly self sustaining city of 10,000 or so sound like it would be great for this area ;)

I am not saying those are the answers, but I definately think these are the times to start trying new methods rather then just going back to the way things were because people have become attached. I don't think just moving back and building bigger dikes or whatever is the answer though either.

Although the Venice thing sounds sorta cool :D How would Venice do in a class 5 hurricane :ph34r:

Rat Faced
09-02-2005, 08:19 PM
First off contrary to what Robs said martial law is not in effect. It takes an act of congress to pass martial law and congress was rushing back to Washington last night.

Your thinking of posse comitatus, which doesnt allow the Military to be used for policing.

The National Guard is exempt from this.

However, i agree with you... legally Martial Law is not in force, as its not recognised by Louisiana's State Law.

Again, however...

A spokesman for Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco said in a briefing late Wednesday that military police, Louisiana state troopers and police from other states were being deployed to New Orleans, and that pursuant to a request by the Governor federal troops would be assigned to search-and-rescue to free Louisiana National Guard personnel for law enforcement in the city.

Anywhere else, this is a discription of Martial Law.

Soldiers doing Law Enforcement.

the body of law imposed by the military

As to the Poll..

Let 'em live where they want to live ffs.

What you gonna do? Move everyone in the world that lives near a fault, where Tornados hit, thats on a flood plain, near a volcano, Where Hurricanes hit, where it doesn't rain...

Hell, cant fit EVERYONE into Newcastle :rolleyes:

As to making Them pay for it?.... remember that next time your town is flooded out or hit by a natural disaster. Thats what Taxes, Insurance and Charity is for.

No one can go through life without disaster.

tracydani
09-02-2005, 08:37 PM
I have no problem with disaster aid. It is repeatedly paying for restoration in areas that have a disasters regularly that bothers me. These hurricanes happen every year without fail and often in the same areas.

I would be surprised if insurence is up to handling this kind of thing, and I personaly do not think tax dollars should pay for it over and over again.

Kind of reminds me of our welfare system where you have a kid and get money. Have another kid and get more. Repeat as often as desired. I know they are not the same thing, but the idea is the same. Stay in an area where you keep facing the same disaster, there should come a point in time where you are responsible for it yourself.

Guillaume
09-03-2005, 12:21 AM
First rebuild the levees and make them extra-strong like the ones controlling the Mississipi's waters (correct me if I'm wrong). Then rebuild.
If my hometown was badly damaged by some catastrophe, I'd want it rebuilt the way it was.

manker
09-03-2005, 11:17 AM
How so? Most things in America are copies of Europe..:o

maebach
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
he admitted :unsure:

trajillo
09-04-2005, 09:11 AM
i think it all turn out to a be a police state city and the "looters" have to start a underground faction againest the police and re-claim the city as their own. Then finally the looters win the war and push the police back...soon the looters will find the nuclear war head under the city, foolishly the citizens of the new built city now with nuclear atomic bomb power.. destroy america's capital to take over the country by going from city to city recuirting members to join them. stay tuned for the rest of the story. i might write a book

Barbarossa
09-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Although the Venice thing sounds sorta cool :D How would Venice do in a class 5 hurricane :ph34r:

Probably not so great... but then again, what would? :unsure:

manker
09-05-2005, 12:32 PM

Probably not so great... but then again, what would? :unsure:You never hear of any Inuit settlements getting decimated by hurricanes.

Sure, you say that they don't live anywhere near the tropics but I say it's more to do with aerodynamics and the low centre of gravity of an igloo.

Barbarossa
09-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Probably not so great... but then again, what would? :unsure:You never hear of any Inuit settlements getting decimated by hurricanes.

Sure, you say that they don't live anywhere near the tropics but I say it's more to do with aerodynamics and the low centre of gravity of an igloo.

Ah, but they would get decimated by a heatwave... :shifty:

manker
09-05-2005, 01:33 PM
They haven't been so far, how do they do it :huh:

tracydani
09-05-2005, 01:42 PM
It's all in how hard you freeze the snow and ice. If you do it right, the breading will crisp up nicely without melting the igloo at all.

Everose
09-08-2005, 10:59 PM
I will be interested to see how they rebuild.....if they comply with their floodplain ordinance and their mitigation plans. In order to be a member of the NFIP (National FloodPlain Insurance Program) they would have had to pass an ordinance which sets very strict, expensive-to-comply with regulations for any new structure build on a floodplain. The City's Mitigation plan, which is an addendum to their Emergency Preparedness Plan lays this out and even states they are responsible for maintaining any levees. FEMA would be responsible for overseeing compliance of these ordinances, though. By the time they rebuild......FEMA may be long gone. ;-)

MagicNakor
09-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Having water everywhere works for Venice...

Until it inevitably sinks into the ocean. Venice is sinking; it's estimated in 50 years it'll be underwater, and the city has been pouring money into the issue. Right now, I believe, their currant plan is a $5 billion series of sea-gates.

:shuriken:

tracydani
09-23-2005, 05:57 PM
So, how much money have we spent so far in cleanup? Only to have the levies failing and neighborhoods flooding again..... We couldn't even wait until the season was over so we could really improved saftey before sending people back in.

ferdinand
09-23-2005, 06:18 PM
i think it all turn out to a be a police state city and the "looters" have to start a underground faction againest the police and re-claim the city as their own. Then finally the looters win the war and push the police back...soon the looters will find the nuclear war head under the city, foolishly the citizens of the new built city now with nuclear atomic bomb power.. destroy america's capital to take over the country by going from city to city recuirting members to join them. stay tuned for the rest of the story. i might write a book

Nice, we should just let the people that couldn't leave stay and learn to live in the water. Maybe they could evolve into mermaids (the sooner the better, who knows with chemcials floating around) and throw grand parties and sing and dance...maybe even brush their hair with forks. Like the little mermaid. :D