PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Engine knowledge

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok I'm fairly handy with engines but this has got me stumped (no pun intended) :frusty:

My sisters b/f bought a
Husqvarna 265RX Forestry Brush Cutter
http://www.portable-electric-power-generators.com/images/powertools/husqvarna/265RX.gif

They retail at £743.99, he got it off ebay for £100, the guy told him he'd get £4-500 return if he resold it :rolleyes: yearight, anyway I think the reason it was cheap is cos the fecking thing wont start :frusty:

Right, I got a new plug , correct gap, good spark.
I've adjusted the High and Low carb jets from 3/4 out to 1 1/2 out at 1/8 intervals.
The mix is 30-50/1 2-stroke depending on what you use it for (I put 40/1 in)
I take the plug out and have a good clean fine spray of fuel, no spitting.
The kill switch was a bit finiky but I've fixed that (and besides , I'd have no spark if it was that)
I've checked compression, seems fine.
I've overhauled the carb and cleaned the jets.
The piston isn't sticking or ceased as she pulls over fairly easily.
The first time you try to start it the engine will "Run" (not start but the piston kinda rolls as if it's about to start), then for the rest of the day it simply turns as you pull the cord.

Now I'm thinking it's either the diaphragm in the carb has hardened or possibly split, but that would effect the fuel output which seems fine.
The only other thing I can think of is the timing is out, as far as I know it's not eletronic ignition so no points, but it's possible the flywheel has shifted somehow.
If the piston isn't at the top when the spark hit it wont ignight, other than that I really con't think of what else could be wrong :unsure:

Any ideas?

Jonno :cool:

DarthInsinuate
09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
try telling your boyfriend to stick his hand in the blades while you start it

Guillaume
09-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Kick it?

Always work.

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 12:22 PM
:huh: I said my sisters b/f you nugget :frusty:

And that makes no difference cos the blade wont turn til you started it and engauged the gear :rolleyes:

@Guil.... Tried that :lol: and shaking it :01:

DarthInsinuate
09-06-2005, 12:26 PM
have you tried humping it, i hear love is the most powerful of emotions, even more powerful than Green Lantern

HeavyMetalParkingLot
09-06-2005, 12:26 PM
How wet are the cylinders? If the are exceedingly wet, your flywheel needs adjustng.

BTW: isn't that piece of equipment kinda overkill for personal use?!?!?

Guillaume
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
@Guil.... Tried that :lol: and shaking it :01:
And it didn't work? Then I'm afraid your bf got robbed. :(

Gemby!
09-06-2005, 12:32 PM
who's eugene ?

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 12:33 PM
@hmpl.. The amount of fuel is correct, I've also poured a small amount down the cylinder to try and ignite it like that but no joy.
And no it's needed because the house she just moved into has a big garden which has been growing wild for 30 years :ph34r:

@Gems.... :lol: nice one :lol:

DarthInsinuate
09-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I've also poured a small amount down the cylinder to try and ignite it like that but no joy.

that is by far the kinkiest thing i have ever heard, what else do you and Eugene get up to?

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM
:lol: fuck off ya tosser :lol:

Barbarossa
09-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Anyone with carpet fitting knowledge? :angry:

Gemby!
09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
maybe thats who eugene is

Virtualbody1234
09-06-2005, 09:02 PM
If you have a strong spark, good compression and the correct amount of fuel without flooding it and it still won't start, then it must not have the correct ignition timing.

NikkiD
09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Well first, probably cause it's a husky. Why do you think we ditched em at work? :lol:

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
:lol: Yeah I know , there's a reason they called "Huskys" it's cos they run the same way an old man does.......slowly and sluggishly :lol:
I shuddered when he showed it to me, asked him if it runs he said "Yeah......kinda, bit spluttery at low revs" :rolleyes:

@VB.... Yeah thats the only thing I can come up with, maybe I'll see if I can manually shift the timing by eye (no light gun), I've done it before on bikes but these things run a lot higher revs and there's a smaller margine for error.

NikkiD
09-06-2005, 10:30 PM
:lol: Yeah I know , there's a reason they called "Huskys" it's cos they run the same way an old man does.......slowly and sluggishly :lol:
I shuddered when he showed it to me, asked him if it runs he said "Yeah......kinda, bit spluttery at low revs" :rolleyes:

@VB.... Yeah thats the only thing I can come up with, maybe I'll see if I can manually shift the timing by eye (no light gun), I've done it before on bikes but these things run a lot higher revs and there's a smaller margine for error.

The damn things were in for repairs more often than they were being run. :rolleyes:

I don't know about engines though, so I can't help ya. Just wanted to point that out. :P

Gripper
09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_and_Garden-Power_Tools-Cutters-Husqvarna-Husqvarna_265RX_Forestry_Brush_Cutter/display_~reviews

Oh dear:(

Everose
09-06-2005, 11:10 PM
If the color of the spark isn't light blue to nearly white, the spark is weak and you may try sanding the magnetic area on the flywheel and make sure there is no rust.

If that doesn't work you might pull the flywheel off and check the key between the flywheel and the crankshaft. If that key is sheared or partially sheared it could be throwing your timing off. (the key doesn't have to be completely sheared to keep it from running...just a slight slip could be troublesome) If it was me, I would just replace the key as they are most times pretty cheap. But make sure it is the right kind of key because that is a shear key designed to shear the key instead of twisting or breaking the crank shaft when you hit something with it.

Good luck with it.

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 11:32 PM
@Nik.... :lol: thanks for that

@Rosey... lol I did say I got new plug for it and yes it's a good spark :)
As for the key, it's possible but unlikely as they generally ratchet as you pull it over, especially with the force and speed of a small engine like this but this has a clean well compressed turnover, but worth a look (IF I can find my flywheel extractor lol) thanks for the idea :)

@Gripper.. Yeah thats what Nik said :lol: ffs they could'nt even make a decnt bike :rolleyes: can't beat a good old briggs and stratton engine, unbreakable :01:

Gripper
09-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Me mother in law got a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower,and the sister in law turned it upside down,that did a good job of feckin it up for a bit,got it fixed and it runs sweet now:)

Jon L. Obscene
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Turning an engine upside down will not do it much good, especially a 4-stroke as the valves and rocker housing will fill with oil and take a long time to drain back into the chamber.
Even a 2-stroke will fill the piston with oil making it near impossible for the fuel to ignite.
Can also blow the oil ring on the piston, if that happens you can end up with piston score which could possibly lead to crank warpage.

2-stroke engines are generally a piece of piss to work on and fix, but they do constantly go wrong due to the simple parts and workings, they are also not as hard wearing as 4-stroke, I'd never have another 2-stroke bike again :frusty:
The last one I had I ended up throwing on the beach in temper :lol:

Suzi GP100 :01:

Virtualbody1234
09-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Yeah. You can't kill those 4 stroke Briggs & Statton engines.

BigDaddy555
09-07-2005, 01:04 AM
its probably a short in the flux capacitor

Virtualbody1234
09-07-2005, 01:59 AM
its probably a short in the flux capacitor
1.21 jigawatts needed.