PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Bittorrent client Called µTorrent

oscarxp
09-25-2005, 07:33 AM
I finally found the best of the best client there called µTorrent.

µTorrent is an efficient and feature rich BitTorrent client for Windows sporting a very small footprint. It was designed to use as little cpu, memory and space as possible while offering all the functionality expected from advanced clients.

http://www.utorrent.com

Info.
We are now more frequently releasing development builds (marked with the -dev suffix) as we work our way to our milestones. These are equivalent to beta builds and may not always work -- but do work most of the time. Please keep a working version as backup.
Note that 礣orrent's version checking feature will only report availability of new development builds if you're already running a development version.
These builds are available in the download section under the "Development Releases" header.

BTW this BT client rocks and runs perfect.

Very light program containing most of the features you need in a BT client. Of course it doesn't have all the features of Azureus, but how many need them? And it beats BitComet and Azureus hands down.

http://www.utorrent.com/images/utorrent-screenshot.png

4play
09-29-2005, 11:15 PM
tried utorrent and it is a fantastic client. very lightweight and has all the feature i ever use. by the way 1.1.2 is out
http://www.utorrent.com/download/releases/utorrent-1.1.2.exe

{I}{K}{E}
09-30-2005, 08:33 AM
website is offline.. :P

dodgy368
10-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Just tried it and it works perfectly for me, and just in time as well cos after messing with my av and firewall, my bittornado started using 100% cpu.:w00t:

It also resumes d/l's started with another client cos it finished one started with bittornado.:)

Eclectic_Loner
10-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Nice.

Love it!

Is it as fast as Bitcomet/Bittornado/Azureus?

dodgy368
10-07-2005, 08:46 PM

YES.:D

horia
10-07-2005, 09:05 PM
BTW this BT client rocks and runs perfect.

Very light program containing most of the features you need in a BT client. Of course it doesn't have all the features of Azureus, but how many need them? And it beats BitComet and Azureus hands down.

http://www.utorrent.com/images/utorrent-screenshot.png

well what r u reffering to when u forst say that it hasn't all the ritch features of azureus and then u say that it beats it hands down??? how come??? I understand the memory usage, azureus is a little greedy , but still... :dry:

EDIT: btw version 1.1.3 is on :P http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/uTorrent.shtml

Eclectic_Loner
10-07-2005, 09:08 PM

YES.:D

For real? Wow. Can anyone else confirm this?

horia
10-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Nice.

Love it!

what do u mean by fast? the speed depends on the tracker and the seeder/leecer ratio... or what r u reffering 2?

mg32201
10-08-2005, 12:25 PM
it doesn't seem to have built-in IP filtering, does it?

horia
10-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I know that u guys say that it is build 4 low mem and cpu usage but a 89KB program cannot possibly compare to a 4MB...

abu_has_the_power
10-08-2005, 06:15 PM
how is this compared to bittornado?

does it have the option to randomize ports and to automatically forward them?

twisterX
10-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Since BitTorrent's introduction to the file-sharing world, many developers have jumped at the opportunity to create their own BitTorrent clients. Their aim is to improve upon the simple Python-based application written by Bram Cohen.

We've seen clients ranging from Python-based mods such as BitTornado to fully-featured java-based clients like Azureus. C++ applications in the form of BitComet have also spun off from the original client.

While feature rich, Azureus' major downfall is its java-based core which requires a significant amount of computer resources in order to run stable. Those who have lower-end PCs or those who simply don't want to dedicate the majority of their resources to one application turn to lighter, more suitable clients for their needs.

Until now, BitComet has been one of the most popular alternative clients to Azureus. It contains enough of Azureus' features to satisfy those searching for a decent torrent manager while keeping a low CPU and memory footprint.

It's this sacrifice of unneeded features over performance that can be a deciding factor when choosing a client. Now, BitTorrent users have one more choice in the growing fields of lightweight torrent clients - µTorrent. This new client brings additional competition as µTorrent appears to be the lightest application in the BitTorrent scene.

While running the application, µTorrent peaked at around 4K memory usage. This low footprint is over 10K lower than that of BitComet, which not only benefits the end user but offers additional benefits to the BitTorrent community. Its low resource consumption allows users who would otherwise close their download to continue seeding while continuing with other tasks.

The addition of µTorrent to the BitTorrent world has been warmly received by many avid torrent users. A brief exception to this occurred when an early bug caused µTorrent to send incorrect statistics to the invite-only music tracker Oink. The µTorrent developers quickly responded to this by releasing version 1.1.3 (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=391) , which squashed this bug and placed the client back in Oink's good books (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=438) .

In a market of freeware applications to choose from, µTorrent has certainly found a niche that will continue to attract a growing userbase and earn itself a rightful place

:source: Source: www.slyck.com
:view: Homepage: http://www.utorrent.com/
:down: Download Link: http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

ferdinand
10-08-2005, 09:59 PM
I know that u guys say that it is build 4 low mem and cpu usage but a 89KB program cannot possibly compare to a 4MB...

Sure it should be able to (not bloated with java), but instead of being a memory hog its constantly writing to the disk drive. Though I think the newest version fixed that.

horia
10-08-2005, 10:23 PM
well I have just installed it anyway and works fine( well as long as I looked at it it hadn't had any problems)... whis might be a good alternative if u have an older pc... but if u have a newer one and if u can spare some RAM use smth better :)

abu_has_the_power
10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
i really like this. and it randomizes and does upnp for the ports!!! :w00t:

anyone use this with filelist? any ratio problems?

FinalTheorem
10-09-2005, 01:34 AM
I used to use ABC until I switched to this, and I'm sure as hell not going back. This is the best bittorrent client I've used by far. I can actually use my computer while I'm downloading for a change.

BawA
10-09-2005, 04:10 AM
the client is stand alone :wtf:
are u guys sure its better then Azureus?

kazaaman
10-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Yea, Azureus uses too much ram for me, this barely reaches over 5mb

horia
10-09-2005, 07:19 AM
I used to use ABC until I switched to this, and I'm sure as hell not going back. This is the best bittorrent client I've used by far. I can actually use my computer while I'm downloading for a change.

how much RAM do u have got... I have 256+512DDR333 and I can play and dld with azureus in the same time and more :P

ziggyjuarez
10-09-2005, 08:11 AM

how much RAM do u have got... I have 256+512DDR333 and I can play and dld with azureus in the same time and more :P
good for you man.but for the avarage man this is great ap.

horia
10-09-2005, 08:41 AM
the only thing that I donot like about it is that it does not have IP filtering... when it will do it will be a competitive program on all points of view :D

malyo
10-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Looks really fine. It has almost everything i like in azureus, but i didn't manage to get it to work. At first it started downloading and everything seemed OK, but it was gaining speed to slowly and then suddenly it stopped downloading for no obvious reason.
I also got an "http error 404" for a torrent which i tryed in azureus afterwards and it worked perfectly.
So i guess i'll stick to azureus at least untill a better version of this is out.

DanManIt
10-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I've been using it and I like it a lot!

It's 1.1.4 now.

dodgy368
10-12-2005, 10:35 PM
It locked up on me, so I'm trying bitcomet for a while which seems ok, hope utorrent sort it cos it looked great.

DestroySBC
10-12-2005, 11:09 PM
I love uTorrent

I love how its like a C+ based version of Azurerues

But once thats around

O MAN

masterkenobi
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Looks really fine. It has almost everything i like in azureus, but i didn't manage to get it to work. At first it started downloading and everything seemed OK, but it was gaining speed to slowly and then suddenly it stopped downloading for no obvious reason.
I also got an "http error 404" for a torrent which i tryed in azureus afterwards and it worked perfectly.
So i guess i'll stick to azureus at least untill a better version of this is out.

Same think happened for me. I'll try it again when a new version comes out. Looks very promising!

mk :)

Aaron_T
10-13-2005, 06:36 PM
well i just downloaded it, gonna give it a wee test, i hope its as good as you guys let on.

horia
10-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I tested it 2.. works fine... has no problems :)

horia
10-14-2005, 02:36 PM
btw does anyone know if it has any ipfiltering/blocking and so on cause I have seen none.. :(

horia
10-14-2005, 02:40 PM
it seems that a new version it out there µTorrent 1.1.4
here is the dld link http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.1.4/utorrent.exe
and the language packs http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.1.4/utorrent.exe.lang

here is a complete change log

- Fix: Switch to vurlix's icon
- Fix: Changed default port to 32459
- Fix: Decrease about box sound volume to 50%
- Fix: Center several dialogs on the screen.
- Fix: Set the connect-to-tracker-on-exit timeout to 10 seconds instead of 60
- Fix: Show 100% for zero byte files.
- Fix: Missing OleInitialize from directory browser.
- Fix: Some missing translations.
- Feature: Superseed.
- Feature: Send no_peer_id=1 to tracker.
- Fix: Rename button in create torrent dialog to Cancel/Close depending on state.
- Fix: Replaced 'Create and start sharing' with a checkbox and fixed so it actually works.
- Feature: Don't play the sound unless you click on the uTorrent icon in the about box.
- Feature: Store peers in resume file.
- Fix: Resolve Peer Ips option is now instant.
- Feature: Don't include forced jobs in seed queue computations.
- Fix: Flags field in the UI sometimes said U incorrectly.
- Feature: Ban clients that result in too many hashfails.
- Feature: If you are adding a new torrent, check if the data has already been downloaded to the completed folder.
- Fix: Crash when adding torrent for some languages.
- Feature: Added logger window.
- Fix: Use system's default character set when creating font objects. Fixes some strings not displaying correctly in translations
- Fix: Use the system's window text color in the general detail tab
- Fix: any/all in seed priority were reversed.
- Change: Use WsaEventSelect() instead of select(). (Should get rid of Select() error)
- Fix: Fix crash bug for some tracker replies
- Change: Show scrape info only on the generals tab. Show internal list info in the list.
- Feature: Load announce-list.
- Feature: Added relevance column in peer view, shows how interesting the peer is.
- Feature: Don't allow connect to self.
- Fix: Be somewhat smarter when detecting if a torrent has already been downloaded to a location.
- Fix: Move completed torrents didn't work right, torrents would get lost on restart.
- Change: Unchoker will behave as if it's seeding when nothing is being downloaded.
- Feature: Submit utorrent version number in crashdumps.
- Feature: The %-done counter now doesn't include skipped pieces.
- Feature: Include version number in HTTP requests.
- Fix: File associate function didn't cleanup properly from BitComet.
- Feature: Show blocks that have been downloaded but not yet written to disk in a different color.
- Feature: Include incomplete pieces in the resume state.
- Fix: Produce better error dumps.
- Fix: Window wasn't maximized on startup.
- Feature: Auto load torrents from a specified directory.
- Change: Redesigned generals tab.
- Feature: Added option to limit # of connections for computers with unpatched SP2.
- Feature: Connect to tracker again if we don't have enough peers in the internal list.
- Fix: Seeder priority now works right if you've skipped some pieces.
- Feature: If there is no default download folder, remember the last chosen folder when asking where to save torrents.
- Feature: Added option to log peer traffic.
- Change: Switch to Determination's status icons.

Eclectic_Loner
10-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Boost!

Utorrent just got updated to 1.1.5 and boy is it looking good.

malyo
10-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I just downloaded the new 1.1.5 and it-s just great. It looks much better than the old one and also works perfectlly. I had some problems with the previous version but this one is definitely making me consider uninstalling Azureus.

top25
10-17-2005, 10:33 AM
I love that thier are new buttons for pause stop remove etc,another cool thing now is that it notifies you when a download is done.One thing i would like to see is the leeching and seeding torrents separated like Azureus though.

horia
10-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I have problems with it that I don't like .. it made 300 has fails for a 100MB torrent and that is unacceptable.. for my internet connection it counts really hard and I cannot afoord to lose this much data.. at least with azureus it shows me the has fails(usually 0) and bad data and I can see clearly ...it shuld have ASAP (in my opinion) a ip filter and a blocker like azuerus ( to ban guys that sed bad data) ...

top25
10-17-2005, 03:12 PM
I have problems with it that I don't like .. it made 300 has fails for a 100MB torrent and that is unacceptable.. for my internet connection it counts really hard and I cannot afoord to lose this much data.. at least with azureus it shows me the has fails(usually 0) and bad data and I can see clearly ...it shuld have ASAP (in my opinion) a ip filter and a blocker like azuerus ( to ban guys that sed bad data) ...

I suggest that you go to utorrent forums and suggest just what you would like to see in future versions and also tell them the problems your having.

http://forum.utorrent.com/index.php

miklosh
10-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Looks nice, testing it now.

DjMakelli
10-17-2005, 08:20 PM
i'll try this one out :D

Formula1
10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
um ok, i dont know if its just me, but this program actually takes up atleast 200 mb of memory while downloading a file... I noticed i only had 80mb of available ram, and when i closed the program, all of a sudden i had 300+MB of memory left.. before i checked the taskbar and the program itself is only took up (two) 2MB of space, so yeah, there is a major memory leakage with this program....

horia
10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
no it does not take that much .. press Alt+Ctrl+Del and then (with utorrent opened) right click on it and then press " Go to process " .. now there u can see what is the amount of memory occupied by it and the percent of the CPU occupied too..

Formula1
10-18-2005, 01:05 AM
no it does not take that much .. press Alt+Ctrl+Del and then (with utorrent opened) right click on it and then press " Go to process " .. now there u can see what is the amount of memory occupied by it and the percent of the CPU occupied too..

re-read my post, please. I stated that when i look at the task bar it said only took 2mb of space on RAM. But then once i shutdown the program, it freed up 200mb of space on ram.... This occured yesterday. It occured today also, once i shutdown the program completely, i noticed that 100+ MB was freed up..

I've switched back to Bitcomet now, and no such problem occurs with it..

Eclectic_Loner
10-18-2005, 05:02 AM
um ok, i dont know if its just me, but this program actually takes up atleast 200 mb of memory while downloading a file... I noticed i only had 80mb of available ram, and when i closed the program, all of a sudden i had 300+MB of memory left.. before i checked the taskbar and the program itself is only took up (two) 2MB of space, so yeah, there is a major memory leakage with this program....

It's a memory leak glitch.

If you are using 1.1.5 then go to preferences and check flush file cache or something and it would probably fix it. It's still better to go the official forums to confirm this as I've had very little knowledge about torrents at all. I've just read it there

It should be in the advanced option. 1.1.6 changed it so I'm not so sure whether I should tamper it or not when you have the new version.

kingdom
10-18-2005, 01:30 PM
looks like a very nice program , although how can i quickly tell if the ports are fully open and receiving all connections ect? i usually use bit tornado which has red/yellow/green lights to symbolise it.

ahctlucabbuS
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Great. So far it's only using 1/5 of the resources Azureus used!

Yuccaman
10-18-2005, 04:24 PM
looks like a very nice program , although how can i quickly tell if the ports are fully open and receiving all connections ect? i usually use bit tornado which has red/yellow/green lights to symbolise it.

The Status bar will display the message "Network OK" as the equivalent of Bit Tornado's green bar.... Other messages will appear there if not but I can;t remember those....

kingdom
10-18-2005, 10:12 PM

The Status bar will display the message "Network OK" as the equivalent of Bit Tornado's green bar.... Other messages will appear there if not but I can;t remember those....

http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/9969/utorrent4hy.jpg

Nothing there.

Can anyone help?

Yuccaman
10-19-2005, 06:38 AM

http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/9969/utorrent4hy.jpg

Nothing there.

Can anyone help?

Taken from the FAQ on the Webpage:

- If UPnP is enabled in the settings and a port was successfully acquired, it displays "UPnP(port)". If incoming connections were successfully made on the UPnP port, it appends "OK" to this indicator.
- If UPnP is disabled or no UPnP port was acquired, it displays NAT error if no incoming connections were established but outgoing connections are working fine.
- If incoming and outgoing connections seem to be working properly, it displays "Network OK"

So it looks like it's got a port, but is not receiving incoming connections to it.... I use manual Port Forwarding rather than UPnP so I'm unsure what would be happening...

malyo
10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Anybody having isues with the new 1.6.1? I run it but it doesnt appear in the taskbar nor does the uTorrent window. So i start it again and again.... Then i look at the processes in the task manager and all the utorrent processes i started are there :(
I went back to 1.5

kazaaman
10-21-2005, 11:26 PM
I downloaded the same torrent of a site and tried it with uTorrent and the speeds were not that good after waiting 30 minutes. I deleted the torrent and got it again from the same site, this time with Azureus and it was beasted out in 18 minutes. Its a good program but needs a lot more fixes and updates

Eclectic_Loner
10-22-2005, 09:37 AM
1.17 is out.

mr. nails
10-26-2005, 06:08 AM
i just started using this. buddy recommended. anyway, i'm using 1.1.7.2. slow, download speed, but great upload speed. hrm.. also, if u open up a torrents properties as it downloads what does, "ratio is: <= 150" mean?

another question that i've started a thread for. how do u get all the seeds in a swarm to connect? thanks.

edit: ratio is: <= 150 = 1.5 to 1? yeah.

mr. nails
10-26-2005, 07:11 PM
now i'm getting the busy sign like msn messenger has on my torrents. wtf does that mean? yep, maybe back to azureus tonite.

Woozle
10-26-2005, 07:50 PM
slow, download speed, but great upload speed.
I agree. I use BitComet to download, and µTorrent to seed. :01: :schnauz:

mr. nails
10-28-2005, 08:51 AM
well, my speed finally started peaking w/µTorrent, but i still had torrents that just wouldn't connect to any seed or peer. i deleted µTorrent and installed azureus again and the files that wouldn't connect at all for 3 days using µTorrent dl'ed in 25 mins w/azureus. all hail azureus. thx.

horia
10-28-2005, 12:17 PM
it may be because it does not have DHT right now..

elies
10-31-2005, 08:06 AM
hail utorrent though I've never used it, I like smaller program, if windows xp is as small as utorrent, why do we need a fast computer? a fast computer makes a bigger software, and a bigger software needs a fast computer.

megalon0
11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
it reminds me of azureus

frufft
11-22-2005, 11:25 PM
1.2 is out.

Does anyone know if there are any IP filters to uTorrent?

/F

falconman515
11-23-2005, 07:32 AM
ya ide like to know also....

My main question is is this better than BitTornado ????

Ive used BitTornado ever since i started DL'ing Torrents years ago....
ive tried all the other out and i hate em' is this worth going to???

brain2kx
11-23-2005, 09:31 AM
For Linux?
What is the best bittorrent client?

falconman515
12-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Any more recomendations on this client?

I have used BitTorando from day one of torrents years ago and have never switched what may be the way for me to go know cause it seems like when i load up torrents on tornado know it jumbles up my system and slows it down...and alot fo the time when i close a torrent it stays running in the background....i think its time to switch but what to????

ive tried Azerus and dont care for it couldnt get good speeds out of it and i just a simple click and go deal like BitTorando!!!

tree_for
12-10-2005, 03:27 AM
ya utorrent is pretty good, except e fact tat when i'm connected to a lot of peers say 200, e speed is inconsistent, but with BitComet, man it works like charm, BTW Azu suckz big time, a resource hog..

erRor67
12-11-2005, 12:54 AM
uTorrent is very nice........ Any if anyone is using another client you can easily try this one out. Its a stand alone programs so you dont need to install anything. Its only about 112KB in size. Supports one listening port, DHT, unPnp, IP blocker, nice interface, very light and clean. Just try it out and see what u think. :)

Bmad
12-11-2005, 01:01 AM
thanx for the tip

hope its better then bitcomet, speeds were very slow with that program

azureus was the best but it ate too much ram

so i'l try this one out

DJBLUE
12-11-2005, 01:16 AM
just installed it yesterday....nice client

schanke
12-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I think I stick with my bitcomet :D

T-Kimura
12-16-2005, 09:06 PM
i can connect to way more people using bitcomet than utorrent, dont really like utorrent, speed seems very incosistent.. bitcomet is the best to me. its just too bad 0.60 is banned from a lot of private trackers right now, have to stick to using hungry-for-resources-azureus.

tree_for
12-18-2005, 07:59 AM
hav to agree on ur first point, I'm experiencin similar stuff also!!

S!X
12-18-2005, 09:44 AM
So far Bittornado is best for me, The only reason I dont like it is because you have to have multiple instances open to download or upload more than one torrent.

RipSaw74
12-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah, i have been using Az since i first started using BiTTorrent.
I heard about UTorrent a couple of weeks ago, Tried it, and i must say iI AM IMPRESSED, all the speed, settings and functionality of Az, multiple Up/Downloads, Scheduled Speeds and a setting that raises your upload speed to unlimited when all the downloads are complete, but without the Resource eating, occasional freezing. . Same speeds as i was getting from Az, and i uninstalled Az and Java (always been a bit skeptical about Java),
I would highly recommend this for Power-Users and n00bs alike.
10/10

dodgy368
12-24-2005, 01:35 PM
It locked up on me, so I'm trying bitcomet for a while which seems ok, hope utorrent sort it cos it looked great.

Have been running the latest version for a few weeks now and it's working perfectly, great client.:D

Update, it's gone tits up now, all sorts of problems connecting, even got the blue screen!
Went back to bitcomet 0.59 which is running much better.

Saskradio
12-27-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm running this client now as well, and I love it!! Still not quite as good as Bitcomet (which I used to have) In my opinion. But since bitcomet gets you banned almost everywhere now, I will have to stick with the next best option, which is of course, µTorrent.

shazzar
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
just started using it and well impressed with its easy layout (abit like abc) and low resource use. will have to wait and see how the speeds compares.

Doba
12-30-2005, 06:59 PM
I tried using this, but I could never get good upload speeds. I could barely upload anything for that matter. Download speeds were much slower for me as well.

RaDa
12-30-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm really impressed with this program.

I used ABC first, then switched over to Azureus. But now I'm hooked to µTorrent. Has everything I need + it uses almost no resources.

scrambler
01-03-2006, 06:03 AM
i switched fom azureus to utorrent and i'm impressed. Azureus will still be my backup but so far, i have no complaints. I'm so impressed that its a tiny client.

Jozurr
01-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Switched from bitcomet- has been working great for me.

shazzar
01-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Need help to set up a proxy connection for utorrent if possible.

4play
01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
options / preferences / other options and whack your proxy connection in there.

shazzar
01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
how do i input the port number and do i select http option ?

kazaaman
01-07-2006, 12:15 AM
If you are confused about uTorrent's settings just go to www.utorrent.com or if you want a complete guide with awesome tips to help your speed increase go http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=34143. It helped my speed because at first the speeds were 35-45 but not they are 125-225.!!!!

I recommend that guide hands down

Formula1
01-14-2006, 08:37 PM
i have utorrent 1.4 now, and it's really great. no memory leakge, takes up only 3mb of memory. Bitcomet takes up 100MB!!

Piyush Singh
01-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Yes I agree.

GrantM
01-18-2006, 01:47 AM
i prefer azureus

badzman
01-19-2006, 04:40 AM
I like utorrent too as for azureus client, it simply takes too much resources causing my comp to lag.

bludhound
01-22-2006, 05:24 AM
uTorrent has been my client of choice too. I like it's small memory footprint.

-bh

tree_for
01-24-2006, 01:47 AM
but its slow compared to BitComet, but then again, the general opinion is that BitComet is a client abuser....

meaning that they send data faster to other BC while choking any other clients, not sure how true, but I guess I've experienced it!

rsabin
01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
µTorrent it's my client now.
Very fast, basic functions.
Try one time.

I've already used:
- Original BT: good, but lack of functions
- BitSpirit: Faster, functional, but consume memory
- ABC: Faster, functional, but no updates
- Azureus: Very functional, too memory
- BitComent: very good, but DHT!

Annemal
01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Hello everyone. I'm about to try Utorrent and I'm currently downloading a huge file as well as seeding another huge file. Can I exit Azereus, install Utorrent and resume the downloading of the file I am currently downloading and resume the file I'm currently seeding? If so, how do I do this and keep my stats?

Thanks a lot guys

Annemal :)

gjgjgj
02-26-2006, 04:23 AM
I was a loyal azureus fan till I saw the speed of the utorrent and the equivalence in features. Now I worship utorrent and I have uninstalled Azureus from my PC. If you share a similar experience, let us know.

Thanks,
Seeker

getbig
03-02-2006, 11:42 PM
utorrent is the best. it's so light!

Wizard_Mon1
03-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I just tried it today and i think i'm converted been using azureus for a long time but i'm having a problem with my comp recognising torrent files with utorrent, anybody know how to fix this, i'm using the new beta... will try the last stable to see if that fixes it.

pimply
03-08-2006, 10:12 PM
www.utorrent.com i just have a few comments about this NEW one, i only have one problum, instead of seeing my connection coloer green its now orange, why? :unsure:

Formula1
03-10-2006, 03:33 AM
it means that your network connection is being limited. Are you using a router? if so, then consider portforwarding it. And dont use the default bittorrent ports , which is 6881-6889 i think...

mitsuevo03
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I just started using utorrent 1.5 and it seems to work great and shares well.

ziggyjuarez
03-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Dont like the completed ect

horia
03-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Dont like the completed ect
why??

twisterX
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
what does that mean? :unsure:

Skiz
03-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Anyone know of any good uTorrent dock icons out there? I need one. :)

Vargas
03-24-2006, 03:35 AM
http://www.utorrent.com/skins.php

Skiz
03-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks, there were several nice ones there. :)

Skiz
03-29-2006, 10:55 PM
:unsure:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/8692/ut2cl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

lynx
03-29-2006, 11:35 PM
The remote client is using bittorent on the SMTP port, so ZA thinks uTorrent is trying to send mail.

Nothing to worry about, but you should probably block it. That way the remote client won't get connectivity which serves them right for being stupid.

Detale
03-30-2006, 03:04 AM
Yeah dude get rid of Zone Alarm it sucks ass! Try using kerio personal firewall and a different anti virus like nod32 or something better

Gamerguy6
03-30-2006, 05:45 AM
i tried zonealarm before it blocked my wifi connection so i couldnt recieve interenet.I guess i couldnt configure it right.

j0hn
03-30-2006, 07:26 AM
its not only on zone alarm
u get that stupid warning with avg virus scanners too
like lynx said, block it. its retarded to set ur bt client to use those ports

Kirkedir
03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
:unsure:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/8692/ut2cl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fill up remember this and Deny. Never ask you again. :D

titana
03-30-2006, 02:03 PM
i get email transmission messages with azureus , bitcomet as well. just deny the permission and no probs at all. do make za remember the setting.

Vargas
03-30-2006, 03:35 PM
i say permit it, the ppl that use port 25 for a listening port are mostly on edu accounts and have the fastest upload speed

lynx
03-30-2006, 11:24 PM
i say permit it, the ppl that use port 25 for a listening port are mostly on edu accounts and have the fastest upload speedWhat a good idea, leave another potential access point open for a malicious hacker. :dry:

cogito
04-01-2006, 12:23 AM
It must be blocked definitely...
i always block...

lordmorg
04-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I did everything that they told me to do. Configured everything. But its still slow. I am downloading a file called Top Gear about 25 GB in size. One of my friends said that he finished downloading the file in about a week with an average speed of 64KB. But whenever i am downloading the file it has a average speed of 3kb. Why is it like that? What am i doing wrong? Is there any other torrent client that will increase the speed?

Skiz
04-03-2006, 06:41 PM
It's probably NOT your client, as uTorrent is the fastest I've used. It's probably the tracker.

Was your friend using the same tracker?
Was your friend using the same client?
How many seeders/leechers is there?

LaMaOne
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Are you behind a router? If so, are your ports properly forwarded?
It sounds like you may have a NAT problem. Do you see a big yellow/red dot near the bottom of µTorrent?

I suggest you should carefully read the FAQ at www.utorrent.com

Or maybe more specificly:
http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What_do_the_Network_Status_lights_mean.3F

lordmorg
04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Was your friend using the same tracker? Don't know what this means
Was your friend using the same client? Yes
How many seeders/leechers is there? 85/1114

I don't have a router. At the bottom I seem a green dot. I also did that port test and it gave me the green light.

So first question, whats a tracker? Second question, what can i do?

dedset
04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
85 seeders / 1114 leechers is probably your main reason for the slow speeds, theres not enough sources in the swarm and as such your speed will continue to suck until the number of seeders greatly increases - or get the file from a private tracker, they have greater amounts of seeders because ratios are imposed on their users.

Shpongle
04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
slow? haven't noticed at all. maybe you haven't opened up the correct ports if you're using firewall.
agree on the point with alot of leechers.

luckylittle
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Try to check your ports (if they are goin thorugh)

paul warner
04-04-2006, 12:38 PM
i just downloaded utorrent 1.5 because i was using azureus, and it was eating my memory like it was nothing. i really need more ram....

anyways, i dont know how to turn on the protocall encryption....

any suggestions?

all it says is:

protocall encryption:

outgoing: forced

and the "allow incoming legacy connections" is checked.

any help? thanks!

fortwunty
04-04-2006, 05:18 PM
In the thread about protocol encryption on this forum, it shows "Enabled" and "Allow incoming connections" is checked. So either leave it as "Forced" or change to "Enabled". Your choice.

junior005
04-07-2006, 10:08 AM
What is your upload limit set to in utorrent?

Make sure you limit it as it affects DL speed.