PDA

View Full Version : Would you abort if you knew your child would have Down Syndrome?

Lube Boy
12-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I am so very grateful that everything with my child is alright.

I recently read an article in a magazine about Down syndrome, they say it easier to get a child with down syndrome after the age of 35, it is easier shown in the first 3 months of pregnancy, and that most people opt for abortion. Those that have kept the child, could not imagine a world without him or her.

A friend recently had a child, the "earth mother" who aided in giving birth, stated immediatly that the child had down syndrome. A month later after several tests, it turns out the child is 100% ok.
Unbelievable, imagine the mental turmoil.

In the article it stated the difference between a doctor saying straight after birth "your child is healthy but...."
and
" congratulations, you did great etc"

At 3 months my wife and I did an early checkup, the fear, paranoia and the angst with this premeditated examination to check if everything is ok is worse than having an aids test or something unimaginable.
I told myself if the little baby had down syndrome i would prefer to abort
but.....
if he actually did have it, i now don't know what i would do.

your call...

Lube Boy
12-30-2005, 09:30 PM
moderators could you please add,
yes
no
don't know
as poll options
thank you

maebach
12-30-2005, 11:37 PM
:lol: lots of people forget to add polls in their thread.

Busyman
12-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Would you abort if you knew your child would have Down Syndrome?
No, but I'd ask my woman to.

Any pro-lifer I'd hope would not or else they should STFU about being pro-life.

peat moss
12-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Yes if it was diagnosed in the first trimester but would still be a very hard decsion between my wife and I . They are like little children their whole life glad I did n't have to make that decsion .

Some people do it a for healthy fetus and thats anouther topic .

DanB
12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Why has this been moved to the non serious polls section? :unsure:

sArA
12-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Not non-serious....off topic.

This is not a filesharing poll......

DanB
12-31-2005, 12:33 AM
I voted don't know btw.

I'd like to think I wouldn't but you don't know until you are in that situation I think.

It depends on a lot of things, a person with Downs Syndrome is no less of a person than you and me even though we may laugh at them

thanks sArA I didn't know that was the criteria :blushing:

Virtualbody1234
12-31-2005, 12:58 AM
I don't know.

This is a very difficult situation involving more than just one person's choice.

I suspect that opinions would change if really faced with such a situation.

Busyman
12-31-2005, 01:35 AM
I wonder how many of the 'Don't Know(s)' are/will be under 30 in age.

Many "hard" decisions for others are pretty clear cut to me. I think that normally comes with age but I've been that way for as long as I can remember thinking about particular subjects.

maebach
12-31-2005, 05:43 AM
I said dont know

manker
12-31-2005, 02:30 PM

This is not a filesharing poll......Neither are 90% of the polls in the on topic poll section.

I think what you meant to say is that it doesn't pertain to any of the on topic sections of the board.

manker
12-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I would not seek for the mother of the child to abort a down syndrome baby.

These individuals get a lot of enjoyment out of their lives, however short, provided they get the same love and attention lavished upon them as a healthy baby receives. Sure, it's a lot more work for the parents of the child and you'd never going to see them play rugby for Wales but at the end of the day, I really think the child's needs should supercede any inconveniece he or she may cause the parents.

The down syndrome child's life is still just that, a life. It remains precious.

sArA
12-31-2005, 04:06 PM

This is not a filesharing poll......Neither are 90% of the polls in the on topic poll section.

I think what you meant to say is that it doesn't pertain to any of the on topic sections of the board.

Whatever...:dry:

manker
12-31-2005, 04:27 PM
No wonder you didn't get many votes in the moderator of the year competition :dabs:

desihotchick
12-31-2005, 05:17 PM
It's a real tough choice.No is my answer though.

Busyman
12-31-2005, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I had a "What Do Believe" topic get moved...but it didn't take long to realize why.

All the on-topic sections are related to filesharing....

Busyman
12-31-2005, 05:55 PM
I would not seek for the mother of the child to abort a down syndrome baby.

These individuals get a lot of enjoyment out of their lives, however short, provided they get the same love and attention lavished upon them as a healthy baby receives. Sure, it's a lot more work for the parents of the child and you'd never going to see them play rugby for Wales but at the end of the day, I really think the child's needs should supercede any inconveniece he or she may cause the parents.

The down syndrome child's life is still just that, a life. It remains precious.
Makes good sense.

I'm sure you feel the same way if your gf was raped or the baby had Palsy or many other diseases for that matter.

At least you are consistent....more consistent than many religious pro-lifers, in fact.

Mr JP Fugley
12-31-2005, 09:10 PM
No, I see no reason to even think I would.

I know people with Down's Syndrome, there is nothing to stop them having a full life.

Wolfmight
01-07-2006, 03:46 PM
It would be less painful to abort then have him/her live the rest of his life in pain. Social pain...
I believe people with down syndrome live very fulfilling lives, but they always have to put up with strange looks from people, laughs, etc. It would haunt me to have a kid that would have to go through that.
It's also extremely hard to raise such a child, because they require a lot more.

Now when it comes to meeting people with down syndrome, I have no problem with that.

I wish abortion took place earlier before the fetus even develops. It would be better to "wash your hands" rather than "cut a finger off"...if you know what I mean. A fetus is beyond money... Unfortunately, it might even be tragic both ways if the child dies soon after birth.