PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to go to the Theater?

mr. nails
01-02-2006, 04:57 AM
so, i went to the movies recently for the first time in forever. w0w, cost so much money to go! matinee cost $6.25 and evening shows are $8.50. lol, just to much money anymore to go. what's ur price? oh, and a medium drink was $4. that's just stupid.

SingaBoiy
01-02-2006, 09:06 AM
$9 for evening and somewhere around $6 for the early shows.

Gripper
01-02-2006, 09:09 AM
£5.90 here in England,don't know how much snacks are...I do know they are extortionate,take my own drinks and snacks,lots cheaper:w00t: :01:

Rip The Jacker
01-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Matinee shows = $8
Full price = $10.50
Price I pay = $0.00 :01:

Bottle of water (the ones you get get for under a dollar at the gas station) = $3.50 :pinch:

colt45joe
01-02-2006, 09:30 AM
free! :)

mr. nails
01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Matinee shows = $8
Full price = $10.50

Bottle of water (the ones you get get for under a dollar at the gas station) = $3.50 :pinch:
w0w, $10.50! retarded. gas is high, movies are high, and i bet rent is extreme! u can have cali!

Rip The Jacker
01-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Matinee shows = $8
Full price = $10.50

w0w, $10.50! retarded. gas is high, movies are high, and i bet rent is extreme! u can have cali!
:lol:

Yeah... life is expensive here... =/

GepperRankins
01-02-2006, 10:54 AM
£5.50 or something. off to see aeon flux on thursday. i'll tell you then. :01:

i remember there was this thing on TV about easy cinema. even though they would pay film companies the same price as other cinemas, they wouldn't let them show new films cause they wanted to sell tickets for £1. business people are just cunts :fist:

ps. i don't care what mulder says :snooty:

Chewie
01-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Took my youngest to see Goblet of Fire and although the ticket prices weren't too bad (considering it's £38 to see Stomp! at the Vaudeville Theatre in London) the price of 'concessions' is ridiculous.
I convinced my daughter we should watch the film then go to next door McDonalds and saved myself a fiver by buying two meals there instead of popcorn n a soft drink each in the Vue venue.

Mr. Mulder
01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
about £5.50/6.00, drinks and popcorn are stupid prices, but their popcorn just tastes so good :cry:

Cheese
01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
£5.00 with student discount. I take my own beer and pork scratchings in to save money.

cpt_azad
01-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't know if you guys have ever noticed this, but they put something in their fountain drinks. Not only is it diluted but they put something in it....dont' know what though. :ph34r: oh and here in vancouver tickets are about 10 bucks canadian, 4.50-5.00 for a medium drink :angry:

GepperRankins
01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't know if you guys have ever noticed this, but they put something in their fountain drinks. Not only is it diluted but they put something in it....dont' know what though. :ph34r: oh and here in vancouver tickets are about 10 bucks canadian, 4.50-5.00 for a medium drink :angry:
it's made up from a syrup. that's why it tastes different

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Orange wednesdays FTW!1!:01:

Busyman
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
This is what I do....

1. I go to www.movietickets.com or www.fandango.com and buy, if it's a R rated movie, 1 adult and the rest children's tickets. We then split the overall cost. If its G, PG, or PG-13, I buy all children's tickets.

If going to the box office to buy the tickets (which is rare), I buy 1 adult and the rest children's tickets always. They can see you aren't a kid when you buy.

2. Get a Movie Watcher card (http://www.moviewatcher.com/mw_info_card.html)for AMC Theaters (www.movietickets.com). When you order your tickets online, you don't get the $1 service fee per ticket and when they print out at the theater kiosk or box office you get coupons for free stuff like popcorn, candy, soda, etc.

3. Buy some of the refreshments beforehand. If you want Goobers, Kit Kats, or even a sandwich, bring it in with you in your pocket. It's not like they check for it and pat you down.:ermm: Now that I think of it, you could even bring can sodas although I've never done it.

4. Many theaters don't watch you leave at the end of the movie so movie hop if you have the time and the alertness to stay awake for another movie. Me and my gf saw Get Rich Or Die Tryin' (nice movie:D ) then Aeon Flux (piece o shit :angry: ) with ease recently. Just make sure the start/end times match up mostly. Movie hopping is super easy at the mega theaters with 20 or more screens which we have plenty of around here.

Funny thing is when I worked at the movie theater as a teenager, the free movie novelty wore off rather quickly. It was cool for the "bang a new chick after seeing a new movie" night but ultimately it felt like I was 'going to work' on my time off.

manker
01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Bus boy = Scottish.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Bus boy = Scottish.
Are you saying all Scots are liars and thieves.:angry:

manker
01-02-2006, 06:35 PM
:lol: Sorry.

Anyone going to that much trouble to save $2 (seven pence) must have Scottish descent.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 06:39 PM

Anyone going to that much trouble to save $2 (seven pence) must have Scottish descent.
Oh right, understood.

Indeed, do you think he ever works out that he has to factor his time into any "saving".

Busyman
01-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Oh I save much more than that.

How is it that much trouble to.....

1. Buy my tickets beforehand and pick the up at a kiosk vs. standing in line. Actually with fandango, I print my tickets at home.

2. Click 1 adult and 1 child vs 2 adults (or say it).

3. Get free popcorn, etc. vs. pulling out money to pay for it.

4. Buy extra refreshments while grocery shopping vs. standing in the concession line to pay more for it.

It's more trouble to NOT do that stuff.:ermm:

Are deer hunti...er fishing again?

JPaul
01-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Oh I save much more than that.

How is it that much trouble to.....

1. Buy my tickets beforehand and pick the up at a kiosk vs. standing in line. Actually with fandango, I print my tickets at home.

2. Click 1 adult and 1 child vs 2 adults (or say it).

3. Get free popcorn, etc. vs. pulling out money to pay for it.

4. Buy extra refreshments while grocery shopping vs. standing in the concession line to pay more for it.

It's more trouble to NOT do that stuff.:ermm:

Yes, but it's stealing.

manker
01-02-2006, 06:45 PM

Oh right, understood.

Indeed, do you think he ever works out that he has to factor his time into any "saving".
The qualitative factors also seem lost on the lad.

I think I'd be a tad humbled if upon hiding from the teenage usher in order to see a film for free with teh missus, we were discovered and asked, unceremoniuosly, to leave.

In fact, I don't think we'd get to that situation, I feel sure she'd say to me 'Look, if you really want to see this film, just pay, you fucking mentalist'.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh right, understood.

I think I'd be a tad humbled if upon hiding from the teenage usher in order to see a film for free with teh missus, we were discovered and asked, unceremoniuosly, to leave.

In fact, I don't think we'd get to that situation, I feel sure she'd say to me 'Look, if you really want to see this film, just pay, you fucking mentalist'.

If I even suggested such a procedure to Mrs JP she'd slap my lug and tell me to grow up.

Do you think Busgirl knows he does these things.

Busyman
01-02-2006, 06:52 PM

You see it's no trouble when they aren't looking for you. Good, good you did find something.

I've done it maybe...7 times in my life. Once since I was 30.

Oh one would have to be plainly stupid to not know that my gf knows we are movie hopping.

manker
01-02-2006, 06:54 PM

If I even suggested such a procedure to Mrs JP she'd slap my lug and tell me to grow up.

Do you think Busgirl knows he does these things.I sincerely hope not.

The whole scenario seems odd to me. A middle aged bloke sneaking his girlfriend into a cinema to see a film he, presumably, could easily afford to pay for.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing - so we shouldn't larf, hobbesy won't approve :smilie4:

JPaul
01-02-2006, 06:58 PM

You see it's no trouble when they aren't looking for you. Good, good you did find something.

I've done it maybe...7 times in my life. Once since I was 30.

Oh one would have to be plainly stupid to not know that my gf knows we are movie hopping.

Are you in your thirties.:O

What age if you don't mind me asking.

GepperRankins
01-02-2006, 06:58 PM
screen hopping was good when i was 12 *01

Busyman
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM

The whole scenario seems odd to me. A middle aged bloke sneaking his girlfriend into a cinema to see a film he, presumably, could easily afford to pay for.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing - so we shouldn't larf, hobbesy won't approve :smilie4:
Oh goodness, so now because one could easily pay for it, one shouldn't do it due to age. I'm loving the upstanding citizenry.

Keep goin.....

JPaul
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM

A middle aged, well paid bloke, with a big house and fancy dan car. I suppose if someone's a pikey then they are always one.

Oh if it's cultural it's OK, I just learned that recently.

manker
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
screen hopping was good when i was 12 *01When I was fifteen (and had to pay adult entrance to the cinema) I still used to try and get in for child's rates. Much like Bell Boy does now.

Fucked up when we went to see Basic Instict, tho' :dabs:

manker
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I sincerely hope not.

Oh goodness, so now because one could easily pay for it, one shouldn't do it due to age.No. The exact opposite :blink:

If you can easily afford to pay for a service that someone else is offering and you want/need it, pay for it instead of stealing it.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
This is the bit where he normally mentions filesharing. Saying that it's the same as him stealing goods and services so everyone should STFU.

GepperRankins
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
screen hopping was good when i was 12 *01When I was fifteen (and had to pay adult entrance to the cinema) I still used to try and get in for child's rates. Much like Bell Boy does now.

Fucked up when we went to see Basic Instict, tho' :dabs:
wait at the fire exit and get someone to open it, or get tickets for another movie

noob

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I stole a file once

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
needed it for me psychology coursework

Busyman
Oh goodness, so now because one could easily pay for it, one shouldn't do it due to age.No. The exact opposite :blink:

If you can easily afford to pay for a service that someone else is offering and you want/need it, pay for it instead of stealing it.
Wow, that confused over an obvious typo? :blink:

Also, I take it you'll stop downloading movies and pay for them then. Fan-tastic.

Proper Bo
I wrote me name on it n everything

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 07:20 PM
i got bored of it though, threw it away in the end:dabs:

JPaul
01-02-2006, 07:23 PM
No. The exact opposite :blink:

Also, I take it you'll stop downloading movies and pay for them then. Fan-tastic.
Feck I got the timing just right. Not to suggest he's predictable.

manker
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
No. The exact opposite :blink:

Also, I take it you'll stop downloading movies and pay for them then. Fan-tastic.I can only read what you type. How was that an obvious typo, you've posted some quite mental things in this thread so far, including smuggling your girlfriend into cinemas and posing as a child to save a dollar.

How am I meant to know that you weren't continuing the trend.

As for the filesharing comparison: :lol:

manker
01-02-2006, 07:25 PM

Feck I got the timing just right. Not to suggest he's predictable.Heaven forfend :schnauz:

suprafreak6
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
i pay 5.50 before 5:30 shows and around 9 for after 5:30 shows

JPaul
Feck I got the timing just right. Not to suggest he's predictable.Heaven forfend :schnauz:
Me :ftw::01:

Busyman

Also, I take it you'll stop downloading movies and pay for them then. Fan-tastic.I can only read what you type. How was that an obvious typo, you've posted some quite mental things in this thread so far, including smuggling your girlfriend into cinemas and posing as a child to save a dollar.

Ahh the difference between should and shouldn't. Gotcha.

As for the filesharing comparision: :lol: indeed.

Playing dumb on two fronts. Good, good.

I'm still loving this upstanding moral high ground you take.

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
In retrospect, I should have given it to someone else when I was finished with it.

manker
I can only read what you type. How was that an obvious typo, you've posted some quite mental things in this thread so far, including smuggling your girlfriend into cinemas and posing as a child to save a dollar.

I'm still loving this upstanding moral high ground you take.Yeah, how dumb am I - paying for my girlfriend to go to the cinema.

I feel so stupid.

Proper Bo
filesharing, you see.

manker
01-02-2006, 07:30 PM
filesharing, you see.
:lol: :pinch: :pinch:

I wondered what you were building up to.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM

I'm still loving this upstanding moral high ground you take.Yeah, how dumb am I - paying for my girlfriend to go to the cinema.

I feel so stupid.
It would be so much more respectful to her if you pretended she was a child to save a couple of bucks.

Feck two or three films worth and she could get a new bin.

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 07:32 PM
filesharing, you see. :lol: :pinch: :pinch:

I wondered what you were building up to.
me too:pinch:

Busyman
01-02-2006, 07:33 PM

I feel so stupid.
Yeah that's stupid. You also buying a DVD for her to watch or even paying for rental. I take it she listens to music too. WTF is up with you buying that lastest CD she wanted. I'm sure TechSmith appreciates you buying Snag-It.

Fucking thumbass.:lol: :lol:

manker
01-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, how dumb am I - paying for my girlfriend to go to the cinema.

I feel so stupid.
It would be so much more respectful to her if you pretended she was a child to save a couple of bucks.

Feck two or three films worth and she could get a new bin.:P

Maybe I could loft her upon my shoulders and drape a rather large overcoat over the pair of us thus concealing my presence, then she could get us both into the cinema and only pay for one person. Feck, that would save me five pounds. Well worth it.

What a genius scam. You think Bell boy and Bus Girl have tried this.

GepperRankins
01-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I can only read what you type. How was that an obvious typo, you've posted some quite mental things in this thread so far, including smuggling your girlfriend into cinemas and posing as a child to save a dollar.

I'm still loving this upstanding moral high ground you take.
to be fair. we're ripping off millionaires, not a cinema that pays kids minimum wage

JPaul
01-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Feck two or three films worth and she could get a new bin.:P

Maybe I could loft her upon my shoulders and drape a rather large overcoat over the pair of us thus concealing my presence, then she could get us both into the cinema and only pay for one person. Feck, that would save me five pounds. Well worth it.

You could pretend to be the World's tallest Doctor. You would probably get in free.

Busyman
01-02-2006, 07:38 PM
:P

Nah. Just walk in the next theater door. Oh if a friend works there and he'll get you in free, stop at the box-office 1st and pay. Ya can't go around NOT paying for shit.

You know that time I was dating a cop she got us in the movies free. I should have made a citizen's arrest.

manker
01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, how dumb am I - paying for my girlfriend to go to the cinema.

I feel so stupid.
Yeah that's stupid. You also buying a DVD for her to watch or even paying for rental. I take it she listens to music too. WTF is up with you buying that lastest CD she wanted. I'm sure TechSmith appreciates you buying Snag-It.

Fucking thumbass.:lol: :lol:In your world, I'm sure stealing a Microwave is exactly the same as downloading a movie.

However, in the real world, the place I live, the two practices are entirely different. For example, one is directly taking money out of someone's pockets and the other is nothing of the sort, it's watching a film or listening to a CD that otherwise, I'd never have bothered with.

See.

Busyman
01-02-2006, 07:44 PM

Fucking thumbass.:lol: :lol:In your world, I'm sure stealing a Microwave is exactly the same as downloading a movie.

However, in the real world, the place I live, the two practices are entirely different. For example, one is directly taking money out of someone's pockets and the other is nothing of the sort, it's watching a film or listening to a CD that otherwise, I'd never have bothered with.

See.
....and enabling everyone to do the same. Nice goin.

I'm still loving the way in which you justify your stealing. A fucking thiefocrite is what you are, fucking hypocrite.

I wouldn't have bothered with a second microwave until the thing scanned with my vaild receipt and the fella loaded it on. I wouldn't have bothered paying to see Aeon Flux either.

manker
01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
That's exactly what I said :blink:

In your world the two things are congruent. I'm sure you'll allow me to make the distinction between theft of property and downloading a film.

Cheers for that.

By the way, my main cause of mirth is not about the stealing thing, it's the lengths you go to in order to save a couple of quid. To me, I'd never even entertain the thought of sneaking my missus into a cinema or buying her a child's ticket.

It's pretty demeaning and very childish.

Mind, that's only in my world - I'm completely sure that it's fine in bizzaro Busboyland.

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 08:02 PM
I bet they just show babe all the time at your lurcal cinema manker, cause of teh hardcore sheepage:naughty:

JPaul
01-02-2006, 08:04 PM
I bet they just show babe all the time at your lurcal cinema manker, cause of teh hardcore seepage:naughty:
:sick:

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I bet he was really dissapointed when he went to see silence of the lambs
:dabs:

manker
01-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I bet they just show babe all the time at your lurcal cinema manker, cause of teh hardcore sheepage:naughty:Local cinema? Feck, we've only just got a Spar.

I gotta travel miles to a cinema that really isn't very local at all :dabs:

JPaul
01-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I bet they just show babe all the time at your lurcal cinema manker, cause of teh hardcore sheepage:naughty:Local cinema? Feck, we've only just got a Spar.

I gotta travel miles to a cinema that really isn't very local at all :dabs:
Do you dodge the bus fare, or just say your missus is under 14.

Busyman
01-02-2006, 08:12 PM

In your world the two things are congruent. I'm sure you'll allow me to make the distinction between theft of property and downloading a film.

Cheers for that.

By the way, my main cause of mirth is not about the stealing thing, it's the lengths you go to in order to save a couple of quid. To me, I'd never even entertain the thought of sneaking my missus into a cinema or buying her a child's ticket.

Mind, that's only in my world - I'm completely sure that it's fine in bizzaro Busboyland.
Well in my world I don't fanny about saying stealing isn't just to have a go at someone else. You take movies, music, and software without payment to the maker.

Then you say I go through lengths to save a couple quid when actually it's just the opposite.

1. Click 'child ticket'.

2. Walk in cinema.

Damn, I sure put myself out.:ermm:

I banged a chick in her stairwell once. Why'd I do that when I could've banged her in her bed?

Damn I remember some other shit...

I get $30 subway farecards for $15 in blocks of 25 from a friend of mine. Sometimes the subway kiosk guy lets me through free.

According to thumbass I should pay full fare and refuse the half-price or free ride.

This is great.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 08:15 PM

Cheers for that.

Well in my world I don't fanny about saying stealing isn't just to have a go at someone else. You take movies, music, and software without payment to the maker.

Then you say I go through lengths to save a couple quid when actually it's just the opposite.

1. Click 'child ticket'.

2. Walk in cinema.

I banged a chick in her stairwell once. Why'd I do that when I could've banged her in her bed?
Coz' your a class guy, who loves and respects women.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Is stairwell a euphemism btw.

Proper Bo
01-02-2006, 08:22 PM

:glag: good one bo:lol:

manker
01-02-2006, 08:44 PM

Cheers for that.

1. Click 'child ticket'.

2. Walk in cinema.

I get $30 subway farecards for $15 in blocks of 25 from a friend of mine. Sometimes the subway kiosk guy lets me through free.

According to thumbass I should pay full fare and refuse the half-price or free ride.

This is great.I'm trying to point out the difference with my world and your world.

In my world, had I stolen a microwave for my Mam, she would have dragged me back to the store by my ear, and made me return the 'gift'. In my world, if I suggest to my girlfriend that we sneak into a cinema without paying, she would not be impressed, would definitely ask if I'd gone mental and almost certainly offer to pay herself rather than have me demean her in that way.

In your world, these things are perfectly fine.

I have no problem with that. I'll do my thing, you can do yours. It's likely a cultural thing and as such outside of my judgmental jurisdiction.

manker
01-02-2006, 08:45 PM

:glag: good one bo:lol:

:dabs::dabs:

Busyman
01-02-2006, 09:10 PM

1. Click 'child ticket'.

2. Walk in cinema.

This is great.I'm trying to point out the difference with my world and your world.

In my world, had I stolen a microwave for my Mam, she would have dragged me back to the store by my ear, and made me return the 'gift'. In my world, if I suggest to my girlfriend that we sneak into a cinema without paying, she would not be impressed, would definitely ask if I'd gone mental and almost certainly offer to pay herself rather than have me demean her in that way.

In your world, these things are perfectly fine.

I have no problem with that. I'll do my thing, you can do yours. It's likely a cultural thing and as such outside of my judgmental jurisdiction.
Yeah my mom didn't make a stink 'cause of how I got it. If had told her that I ran out of the store after snatching from off the shelf she wouldn't have wanted it. Since I used a valid receipt scanned into their automated customer pick-up, there was no problem.

For instance, a fella I play basketball with told me he can get Xbox's. I said cool get me one.

When I go up to the store, while in my car, he walks up and says for me to go in and buy something small, and the cashier that he knows will put the Xbox in my bag, and I just walk out. I told him FUCK NO I ain't doin' that. He went and got it and I payed him for it another day.

Hook-ups and hot merchandise are a dime-a-dozen.

As far as movie hopping that's done as a goof and not with hiding. There are super theater that just don't check tickets after your in and they definitely don't check adult/child. You walk out to get popcorn and walk back in. You walk out one theater and can walk right in another.

I can't imagine that on a date with the cop female that I'd have said to her, "We need to pay for our tickets."

I also can't imagine refusing half-price farecards.

As far as pointing out some cultural difference, that's not what you were doing. It amounted to "your stealing is despicable and mine is ok" (although they are both stealing). "Let's fuck with him".

Everyone has their limit as to what deemed ok like I wouldn't take something off a store shelf but would buy hot merchandise.

It's still wrong though and I can't be a hypocrite and say it's quite alright and there is nothing wrong.

JPaul
01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Breach of copyright is not stealing here. Stealing is a criminal offence, breach of copyright is a civil matter.

Maybe our laws are just more civilized.

"When I go up to the store, while in my car, he walks up and says for me to go in and buy something small, and the cashier that he knows will put the Xbox in my bag, and I just walk out. I told him FUCK NO I ain't doin' that. He went and got it and I payed him for it another day."

Could anything be more ironic.

Barbarossa
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
If you are in London and you want to go to the cinema in Edinburgh, it will cost you £225.50.

This is only because they've put the train fares up like 9% or something.