PDA

View Full Version : should i have used azuerus instead of utorrent

captkickass
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
should i have used azuerus intsead of utorrent to download this file? i have an xp computer. cable modem. no firewall.
i have read some of the debates and was wondering some peoples opinon.
the file was 1.28gb. it took a day and 8 hours to download. i uploaded 1.57gb.
and i had a share ratio 1.225. it was the only download i had going.
im new to torrents. and it just seemed slow to me. i stopped using azuerus because it made other applications on my computer run slow. im using version 1.3.1 beta for utorrent.
hope this was enough info

{I}{K}{E}
01-09-2006, 06:25 PM
no.

azureus has the same options as utorrent but utorrent uses les memory ;)

limit your max upload. (if your upload is maxed you cannot download with full speed)

captkickass
01-09-2006, 08:31 PM
thanx for the tip

nat
01-10-2006, 08:02 AM
is it true that azuerus has that thing(can't remember the name) which makes sure all the pieces are 100% accurate? does utorrent have that too?

Tu quoque
01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Azureus runs checksums. You can see it happen if you restart a torrent or if you've had a crash, not sure if it works the same in utorrent

As for the speed of it, that's more to do with how many people seed and download, and what sort of connections they have, and what else they happen to be running.

Can't say "oh that was slow", or the opposite, without knowing more than the size of the file. Just try for a bit and then go with whatever client works best for you.

nat
01-10-2006, 10:38 PM
see i'd rather use azuerus if i know that their is pretty much zero chance of corrupt files, where as with utorrent...

Tu quoque
01-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I've had corrupted files slip through with azureus, but that involved a massive hardware failure while downloading.

Basically there's no corruption for me, as long as the original torrent isn't buggered from the get-go.

And the times there has been some file corruption I've only had to restart the torrent to the same location, watch azureus run a checksum, and then watch it repair/reload the corrupted pieces.

As long as the torrent is ok, azureus pretty much always does the job for me.
Haven't had any issues with surfing speed either, but it does use more memory than it ought to.

And due to some botched up reghacking on my part, I've had a few bluescreens when running a lot of torrents at once while running a lot of emule dl's at the same time.

But I'd recommend you try azureus if you haven't, for normal usage it's good, IMO.

nat
01-11-2006, 01:17 AM
yeah i used to use azureus, now i use utorrent. But i'm considering going back to azureus for downloading large files as its probably safer.

yajpride
01-11-2006, 09:45 PM
i personally prefere using Azureus over Utorrent. :\ though, sometime i do hate reinstalling java runtime eachtime i reformat my computer.

nat
01-11-2006, 10:14 PM
i don't mind as long as its safer

blackfog
01-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I am using utorrent 1.4 and AFAIR utorrent also has the file integrity checking option but it doesn't check the file , when the download is complete , as azureus does .. But you may do a manual check of the file in that case for utorrent .

I'd say utorrent is best for slow systems and azureus for high-end ones , if you want to see more details on your download and that "eye of torrent" thingy in the swarm .