PDA

View Full Version : When will video games look as good as real life?

Seedler
01-11-2006, 01:12 AM
I think we're making lots of progress over the years, 2 perfect examples would be The original Half-Life (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/terryjia/hl1.jpg) in 1998 and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/terryjia/hl2.jpg) of the year 2005.

But I think all the games are FAR from looking as real as real life.

How many years down the road will they come up with game engines and build PCs powerful enough that can simulate actual life graphics, physics, and details?

cpt_azad
01-11-2006, 02:10 AM
give it another 10, but imo i dont think u could make it "real" looking, it'll still have that cartoony style to it, imo, we will never get within the 85% range of full realism (graphics wise)

Wolfmight
01-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Computer Scientists guarantee that all of the computing power in the world combined this very day would still lack the speed to run 100% Complete Virtual Reality.

I agree with the "85% range limit", because reality will always have more quality than anything virtual.

With "Virtual Reality" that looks, feels, smells, and sounds the same as reality...people would get addicted...people would probably die of starvation...populations would drop, because everyone would be able to have virtual sex with anyone they want to (and it'd feel exactly the same). You could fly in the sky...the limits are turned off and you would hate reality. Everyone would start to hate the real world and it would become a devastating life to be in...people all around would be skin and bones, weak, pale as a dead body...
It's already a problem today with computers and all...a lot of people spend 80% of their days on a computer and that's extremely unhealthy. (Mostly the shy ones who'd rather interact with others behind a wall, so any complications cease to exist)

Basically, computers are equally "Bad" as they are "Good". Same goes for many things.

The TV caused a scare..Computers do now, ...what next?

I suppose someday videogames might look nearly as good as real life video, but they still won't have smell or feeling. (Maybe some ghetto half-ass versions of those sensations...but they'll probably be terrible...especially "smell". Why would anyone want smell anyways?
All we have today is vibration...and most guys put the controller in their lap to "enjoy the ride".

maebach
01-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Computer Scientists guarantee that all of the computing power in the world combined this very day would still lack the speed to run 100% Complete Virtual Reality.

I agree with the "85% range limit", because reality will always have more quality than anything virtual.

With "Virtual Reality" that looks, feels, smells, and sounds the same as reality...people would get addicted...people would probably die of starvation...populations would drop, because everyone would be able to have virtual sex with anyone they want to (and it'd feel exactly the same). You could fly in the sky...the limits are turned off and you would hate reality. Everyone would start to hate the real world and it would become a devastating life to be in...people all around would be skin and bones, weak, pale as a dead body...
It's already a problem today with computers and all...a lot of people spend 80% of their days on a computer and that's extremely unhealthy. (Mostly the shy ones who'd rather interact with others behind a wall, so any complications cease to exist)

Basically, computers are equally "Bad" as they are "Good". Same goes for many things.

The TV caused a scare..Computers do now, ...what next?

I suppose someday videogames might look nearly as good as real life video, but they still won't have smell or feeling. (Maybe some ghetto half-ass versions of those sensations...but they'll probably be terrible...especially "smell". Why would anyone want smell anyways?
All we have today is vibration...and most guys put the controller in their lap to "enjoy the ride".

perfect explanation (except teh lap part, thats just nasty).

abu_has_the_power
01-11-2006, 03:49 AM
lol

a few years ago (playstation/n64 age), the ultimate goal was to get games to look like toy story. to get games to look like today's in game cinematics. we've pretty much done that with next gen consoles.

i think there'll be other advancements before we reach 100% reality. like touch, smell, taste, etc. 100% reality is extremely difficult to achieve. for example, shadows in real life are much more complicated than even the most advanced in-game shadows today (doom 3, hl2, etc). we achieved dynamic lighting in many games today, a huge jump from a few years back. real life lighting is a hell of a lot more complicated. to achieve reality, light has to be broken down to it's basics. all that physics shit that i'm too lazy to explain, but the point is, it's extremely complicated. not to mention the detail we have to achieve with textures and models to create photo-realistic animation. :wacko:

Wolfmight
01-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Even Hollywood can't produce virtual reality without the "Oh it's just CG" look. That movie stealth bugged the hell outta me because all the jets were in CG...ouch.

Guyver
01-11-2006, 05:11 AM
Even Hollywood can't produce virtual reality without the "Oh it's just CG" look. That movie stealth bugged the hell outta me because all the jets were in CG...ouch.

thats why i didnt watch it lol

peat moss
01-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Oh its coming sooner than later . Hdtv's and gamers perfect mix .

Read this tonite :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/technology/09dvd.html

abigboy
01-11-2006, 01:29 PM
It's impossible. No matter how advanced all computer graphics are the work of artists and you can never convincingly draw the imperfections in a human face. Graphics will probably within the next five years start to look as good as the Final Fantasy movie, but beyond that the differences will be negligable.

Physics and AI are were all the big leaps are yet to be made and where the next gen consoles will really show what they can do.

abu_has_the_power
01-11-2006, 01:39 PM
we'll need robots that can take over the world to come up with something that realistic

silent h3ro
01-11-2006, 11:04 PM
All we have today is vibration...and most guys put the controller in their lap to "enjoy the ride".I hear that there's arleady a prototype thing where it puts out the basic scents and u can smell it but idk if it times it right when its happening on screen, ect.

GepperRankins
01-11-2006, 11:55 PM
85% wtf is that?

erRor67
01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Video games as good as real life? That would be interesting.. but i doubt it cause real life has true depth perception. And when u look far away, close things have to be out of focus (and vice versa). It would be tricky to do that with gaming. Also, gaming is on a 2D screen. If TVs become 3D, that would be teh c00l.

Cheese
01-12-2006, 12:31 AM
85% wtf is that?

There does seem to be a lot of percentages just being made up on the spot. I reckon this "85%" thing only has a 20% of actually happening.

I can't wait until I can play the Fifa games or NBA games and it feels just like I'm playing soccer or basketball, like total immersion so it seems like I'm outside playing with other people. Gosh, if only they had something like that now...

silent h3ro
01-12-2006, 12:35 AM
85% wtf is that?

There does seem to be a lot of percentages just being made up on the spot. I reckon this "85%" thing only has a 20% of actually happening.

I can't wait until I can play the Fifa games or NBA games and it feels just like I'm playing soccer or basketball, like total immersion so it seems like I'm outside playing with other people. Gosh, if only they had something like that now...Or u could just go outside and play the game... sports games suck and there's no point in them unless u are a fat lazy fuck and are too lazy to play the real game.

Cheese
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM

I can't wait until I can play the Fifa games or NBA games and it feels just like I'm playing soccer or basketball, like total immersion so it seems like I'm outside playing with other people. Gosh, if only they had something like that now...Or u could just go outside and play the game... sports games suck and there's no point in them unless u are a fat lazy fuck and are too lazy to play the real game.

Yeah, and war games are for people who are too scared to join the army.:rolleyes:

silent h3ro
01-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Or u could just go outside and play the game... sports games suck and there's no point in them unless u are a fat lazy fuck and are too lazy to play the real game.

Yeah, and war games are for people who are too scared to join the army.:rolleyes:Good one but I've still got 2 years till I can actually join the army which I was actually thinking about...

SingaBoiy
01-12-2006, 02:59 AM

I consider myself pretty athletic and still love to play sports games o.O

As for realism... anyone check out the Fight Night 3 demo... seams pretty real to be :P

EDIT: Gam3guy - get msn loser... my pc doesnt like aim for some reason.

silent h3ro
01-12-2006, 03:01 AM
Or u could just go outside and play the game... sports games suck and there's no point in them unless u are a fat lazy fuck and are too lazy to play the real game.
I consider myself pretty athletic and still love to play sports games o.O

As for realism... anyone check out the Fight Night 3 demo... seams pretty real to be :PI guess I was leaning more towards the virtual part where it would be very realistic but when it gets that realistic u may as well play the real game. See what I mean?:frusty:

colt45joe
01-13-2006, 01:38 AM
As for realism... anyone check out the Fight Night 3 demo... seams pretty real to be :P

yep.

from the latest EGM:

"We've played Round 3 and, yes, it actually looks like these screenshots."

http://x12.putfile.com/1/1119294452.jpg
http://x12.putfile.com/1/1119313594.jpg
http://x12.putfile.com/1/1119330031.jpg

maybe real life looking graphics in at least 50 years or less..????!

imasoldier
01-13-2006, 04:25 AM
I bet it would be almost perfection in less then 10 years. With that Hd DVD and blue ray disk. With all that room them two disks carry? I bet it would be possible to make the best detail. In 10 years less I predict atleast AMD Processors Going over 6Ghz Have way over 4G memory a few Terabytes of Space. And then lets see 7900 Nvidia coming out March and almost twice as fast then the 7800? Id say the card would go over 20000 Geforce by then and then the graphics will be intence! And then when the evoulution come out everyone is going to copy that motion technique and be implemented into every console. After that someone will invent LCD Glasses or what ever. So that you can get "IN" the game with those evolution sensors around you and possibly an invented treadmill that could go all ways and your all set!!! The cost would be only 10 grand! Games will cost 5 grand!

Antakar
01-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Video games as good as real life? That would be interesting.. but i doubt it cause real life has true depth perception. And when u look far away, close things have to be out of focus (and vice versa). It would be tricky to do that with gaming. Also, gaming is on a 2D screen. If TVs become 3D, that would be teh c00l.

There are now 3D lcd screens!
they have a lot of "bugs" , but still the visual sensation's are huge!!
ii'v had an occasion to see one , and game was some fps.
man!! gun was "outside" of the screen, bullets was really in the air!!

anyway, that kind of screens are only to 3d, and you cant run on it any 2d aplications (eg. word, photoshop or even desktop)

ill try to give you some real example, but i have to look for it...

Antakar
01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
here is the example.

some info:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-978499.html

this one have a switch 2d/3d.

interesting...

http://www.sharpsystems.com/products/lcd_monitors/15-17_inch/ll-151-3d/

and other one :

http://www.ampronix.com/content/web/seereal_index.asp

and here...you can buy even laptops with 3D screen!!

http://www.sharpsystems.com/products/3d/

vegeta_ssj12
01-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I think we're making lots of progress over the years, 2 perfect examples would be The original Half-Life (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/terryjia/hl1.jpg) in 1998 and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/terryjia/hl2.jpg) of the year 2005.

But I think all the games are FAR from looking as real as real life.

How many years down the road will they come up with game engines and build PCs powerful enough that can simulate actual life graphics, physics, and details?

never. I hope. closer then games like Call of duty 2(HD-TV) and the upcoming TESIV: Oblivion it will hopefully never get, well.... Maybe better details and a lot more possibilities, but not more realistic. Games are suppose to look like games and real life as real life, not the other way around.

Civilization IV is one of best new games ever, and it doesn't look like real life at all.

Seedler
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
I guess maybe video games aren't meant to be completely looking then, that cartoonish look is cool on most games.

Take unreal tournement 2004 for example, it has slightly better quake 3 graphics but is so fun that thousands of people still play it, including me.

Just imagine the grand theft auto games in complete virtually reality...that would be friggin awesome...man, so many hot cars and chicks...

Guyver
01-14-2006, 04:42 AM
I guess maybe video games aren't meant to be completely looking then, that cartoonish look is cool on most games.

Take unreal tournement 2004 for example, it has slightly better quake 3 graphics but is so fun that thousands of people still play it, including me.

Just imagine the grand theft auto games in complete virtually reality...that would be friggin awesome...man, so many hot cars and chicks...

I cant wait to play gta on the ps3 with updated gfx...gonna be sweet...