PDA

View Full Version : Gates: Halo 3 not countering PS3 launch

silent h3ro
01-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Microsoft chairman says "super great" shooter won't release until Bungie's say-so, Sony will have own supply woes for PS3 launch.

Each year, the Consumer Electronics Show is used as a forum for companies to show off the hottest products of tomorrow. One mainstay of the show that's always good for an industry-shaking announcement or two is software giant Microsoft. The company's chief, Bill Gates, always maintains a large presence at the show, and this year was no different.

In an interview with tech blog Engadget, Gates talked about the widespread shortages of available Xbox 360s in North America, echoing words spoken by Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Microsoft's entertainment division.

"The demand was phenomenal, and we did add Celestica as a third manufacturing partner," Gates said. "We think by the time we get to the 4.5 to 5.5 million unit level [in June] that the backlog won't be all that substantial. So obviously it's a good news situation, but we want to meet all the demand."

Despite what some would call a "shaky" launch, Gates remains chipper about the Xbox 360's first 50 days. "Well, you know, we're already successful. I mean, we're the hottest product there was at Christmas this year. I don't think there's any doubt we'll have a substantially higher share in this generation than we had last generation."

Obviously, the console's "substantially higher share" is largely dependent on its software library, and no other title will push more 360s out the door than Halo 3. At 2005's E3, Gates was quoted by Time magazine as saying that Halo 3 would be released at the same time as Sony's PlayStation 3, which is due later this year. Execs at Microsoft and developers at Bungie both scratched their heads at the statement, with Microsoft's president of the entertainment and devices division, Robbie Bach, bluntly saying, "Halo 3 is something that we'll ship when it's ready."

Gates admitted that his statement may have been premature. "It's up to the team [at Bungie] when they want to ship [Halo 3], and they're going to take their time to make that a super great product," Gates told Engadget. "So even we don't know when that will come out." Gates' comments already have industry pundits predicting that the game will likely now launch either in November, as have previous Halos, or around the premiere of the Halo movie in summer 2007.

With gaming consoles on the verge of transforming into "must-have" multimedia powerhouses, the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 have made it known that their aim is to appeal to a broader audience.

"This is a business we're committed to, so we're just going to keep doing our best. We actually think the size of the market will grow quite a bit because of the idea that we've got music and photo capability, we've got this Arcade thing to appeal to different age groups, and we're going to get a better breadth of games this time, so we think the overall total units between us and our competitor will actually be quite a bit bigger this time around than it was last time, and that's good for all of us," said Gates.

As for the PS3's launch, Gates sees Sony having similar issues that hung over the debut of the 360. "[Sony] will have a year where they're supply-constrained, most likely, unless the thing is a complete flop. I mean, every video game [system] that [sells] decently at all is supply-constrained for its first year," Gates told USA Today. "We'll actually have shipped over 5 million [Xbox 360s] before anyone else comes into the market."

:source: Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142127.html
Go figur e Bungie will probably need more time. Also I like how Gates uses the word "super great" a few times. Regaurdless, I hope the game is released at least before the end of 2006.

erRor67
01-12-2006, 05:37 AM
PS3 is going to own Xbox360's ass. Even with Halo3. :rolleyes:

cpt_azad
01-12-2006, 06:53 AM

and common sense has owned your ass....dumbfuck. dont judge a console that isnt even freakin out yet. imo, consoles are gay anyway, ps3 or 360.

Cheese
01-12-2006, 01:55 PM
and common sense has owned your ass....dumbfuck. dont judge a console that isnt even freakin out yet. imo, consoles are gay anyway, ps3 or 360.

Erm...don't judge the ps3 before it comes out. :dabs:

Guyver
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
We already know the ps3 is more powerful...

silent h3ro
01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Yes it will be more powerful, imo but its not the hardware that u should care as much about as the games.

cpt_azad
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes it will be more powerful, imo but its not the hardware that u should care as much about as the games.

thanks for pointing that out, a lot of ppl these days are too hardware savvy, they dont even care how games are (and most are damn repititive nowadays). so ya, its all about the games.

whocares1195
01-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Whether or not Halo comes out at the PS3 launch doesn't matter. What matters is that if it does come out, that Bungie has ironed out all the kinks, especially since this is new hardware.

GepperRankins
01-13-2006, 10:14 PM

Erm...don't judge the ps3 before it comes out. :dabs:
:reallol: with pfffrrrt sound and spit and everything

erRor67
01-13-2006, 11:47 PM

Lol.... that made me laugh. :dry:
THeres a lot of information already out on the web about PS3 and Xbox360. The only thing that really isnt totally sure is the pricing. But it should be around the same was the 360.

Delorean
01-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Lol.... that made me laugh. :dry:
THeres a lot of information already out on the web about PS3 and Xbox360. The only thing that really isnt totally sure is the pricing. But it should be around the same was the 360.

Certainly...

As for if ps3 will be more powerfull than 360 i belive that the difference will be negligible so the games will show the winner.. which i thing will be PS3..

silent h3ro
01-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Yea but keep in mind that Xbox will have a pretty big jump start like PS2 had over Xbox.

silent h3ro
01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Also, I found this pic of Halo 3 on Gamespot but doesn't look real:

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/7749/image0213kp.jpg

ApacNTS
01-15-2006, 02:14 AM
what is that? an ubber hunter?

silent h3ro
01-15-2006, 02:34 AM
Looks like a Hunter and Master Chief holding an SMG. The environment doesn't look futeristic like it should....

Delorean
01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
That pic doesn't look very nice.. Pretty hard to tell if the graphics are good or not..

And yes the XBOX 360 indeed has a head start against PS3. However Sony with the last Versions of PS has already has some games that a lot of people love to play Eg Final fantasy, Tekken, GTA* (i heard that the new one will be just for PS3 dunno if its true), Metal Gear Solid etc. Those games may give to sony an adventage with games! People already knows them and everybody will expect a new MGS or a new Tekken or FF to play on PS3.

So the head start that Microsoft has i think it will only be just enough to catch up with sony at gaming compedition.

ApacNTS
01-16-2006, 08:34 PM
if that pic is for real then i take we are fighting on earth some more, cause i dont think the covenant would use plain old bricks to make a structure. then again maybe this hits on a colonized space site from the books....either way that hunter is gonna get it!

abu_has_the_power
01-17-2006, 12:17 AM
all this hype bout consoles and games that aren't even out yet. pathetic

i'm picking up a nice ps2 when it drops in price, modding that bitch, and playing all the nice games that i missed out on (burnout, re4, god of war, etc)

cpt_azad
01-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Also, I found this pic of Halo 3 on Gamespot but doesn't look real:

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/7749/image0213kp.jpg

why can't people take proper pics :( i think its uber fake :( :( and if that is the gfx for 360, im totally dissapointed. those gfx are pretty much comparable to chaos theory...

ApacNTS
01-17-2006, 12:53 AM
also looking clooser, i see the sections on the hud where the grenades are displayed and that the shield meter is also the same and works with radar. but it looks like bungie may have trimmed the amount of hands/gun you see on screen which is a plus, cause in h2 it was half the bottom screen.

Formula1
01-17-2006, 03:07 AM

thanks for pointing that out, a lot of ppl these days are too hardware savvy, they dont even care how games are (and most are damn repititive nowadays). so ya, its all about the games.

Umm, weren't a majority of ps2 games better than xbox's ? xbox smells like men's ass (sic).... Let the Console wars begin. Ah, i remember back in the good ol' days when everyone flamed between xbox and ps2, around 2002.