PDA

View Full Version : Getting a PS2 soon. Need help

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 05:19 AM
I just helped buy my friend a PS2 for his birthday, and we played it at his place for 6 hours. i need to get one! now!!

I'm probably gonna get it from Best Buy. then get some wireless controllers and ddr pad online
here's my questions:

i'm not gonna buy games. so i have 2 options right? mod chip and burn dvd's or external hdd?

i really like the external hdd. do i still need a modchip for that? do i need to buy anything? i have a 250gb hdd and an enclosure with usb 2.0. does the slim ps2 have a usb port?? :blink:

is it true that not all games will play off a hdd? :O which games? i hear modchip is the most reliable method. hmmmm

help

what's the cheapest method for me, and still allow me to play everything

also, for the older games (ffx and x2, mgs, etc), i might not be able to find good torrents for them. i'm probably gonna rent or borrow them, and burn them or rip them to hdd. how do u do that?

i'm a noob :pinch:

also, modding ps2's doesn't screw with the online capabilities right? modding xbox kills xbox live unless u that other thingy that's really tricky. :wacko:

the slim ps2 is so sexy. oh god *drools

do u guys expect a serious price drop anytime soon? i'm afraid i might not be able to wait that long

S!X
01-21-2006, 08:34 AM
You can buy my ps2 cuz I dont use it ;)

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 01:37 PM
how much and what u got with it?

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 02:35 PM
anyone wanna tell me how to rip games to hdd and to dvdr?
for the older games i'll prob have to rent them from blockbuster or borrow from friends and copy them myself

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 04:21 PM
help?

orcutt989
01-21-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+rip+ps2+games&btnG=Google+Search

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 04:29 PM
did that
i meant help with my 1st post

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 04:39 PM
i just downloaded usbextreme. this is what i need to run games of external hdd right?

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 04:53 PM
ok, just checked this out:
http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_how-to-use.htm

seems like i got the right software (no, i didn't buy it). i hope i go the right one. it's USBextreme game installer... is that it?

should i get a modchip too??

also, does anyone know if running off hdd or modchip kills the ethernet and multiplayer?

abu_has_the_power
01-21-2006, 05:13 PM
just checked this site:
http://www.ps2nfo.com/pstwohdd.html

this is fucked up. all the good new games won't run off hdd.

guess i'll have to get a mod chip

despikable
01-21-2006, 05:20 PM
oh yea i suggest if you but the eally small ps2 that you get a professional to mod it as itll probably be easy to break or screw it up where as it is packed. If you are good with hardware and soldering you should have no problem.

S!X
01-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Abu, I was just kidding.... :P

Seedler
01-21-2006, 08:06 PM
What's wrong with your X850XT abu?

JordoR
01-21-2006, 09:54 PM
The following is what I did for my ps2 since im too cheap to buy games:

*Note* - In order to do this you need the big version of the ps2(not the slim model) with a network adapter)

I had an extra Western Digital 80 gb hd lying around so i hooked it up to my ps2. After that I tried to find a downloadable version of either HDLoader, or HDAdvance online but I was unsuccessful. So I broke down an ordered the newest version of HDLoader just to save myself some time and annoyance. http://www.hdloader.net. After it finally came in the mail, I was set. I started renting games just for one day and just ripping them to my internal hd connected to my ps2 with the hdloader disc.

For the price of just a regular computer hd and a 30 dollar fee for hdloader (or hdavance, essentially the same program) you can have ps2 games forever for just the cost of renting them or borrowing them from a friend.

The only reason I used only an 80gb hd was because I already had it lying around and didnt have to buy anything.

What I would recommened to you is to purchase a maxtor 120gb internal hd. The reason being maxtor, is because with western digital hds you have to make a slight modification which means opening up ur network adapter. The maximum size allowed by either hdloader or hdavance is 137 gb so to get your moneys worth for all the hd space, a 120 gb hd is the most cost effective.

Formula1
01-22-2006, 01:33 AM
http://ps2-scene.org/forums/index.php

That's a forum dedicated to modding ps2's.

colt45joe
01-22-2006, 01:44 AM
usb extreme sucks. dont use external harddrives. load times are slower, and most games dont work. just isnt worth it.

abu_has_the_power
01-22-2006, 05:33 AM
damn u linkinpark

just got my ps2 today. bought a few games from gamestop.

i'm following the step by step here:
http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_how-to-use.htm

and i'm loading god of war pal converted to ntsc using ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix onto my 250gb hdd.

is there a place to download usbextreme free?

abu_has_the_power
01-22-2006, 10:13 PM
ok, i'm completely ditching the usb hdd thing. it's stupid and runs game really slow and doesn't even work on all games

i'm sending my ps2 to teammodders.com (they got good rep from forums.afterdawn.com) and have them put in a crystal chip

The_Fat
01-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Don't get an external hd, get a normal evryday hd 4 computer, about 120gig at least i recomend, and install it (u need an original fat ps2 and network adapter to do this) also purchase hdadvance or hdloader and ur set. it's simple as hell, bu if u get a slimline, u wanna pay a lot of money on modchips coz they fail usually after half a year

abu_has_the_power
01-23-2006, 12:39 AM
mod chips fail after half a year???

that can't be right

and i got a slim ps2. v14. so hdadvance won't be able to do shit

Wolfmight
01-23-2006, 03:38 AM
ps3 is coming out soon... I'd suggest you wait for one of those.

abu_has_the_power
01-23-2006, 03:41 AM
hell no
i ain't blowing $400 on a game system

that's the reason why i'm getting a ps2. to wait for the price to drop. but i just decided oh wtf. so i got it now

Formula1
01-23-2006, 07:47 PM
mod chips fail after half a year???

that can't be right

and i got a slim ps2. v14. so hdadvance won't be able to do shit

PS2 lasers dont last long. When you play burned dvdr's on them, they wear out faster and then you have to replace them. modchips can last for a long time as far as i know. Slim ps2 sucks BTW compared to fat ps2, for modding.

ps3 is coming out soon... I'd suggest you wait for one of those.

I agree.

abu_has_the_power
01-23-2006, 09:01 PM
the ps2 laser in v1-12 have this laser problem. sony fixed it after v12

silent h3ro
01-23-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't know if u bought the PS2 yet but I think u would want the slimmer PS2 but not the slim one just because it sucks for modding. I'm not sure which version I have but it is a slimmer version.

abu_has_the_power
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
i'm sending my slim ps2 to teammodders.com. they're highly respected in the modding community

and i got a v14 slim ps2

colt45joe
01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
u wanna pay a lot of money on modchips coz they fail usually after half a year

um...no.

abu, just make sure you use high quality disks, like
Verbatim, and Ritek.

abu_has_the_power
01-24-2006, 12:02 AM
yea, that's one problem i ran into. i have those "free after rebate" dvdr's i got on black friday.

do poor to average quality disks not run?

colt45joe
01-24-2006, 12:13 AM
yea, that's one problem i ran into. i have those "free after rebate" dvdr's i got on black friday.

do poor to average quality disks not run?

poor/average quality disks do run, but the ps2 just has a harder time reading them..at least, the chubby PS2s do. not sure about slim ones. Cause on fat ps2 (mine), with poor quality disk you can hear the ps2 making all sorts of clicky noises and spinning the disk really fast so it kinda starts to vibrate.

but with high quality its just as if i put in normal disk w/ no problems.

abu_has_the_power
01-24-2006, 12:26 AM
what exactly causes this problem? like are high quality disks manufactured differently??

they emphasize this @ forums.afterdawn.com too.
i burned a dvd movie onto a Dynex dvdr (not really high quality), and i just watched it on my ps2. works fine

solidius26
01-24-2006, 05:03 AM
mod chips wear out your laser but if u wanna play games that what ya gotta get

abu_has_the_power
01-24-2006, 05:10 AM
wtf? how the hell does a mod chip wear out your laser? it has nothing to do with your laser. it doesn't even come in contact with you laser

i just did some research on forums.afterdawn.com

burned games wear out your laser, but only if you use cheap media. i'm buying premium dvdr's. Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. i might get verbatim with advanced azo from best buy just because i have a $25 gift card from there and i have to do something with it