PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Handheld?

Busyman
01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
In an effort to loosen Apple's stranglehold on the portable media device market, Microsoft may be contemplating throwing a new device into the fray; one that would most likely include gaming.

Xbox chief Peter Moore told Business Week that a new Microsoft device would most likely incorporate music, video and gaming, the latter of which the iPod doesn't support. The device, then, would also butt heads with Sony's Playstation Portable and fall into a category all its own.

"It can't just be our version of the iPod," Moore said in the interview.

The fact that Moore commented at all could indicate that the Xbox brand would be used to market the device. Back in 2004, it was rumored that Microsoft was developing a handheld called the "Xboy."

"I think the brand is an opportunity," Moore told Business Week.

Microsoft would not comment on the device and even if one is in development, but a representative did say, "Microsoft is committed to innovation." The software giant has shifted focus to increase its presence in entertainment fields, and an iPod/PSP competitor would fall in line with that shift.

Obviously a Microsoft handheld raises a lot of interesting questions. Will it be compatible with the Xbox 360 or even the Xbox? HD? Online? Again, aside from Moore's comments, Microsoft is keeping silent.

Ipod + PSP = Xboy?

Death_Falcon
01-30-2006, 01:52 PM
sweet were u get the info from?

Cheese
01-30-2006, 05:25 PM
sweet were u get the info from?

Google, knowing Busyman.

GepperRankins
01-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Xboy? smells like bulshit

Cheese
01-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, and they'd probably make it too big for the Japanese folk's midget hands (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1249091&postcount=26).:blink:

GepperRankins
01-30-2006, 05:51 PM
wouldn't like be breaching copyright and shit?

maebach
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
it sounds ok I guess. their xbox's did well.

Skillian
01-31-2006, 09:09 PM
I heard about this, sounds like a decent idea (as long as its not restricted to wma/wmv).

I highly doubt it'll end up being called the Xboy though.

suprafreak6
02-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Yeah, and they'd probably make it too big for the Japanese folk's midget hands (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1249091&postcount=26).:blink:

yeah sounds like bullshit

SingaBoiy
02-02-2006, 01:30 AM
wouldn't like be breaching copyright and shit?
Making a handheld that plays movies, games and audio = breaching copyright laws? :blink:

Cheese
02-02-2006, 03:13 AM
wouldn't like be breaching copyright and shit? Making a handheld that plays movies, games and audio = breaching copyright laws? :blink:

Calling it an XBoy probably would, or at least be cause for legal trouble. Same thing if they released an XPod.

Busyman
02-02-2006, 03:57 AM
Making a handheld that plays movies, games and audio = breaching copyright laws? :blink:

Calling it an XBoy probably would, or at least be cause for legal trouble. Same thing if they released an XPod.
I hate that about copyright names. If the name is different it's different.

They should call it the PodBoy just to fuck around.:lookaroun

I wonder would they get in trouble for calling it the XPortable (XP) 'cause of the Playstation Portable?