PDA

View Full Version : What If... The PS3 cost $1000?

Guyver
01-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Start scrounging for change, the next-gen might come with a hefty price tag.
By IGN Staff

January 27, 2006 - Those lucky enough to have gotten their hands on a 360 will tell you that after the hardware, games, and other miscellaneous peripherals, controllers, etc., buying a next-gen system 'aint cheap. But as much as a 360 may have hurt your pockets, it's looking like a PS3 will even more so. In fact, it's fairly feasible to assume that the PlayStation 3 could retail at anywhere between $300-$800 at launch.

im still buying it lol....hope its not that much though...yikes..

Adster
01-28-2006, 07:19 AM
the PS2 was $900 when it first came out in Aust and I bought it so yep I'm paying that much the new 360 finally comes out here in march very soon but I'm giving that a pass

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:37 AM
I'd only consider the PS3 at $900 IF it records onto Blu-Ray and I'm stretching by saying I'd consider it.

Otherwise....

FUCK NO!!!

1. I'm not kidding when I tell you that I have tons of unopened games on Xbox, PS2, and GC. My Xbox is modded and has 90+ games in it. Why should I jump when Sony says jump? I don't play what I have.

2. I have a mortgage, wifey, and a kid, and a game system that expensive is out of the question...now if it did the recording thing I might be able to eliminate my TIVO. That's the only thing I have now that records in HD.

3. The PS3's games don't look THAT good enough to justify a console triple the cost of a PS2.:ermm:

edit: but again...I would get one hot and I guarantee there'll be hot PS3s probably on a second or third shipment. First shipments are usually accounted for very well.

3RA1N1AC
01-28-2006, 07:50 AM
I'll would get one hot
man. you said something like "buy one hot" before and i was like "uh WTF IS DUDE TALKING ABT. and where the fuck is he finding these insane deals like PSP for $100??" then it just bopped me over the head. OH. HOT. as in, yer walkin' down the street and a dude standing in an alleyway goes "psst! you wanna buy some hot electronics out the trunk of my car?" HOT.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:55 AM
I'll would get one hot
man. you said something like "buy one hot" before and i was like "uh WTF IS DUDE TALKING ABT. and where the fuck is he finding these insane deals like PSP for $100??" then it just bopped me over the head. OH. HOT. as in, yer walkin' down the street and a dude standing in an alleyway goes "psst! you wanna buy some hot electronics out the trunk of my car?" HOT.
;)
Pretty common here.

Wish I could catch up with someone for another PSP for those subway rides.

I have been content though with my Treo.

Formula1
01-28-2006, 06:52 PM
i'd rather spend 1000 USDs on a computer upgrade...

Busyman
01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
nvm

suprafreak6
01-28-2006, 07:30 PM
forget ps3 then, it will have record sales of like 5 sold

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
forget ps3 then, it will have record sales of like 5 sold
Of course not.

You can always count on sheep to buy. Plus there are sheep with boatloads of money.

If I was rich, I'd buy it. I'd be a sheep with money.

maebach
01-28-2006, 10:33 PM
IF I could get $1000 by then, I'd still say no.

Guyver
01-28-2006, 11:28 PM
IF I could get $1000 by then, I'd still say no.

idc, im prolly buying one lol, i gatta play MGS4!

Adster
01-28-2006, 11:35 PM
having said that yes Id probably buy use the $1000 for a PC upgrade by then when it comes out next year sometimes

is there a release date for US yet?? I could order form the net seeing its going to be region NTSC PAL free so I don't have to wait 6 months more problay cost more though US dollars

the PS3 will outsell the XBOX 360 it will have record sales no matter what the price is

abu_has_the_power
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
it'll still be cheaper than a pc. a pc that can play UT2k7 will cost u at least $1000. if you're spending over $1000 just to play games, might as well get a console.

this is mainly y i got a ps2 recently. i'm not gonna buy a nextgen console for at least a few more years. and i'm going to spend $1500 at least on pimped up pc. so $150 + mod chip for a decent console is perfect for me

Busyman
01-28-2006, 11:55 PM
it'll still be cheaper than a pc. a pc that can play UT2k7 will cost u at least $1000. if you're spending over $1000 just to play games, might as well get a console.

this is mainly y i got a ps2 recently. i'm not gonna buy a nextgen console for at least a few more years. and i'm going to spend $1500 at least on pimped up pc. so $150 + mod chip for a decent console is perfect for me
Good man

Cheese
01-29-2006, 12:03 AM

Me too, though my last computer upgrade cost me nearer to $1500. :pinch:

Adster
01-29-2006, 12:03 AM
i haven't played my PS2 in months I just use my PC for games now these days PS2 has outdated me I think its time for a new console ill wait for PS3

Peerzy
01-29-2006, 12:49 AM
The quote says $300 - $800. Where did the extra $200 come from to make it $1000?

maebach
01-29-2006, 05:06 AM
The quote says $300 - $800. Where did the extra $200 come from to make it $1000?

alot of tax :unsure:

Guyver
01-29-2006, 06:32 AM

alot of tax :unsure:

200 DOLLAR CONTROLLER

suprafreak6
01-29-2006, 07:21 AM
lol
how about 200$ for the av cord and ac cord...

Rip The Jacker
01-29-2006, 09:49 AM
:lol: :lol:

Damn $800 is just too damn much for a console man...

Snee
01-30-2006, 12:27 AM
The way I heard it last, sony were planning to sell the first shipment at a loss, to try and get as many as possible out there, quickly. So I really do wonder about it being that expensive.

Also, the xbox 360 isn't selling well at all in japan :happy: I reckon the ps3 will catch up to the 360 easily enough over there, and once the ball gets rolling prices will drop after a bit.

And anyway, the game sites I've looked at now put it at ~$400 at most, last year.

Formula1
01-30-2006, 02:08 AM

directx 10 compatible video cards will come out by october... u just blew 550$ on a card :x :P

Cheese
01-30-2006, 02:30 AM

directx 10 compatible video cards will come out by october... u just blew 550$ on a card :x :P

Yes, but if I didn't upgrade because of the risk of my components being outdated in 9 months time then I'd never upgrade...besides October is my birthday. :shifty:

Formula1
01-30-2006, 02:39 AM
lucky you :P

Adster
01-30-2006, 03:04 AM
The way I heard it last, sony were planning to sell the first shipment at a loss, to try and get as many as possible out there, quickly. So I really do wonder about it being that expensive.

Also, the xbox 360 isn't selling well at all in japan :happy: I reckon the ps3 will catch up to the 360 easily enough over there, and once the ball gets rolling prices will drop after a bit.

And anyway, the game sites I've looked at now put it at ~$400 at most, last year.

doesnt sell in Japon because the xbox controller are too big for their hands

despikable
01-30-2006, 03:09 AM
lol if it were a 1000 buks id play it at the store lol. atleast until it comes down.

abu_has_the_power
01-30-2006, 04:02 AM

doesnt sell in Japon because the xbox controller are too big for their hands

japanese people have small hands? :blink:

as long as it's under $1000, it's still worth it. if you already have a nice pc, then it's not worth it. but if u have a average pc, and need something for games, it's not that bad. it'll turn down a lot of consumers, especially teenagers. which is why there is no way the price can get higher than $400-600. if games cost $50 each, a system with a few accessories and some games could cost a 15 year old his life savings, and he might have to sell his clothes to afford it. so it probably won't happen

Dark Steno
01-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Not only Japanese, almost for all Asians. I'd say, the Xbox controller is very big.

Busyman
01-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Not only Japanese, almost for all Asians. I'd say, the Xbox controller is very big.
Yao Ming is an anomaly.
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/k/2006-01-28/U366P6T12D2018756F44DT20060128090708.jpg

3RA1N1AC
01-30-2006, 08:38 AM
the idea that the controller is the reason why xbox sells poorly in japan... is fucken ludicrous.

the original xbox controller (with a huge circle in the middle) was approximately the same size as the dreamcast controller and was never even sold in japan. they got the smaller "S Type" controller from the very start, which is not much bigger than the playstation & gamecube controllers.

original xbox controller (USA) compared to dreamcast & ps2:
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/4914/xboxsize45nr.jpg

"S Type" (japan) compared to original (USA):
http://www.sgn.cc/hardware/xbox_s/4.jpg

Death_Falcon
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
then why did the dreamcast do well in Japan if the controller was so big?

Snee
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I've never seen anyone blame the controller before.

What I have seen, tho', is ms claiming that the 360 doesn't sell well in japan, 'cos japanese people don't understand how hd-tv works or something.

IMO, they don't buy 'cos it's not that impressive, yet it is expensive.

abu_has_the_power
01-30-2006, 10:14 PM
wat's with this racial bullshit? asians don't have small hands. how do u think asians are so good with piano? u can't play piano with tiny hands. :rolleyes:

the controller has nothing to do with it. japanese people don't buy the xbox because it's made be a rich white guy. just like a white company would never hire an asian guy if there's a white guy with the same credentials.

Snee
01-30-2006, 10:20 PM
wat's with this racial bullshit? asians don't have small hands. how do u think asians are so good with piano? u can't play piano with tiny hands. :rolleyes:

the controller has nothing to do with it. japanese people don't buy the xbox because it's made be a rich white guy. just like a white company would never hire an asian guy if there's a white guy with the same credentials.
Oh, so you are saying the japanese don't buy it 'cos they are racists then? :blink:

Finally something that makes sense.

3RA1N1AC
01-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Oh, so you are saying the japanese don't buy it 'cos they are racists then? :blink:
japan doesn't buy american cars and it doesn't buy american electronics. it just doesn't. regardless of any racial issue. there's plenty of american stuff they do like, but not american cars or electronics. xbox sells poorly over there because it's not a japanese product, it's not a playstation, it doesn't have a ton of easy RPGs packed with hours & hours of FMV cut-scenes, and japan's favorite game types are not FPS and basketball.

Aaron_T
01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I'll be getting one of these as soon as the price drops, as people have already said i might aswell use my money to do up my PC for the moment, coz its shit :unsure:

Formula1
01-30-2006, 10:44 PM
japan doesn't buy american cars and it doesn't buy american electronics. it just doesn't. regardless of any racial issue. there's plenty of american stuff they do like, but not american cars or electronics. xbox sells poorly over there because it's not a japanese product, it's not a playstation, it doesn't have a ton of easy RPGs packed with hours & hours of FMV cut-scenes, and japan's favorite game types are not FPS and basketball.

Great point there. Games like Grand theft auto 3, and metal gear solid 2 (i know its japanese), aren't popular in japan, compared to rpg games that sell well over there, like ico for example.

BTW, most American cars suck anyway...

And btw Abu, no , it isnt racist to say alot (not all) of asians have small hands compared to other races. I once read an article a few years ago in a news magazine, stating that the Xbox controller was too big for the hands of japanese people, which is one of the main reasons for lack of sales there.

then why did the dreamcast do well in Japan if the controller was so big?

If you had common sense, you'd realize that the joy stick is closer to the perimeter of the controller. same with the colored buttons.

Snee
01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I know there are cultural differences and that tastes vary, and there's nothing wrong with that, tho' someone at ms is prolly having a hissy fit about it.

The thing is tho', that abu said it was because the game was made by a rich white guy, which is something entirely different. And that's ultimately what I reacted to.

I don't think it has to do with where it comes from, but rather how it's marketed, and what it is. It really isn't that impressive, yet it is made out to be a revolution. The leap from snes to psx, was revolutionary, this isn't.

Yet it costs a lot of money. Others have said that only sheep with money (or whatever) would buy a playstation 3 at the suggested price. I reckon that's equally, or perhaps more so true about people who buy the xbox 360.

In fact, I don't particularily like recent american cars either, much like the japanese don't. Not because of where they were made, but because of how they were made, dodgy plastic in the interior and odd stuff like it. Not to mention those huge SUVs not many people living in a civilised area actually need.

It's a difference in marketing and gaming philosophies, and nothing racial at all, IMO.

Adster
01-31-2006, 01:37 PM
the idea that the controller is the reason why xbox sells poorly in japan... is fucken ludicrous.

the original xbox controller (with a huge circle in the middle) was approximately the same size as the dreamcast controller and was never even sold in japan. they got the smaller "S Type" controller from the very start, which is not much bigger than the playstation & gamecube controllers.

http://linkstew.org/pictures/xbox-comp/xboxsize4.jpg

You do know I was only joking

but apperently its half true the other reason is SONY are asian micro$oft are american and ym theory is who would want to buy anything Micro$oft?

Peerzy
01-31-2006, 05:23 PM

http://linkstew.org/pictures/xbox-comp/xboxsize4.jpg

You do know I was only joking

but apperently its half true the other reason is SONY are asian micro$oft are american and ym theory is who would want to buy anything Micro$oft?

Maybe, non-americans. I've heard they exist but am still unsure myself.

Gre1
01-31-2006, 05:29 PM
all i say is u stupid if u did bad ass investment and i doubt they would sell to many unless they were just that dumb or people who helped make the system lol

the-matthewmcg
10-27-2006, 05:22 PM
ok the ps3 with 60gb hdd, no games,no controllers, console only costs 425 quid @ retail. im guessing thats like 850 dollars so expect the actual retail package they sell you featuring the usual useless crap will be approx 900 dollars or 475 quid. also id like to add that blu ray discs are very very expensive im talking 25 quid for one disc and the drives are like 600 quid so expect the ps3s games to cost 80 quid each. if blu ray discs become as popular as dvds are now the price of the *games* will dramitically drop. *woops typed console geeh whizz i should sleep more*

lightshow
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
if blu ray discs become as popular as dvds are now the price of the console will dramitically drop.

That's not how things work. The price of the console drops after the mid-line mass production has already began. Only then will they have made returns on their sunk costs and begin to effictively predict future sales and be able to decide what kind of price fluctuation they will allow based on those predicted future sales

gamer4eva
10-27-2006, 10:59 PM
If the ps3 costs $1000 then the sony company can SHOVE A BULL UP THEIR ASSES!!!!!

the-matthewmcg
10-28-2006, 12:11 AM
for the above when you disassemble the dreamcast controller you find it really shouldnt be that size you could easily put it in a ps2 controller sized frame. i mean i own a madcadz dreamcast controller thats tiny its smaller than the gamecubes and weighs less too

mikeco
10-28-2006, 01:12 AM
if blu ray discs become as popular as dvds are now the price of the console will dramitically drop.

That's not how things work. The price of the console drops after the mid-line mass production has already began. Only then will they have made returns on their sunk costs and begin to effictively predict future sales and be able to decide what kind of price fluctuation they will allow based on those predicted future sales

isnt there going to be a HD DVD version of the ps3 along with the Blu-ray version?

so people can pick which they want :P

eather way a load of shit tbh.

delimare
10-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I'll sell my soul if need be. It will be mine.

Tmaster
10-28-2006, 06:30 PM
this price is enough to fully upgrade my PC

dandanoorosan
10-28-2006, 07:14 PM
BEcause of so many games beeing made for console and because ps3 will be the best we'll have to buy it

vernicex
10-28-2006, 07:33 PM
buy a PS3 and you'll never have to worry about upgrading your damn pc