PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 PC: Vista only

Skillian
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4698072.stm

I wouldn't normally link a gaming news story to the BBC, but I can't find it anywhere else.

I can see why MS might want to do this to encourage people to "upgrade" to Vista, but do any PC gamers really care about Halo 2 that much?

All it means for me is that while I might once have tried the game out, now I won't get the chance. Oh well. :shrug:

GepperRankins
02-09-2006, 06:44 PM
well i won't be paying anyway :smilie4:

Busyman
02-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Smart move by M$ but it also stinks.

Since I can see no reason why Halo 2 has to run on Vista I hope Halo 2 sells shit from the principle of it.

One, however, can't underestimate how presses video game players are. These are the same folks that pay $300+ for a video card.

If M$ was smart, they'd make Vista like Turbotax where if you don't activate it online, it won't work. To be fair, they should do a 2 or 3 machine license.

twisterX
02-10-2006, 02:56 AM
they would crack halo 2 and vista anyways.

Guyver
02-10-2006, 02:57 AM
ghey! :/

3RA1N1AC
02-10-2006, 02:59 AM
i want 2 get Vista bcuz it will b pretty. omg Aero Glass GUI!1!!one rquires AGP 8X or PCI Express time 2 upgrade my muthabord i only hav AGP 4X ghey

mr. nails
02-10-2006, 05:43 AM
exactly. i'll just dl it and play it on my winxp... u'll see.

Busyman
02-10-2006, 05:57 AM
i want 2 get Vista bcuz it will b pretty. omg Aero Glass GUI!1!!one rquires AGP 8X or PCI Express time 2 upgrade my muthabord i only hav AGP 4X ghey
I wonder would be people be oblivious to a less graphics intensive GUI that doesn't use SO MANY FUCKING RESOURCES!!

I love how M$ is clearly in cahoots with PC makers.

At least it helps my stocks.

Sucks on principle.

3RA1N1AC
02-10-2006, 06:22 AM
if you need better accessories in order to see it, it must be worth seeing.

SORRY SIR ONLY PEOPLE WITH MASSIVE BLING ARE ALLOWED IN THIS CLUB. BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU IF YOU WERE TO GAIN ADMISSION TO THIS CLUB IT IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE CLUB NEXT DOOR THAT ANY TOM DICK & GROUCHO CAN GET INTO.

Cheese
02-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I could care less about an old X-Box game but it will be interesting to see what other games are going to become Vista-only. I seriously doubt Halo 2 will be the only carrot that M$ will be dangling to get people to use their DRM-ridden piece of shit.

ahctlucabbuS
02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Are the system reqs for vista out?

I hear they're supposedly pretty steep, in which case I won't gimp my system... I agree, the future of games on the XP is what's interesting.

Formula1
02-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I think this is because of 64bit processing. If halo2 port is a as bad as halo1 to the pc, then forget. halo1 lagged like hell, and you really needed a system way beyond the system requirements to run it smoothly. If halo2 on the pc has vamped up graphics (better than xbox's) then i think it may do well. otherwise M$ has their heads way up their asses too far..

abu_has_the_power
02-11-2006, 12:03 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6143976.html

here too

microsoft u bastards, trying to promote windows vista

there will definitely be a patch or something to fool halo 2 and make it think you're running vista

i ain't touching vista till they released a bunch of fixes for all the bugs it'll ship with

NeoTheOne
02-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I know , the first month will have Vista Plauged With Problems and Exploits. But hey its not liek hardware where it wont work and youll have to get a new one , ill buy vista when it comes out and upgrade my pc fully , and see what happens , but im defintly not buying halo 2 , waste of money

despikable
02-11-2006, 02:17 AM
yes i dont really care because ive played it enough on xbox.

Snee
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
^This is a very, very good post.

And for the record, I'm feeling less and less inclined to get vista with every announcement made about it.

3RA1N1AC
02-12-2006, 12:49 AM
well. if getting Vista to work (or work well) does require all of these hardware upgrades that i'm in no hurry to make, i reckon that i will continue to use XP for some time. and as mentioned, there will prolly be a few serious problems early on, so i don't mind standing back & letting others take the brunt of it first.

i'm sure Vista will have some better things than XP has. it will be more visually appealing, and most likely will have improvements to the default methods of accessing & sorting the user's files and preferences and such. with the odd exception of Windows ME, nearly every Windows "household" edition has been noticeably improved over the previous one especially where it matters: being easier & more enjoyable to use. 3.1 and 95 were both piles of frustratingly disorganized garbage compared to 98, and 98/ME (while decent... when they weren't crashing, about to crash, or recovering from a crash) were little more than BSOD dispensers compared to XP.

so yeah. Aero sounds fairly inconsequential. but my guess is that the best improvements in Vista (whatever they turn out to be) will be things that haven't been promoted much, because they're not the sort of thing that's suited to the hyperbole of computer hobby magazines, or because they're too difficult to describe & must be experienced.

Seedler
02-12-2006, 02:35 AM
lol halo 2 is shit anyways, no one cares, the game's like 3 years old.

I'll just stick with ut2007 and fuck halo 2.

Hairbautt
02-12-2006, 05:40 PM
exactly. i'll just dl it and play it on my winxp... u'll see.
Agreed. That'll probably happen.

Snee
02-13-2006, 12:00 AM
well. if getting Vista to work (or work well) does require all of these hardware upgrades that i'm in no hurry to make, i reckon that i will continue to use XP for some time. and as mentioned, there will prolly be a few serious problems early on, so i don't mind standing back & letting others take the brunt of it first.

i'm sure Vista will have some better things than XP has. it will be more visually appealing, and most likely will have improvements to the default methods of accessing & sorting the user's files and preferences and such. with the odd exception of Windows ME, nearly every Windows "household" edition has been noticeably improved over the previous one especially where it matters: being easier & more enjoyable to use. 3.1 and 95 were both piles of frustratingly disorganized garbage compared to 98, and 98/ME (while decent... when they weren't crashing, about to crash, or recovering from a crash) were little more than BSOD dispensers compared to XP.

so yeah. Aero sounds fairly inconsequential. but my guess is that the best improvements in Vista (whatever they turn out to be) will be things that haven't been promoted much, because they're not the sort of thing that's suited to the hyperbole of computer hobby magazines, or because they're too difficult to describe & must be experienced.
Yeah, well, I really did think yours was a brilliant post

And myself, I'm not even that keen on xp. My all time favourite OS is still win2kpro (too bad there's no 64-bit version :( ). Now, what I want is the win2kpro to vista's xp, ie something that has all or most of the useful features in vista, and less of the useless bling.

BrolyBoo
02-20-2006, 03:38 AM
"To crack, or to buy windows vista and buy halo 2, that is the question?"

fatbobsarmy
02-20-2006, 06:12 AM
bleh windows vista ftl