PDA

View Full Version : 99% Of The People Here Are Lying!

zapjb
04-25-2003, 02:11 AM
99% of the posts by people here saying they got caught by their isp or riaa or whomever are full of shit! BS BS BS! Notice the improper grammar & ludicrous claims. Also nay hardly a one of TSIF posters has a 100+ post count. Indeed the vast majority of the posters have less than 20 posts. They're either idiots or punks or riaa scum. Had to get this out. Whew. :)

Jibbler
04-25-2003, 02:14 AM
Very true. Every threatening letter I see is the same recycled garbage. In fact, this letter (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=29506) is a hoax. Anger Management is a Sony Pictures production, not a Columbia Pictures as the letter reads. Also, the company listed at the bottom of the letter isn't even in business anymore. Good try, someone please ban this punk.

scribblec
04-25-2003, 02:19 AM
what if i was to post something like that
would i be believed
<_<

Jibbler
04-25-2003, 02:21 AM
I think you could be, IF you provided supporting proof, such as the "scanned" copy of the actual letter and envelope with stamped postage. The paper would have a watermark of some sort, or possibly raised text for the letterhead. In fact, I have yet to see ANY legitimate proof that any of these letters are real. :huh:

scribblec
04-25-2003, 02:23 AM
no i wouldnt post shit like that anyway
these people are trolls
to scare the real no0bs who actually want to use kazaa and share
the riaa is watching this forum
it has for a long time........

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2003, 02:47 AM
If the point is being made is that no letters are being sent out, then that is untrue. Did all of these posters receive letters? I don&#39;t know. If the point is that the ISPs aren&#39;t being put under pressure - then just re-read the newspapers. "Read," in case you don&#39;t ever read any.

Jibbler
04-25-2003, 02:53 AM
I&#39;m not denying that some people have received letters. The one I linked to is a definite fake. Either provide proof, or don&#39;t post. In fact, there probably are some legit letters out there, but more often then not, these are nothing more than urban legends. :huh:

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2003, 03:17 AM
The entire economic and political structure of the situation indicate that, not only have letters gone out, but that the pressure brought to bear on the ISPs will be enormous. We don&#39;t need to be denying that any action is occurring - we need to be focussing on measures to protect ourselves from these pressures. "Ostrich" tactics will bring grief to those rely on denial. I take it you&#39;re going to dump PG and your firewall?

Sneepboy
04-25-2003, 03:21 AM
Sometimes they cant even spell or make it sound official. The one in the guestroom right now cant spell RIAA or MPAA and their grammar needs work too.

zapjb
04-25-2003, 03:30 AM
I&#39;m not doubting this is happening. And I protect my sys. My point is 99/100 or more of these purported letters or emails or other notifications mentioned in this great forum are fabricated. Read BS&#33; :lol:

swarnel
04-25-2003, 03:34 AM
most of it is just to scare people

TIDE-HSV
04-25-2003, 03:36 AM
I have no doubt they are. However, there&#39;s nothing to gain for me or comfort to draw if they are. I&#39;ll continue to proceed as if the RIAA/MPAA have "persuaded" my ISP (Comcast) to cooperate. (They have and they will). Therefore, it makes absolutely no difference to me if these claims of letters are false. There will very soon be many actual letters. Believe what you will. There&#39;s not anything further I can contribute to this thread.

chloe_cc2002
04-25-2003, 03:42 AM
I think you could be, IF you provided supporting proof, such as the "scanned" copy of the actual letter and envelope with stamped postage. The paper would have a watermark of some sort, or possibly raised text for the letterhead. In fact, I have yet to see ANY legitimate proof that any of these letters are real.&nbsp;

AGREE.

When organisations are in the business of furthering some agenda the paper trail is one of your best ways of catching them out at it. Another story and too long.......

I&#39;m sure the RIAA are sending out some legitimate letters. They are stepping up their campaign and putting pressure on the ISPs. I am sure the ISPs are going to vary in their responses.

Who usually does the dirty work for a powerful organsation? Most of the time the organisation gets someone else who they disclaim any official connection to. Of course then there is always going to be an assorted array of others with their own peculiar agendas.

In most intimidation campaigns though, that is the name of the game. Take some legitimate action occasionally and engage in a lot of scaremongering to keep people in a perpetual state of vigilance.

m8t
04-25-2003, 03:53 AM
:D
They can&#39;t hurt me &#33;
and i&#39;m sticking to it &#33; to be scared is to be alert &#33;
K++ RULES , will never die&#33;
it&#39;s good entertainment reading all their s--t but we can filter some of the garb can&#39;t we?
regards
m8t :D

Sneepboy
04-25-2003, 04:03 AM
I think most of them are from the Iraqi Information Minister. Why filter them? I think they are amusing.

Switeck
04-25-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@24 April 2003 - 21:21
In fact, I have yet to see ANY legitimate proof that any of these letters are real. :huh:
I have gotten word from a friend of mine on BearShare (Gnutella networks) who does a lot of video editing that HE has gotten one of these nonexistant threat letters.

I consider the threat to be legit -- the degree and amount are what&#39;s variable.

I even was running Peer Guardian at the time and think I have the ip address/s of the scanners which nailed him... for sharing US tv shows:

Thurs, Feb 27th?:
Connection forcefully closed on: 64.15.229.56 - Overpeer
Sun, March 1st?:
Connection forcefully closed on: 64.58.66.201 - Overpeer

Thurs, March 6th:
Connection forcefully closed on: 66.79.69.33 - MediaDefender
Connection forcefully closed on: 65.160.23.158 - OverPeer
65.160.23.158 is on BearShare v4.0.1

64.15.229.56 - Overpeer, 64.58.66.201 - Overpeer, 65.160.23.158 - OverPeer, 66.79.69.33 - MediaDefender

My &#39;data&#39; could actually be legitimate users, but considering the timing of their arrival and resulting cease-and-desist EMAIL letter around the same time (about March 2nd) I am inclined to believe these are the leeches responsible.

chloe_cc2002
04-25-2003, 04:55 AM
I&#39;d consider that worth considering as at least circumstantial evidence that there might be a connection.

Jibbler
04-25-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Switeck@25 April 2003 - 00:26
64.15.229.56 - Overpeer, 64.58.66.201 - Overpeer, 65.160.23.158 - OverPeer, 66.79.69.33 - MediaDefender

My &#39;data&#39; could actually be legitimate users, but considering the timing of their arrival and resulting cease-and-desist EMAIL letter around the same time (about March 2nd) I am inclined to believe these are the leeches responsible.

legitimate users? Like this? (http://www.mediadefender.com) <_< :huh: spammer

chloe_cc2002
04-25-2003, 05:19 AM
Zonealarm tells me there have been 3 attempts at hacking over a 21 day trial period. It also tells me of unauthorised attempts to make contacts and it claims to be able to track down the destination/origin of those attempts.

Is 3 in 21 days considered a lot of hacking attempts?

MagicNakor
04-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Not particularly.

:ninja:

SolidWing68
04-25-2003, 06:57 AM
...what firewall?

Schmiggy_JK23
04-25-2003, 11:19 AM
i have been sharing and pirating since early 97.... irc, campus network days. All the people i know who share, friends, associates, fellow pirates, :lol: , no one i know, has ever seen any thing like this, or recieved anything like that. And by no means is this a small list... this is Direct connect hubs i hand out in, IRC rooms, etc...

So you... i would have to agree with the topic title...

<_< <_<

zapjb
04-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Good on you Schmiggy_JK23 &#33; :)

Switeck
04-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@24 April 2003 - 21:11
99% of the posts by people here saying they got caught by their isp or riaa or whomever are full of shit&#33; BS BS BS&#33; Notice the improper grammar & ludicrous claims. Also nay hardly a one of TSIF posters has a 100+ post count. Indeed the vast majority of the posters have less than 20 posts. They&#39;re either idiots or punks or riaa scum. Had to get this out. Whew. :)
This message board may have 4-10 lurkers for everyone that posts here.

But getting busted might be enough to make a lurker make 1 post...

And chances are pretty good that they ARE newbies who can&#39;t get anything right...

All that said, there IS random monitoring going on -- but with Kazaa often having >4 million users at one time it takes awhile to reach everyone and some of the bugs in Kazaa (router not forwarding the internet ip but instead only the LAN ip) might be accidentally protecting people.

Also, SOME ISPs are far more heavily monitored than others...

zapjb
04-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Quote Switeck @ 25 April 2003 - 11:38 And chances are pretty good that they ARE newbies who can&#39;t get anything right... :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRshady
04-28-2003, 07:42 PM
I was thinking why people are posting here there obviously fake letter (wanted to play along to hear responses) but zapjb your&#39;e right, a lot of it is bullshit and I think there here to scare newbies and possibly o.a.p&#39;s :P into being scared into sharing. Those letters are fairly beliveable but on closer inspection, the truth is clear.

harrycary
04-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Fake letters or not, the RIAA is after us file traders. Witness this (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1471535/20030425/index.jhtml?headlines=true) recent news item here in the US. Albeit they are looking for users trading large volumes of files, we are all at risk.
Personally I use a firewall and have blocked a buttload of IPs(here&#39;s (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1471535/20030425/index.jhtml?headlines=true) a great list). This won&#39;t stop anyone on the network from looking in your shared folder(s) though. And believe me, this is, in no way, illegal to do if you are sharing on an open network&#33; Duh&#33; (you, the user, has authorized it)
The best bet is to not share everything all of the time(especially movies). Mix it up a bit. Don&#39;t show up on their radar when they are browsing this network we all share.

J'Pol
04-28-2003, 08:21 PM
The whole point of these tactics is to spread fear, doubt, misinformation and discord.

That is easier than trying to prosecute or sue anyone.

These people, or more importanly those they employ are not stupid. They would not only post as newbies. They would also place sleepers within the board. Who if anything are dead against the people who wish to stop sharing, or at least appear to be.

They would spend some time building up post counts and gaining trust. They would start threads and argue with each other in order to create points for normal members to join in with. Seeking alliances from existing members and gaining credibility that way.

Remember they could be working on loads of different forums at the same time. Building up credibility, don&#39;t think that when you see a name it is always the same person at the keyboard typing. That&#39;s why it&#39;s easier to do this if you use a distinctive style of writing. People just assume it is the same person, because the name and style are the same.

They would also create several characters on the board at the same time. See who was succesful, keep them and dump the failures. Maybe that&#39;s why there are a lot of posters who only get to 10 or so.

They would make posts like this one. Or scribblec&#39;s earlier post.

Unless you know a person IRL you don&#39;t know them here and you never will.

If you&#39;ve bothered to read this, how is your sense of doubt now

imported_stg1123
04-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Very true. Every threatening letter I see is the same recycled garbage. In fact, this letter is a hoax. Anger Management is a Sony Pictures production, not a Columbia Pictures as the letter reads. Also, the company listed at the bottom of the letter isn&#39;t even in business anymore. Good try, someone please ban this punk
So I&#39;m a punk huh?
A sleeper for the RIAA?
Firstly, I was offline for several weeks if you read the beginning of my post, and if you noticed my spelling is 99% perfect apart from when I&#39;m too tired. Why do I say I was offline, because I lost touch with the forum and wasn&#39;t involved in the fact that the issue of these letters was becoming such an issue. I posted the letter the moment I received it on my email from my friend who was the victim of this hoax and I posted it because I couldnt believe this was happening and I thought everyone would be interested.
The fact that this letter is a hoax remains dubious on one level. Simply because my friend knows nothing about computers, and she sent me the letter the moment she got it basically because she had no idea what was going on. And she got it from my isp abuse division who simply would not make this thing up which means the following.....&#33;
The letter was definitely sent by someone (company or hoaxer) to my isp, she was definitely uploading anger management (although i can never prove it i think it was Mr. Deeds) and that is not a hoax. A simple search on the web found the following.....Anger Management (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/angermanagement/index.html)
Please notice which company motif is directly underneath the picture for those who are confused which film company made Anger Management. I don&#39;t really now what else to say except it may be true that there are hoaxers going around or maybe it is the ones posting here saying it is a hoax who are the ones really sleeping with the RIAA and they&#39;re trying to give all the rest of us a false sense of security. Or maybe this concept is just a little bit too confusing for those punks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit:Spelling :lol:

imported_stg1123
04-28-2003, 10:12 PM
1 more thing did, what did you check to find out the company isn&#39;t in business any more?
Punk

sleepnmojo
04-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Half the time I read these posts, I think, well that sucks for you. I&#39;ll stop when I get one, if I ever do. I figured they did something stupid to make themselves get caught. Shit happens. Just say good luck, then go back to your downloads.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
04-28-2003, 10:40 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

J'Pol
04-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN [R.I.P]@28 April 2003 - 23:40
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
See, that&#39;s the sort of thing an interloper would do.

FC is an RIAA (or whatever you call it) spy, on this board.

The whole Canadian Widow sham is a thinly veiled tissue of lies.

You are in fact 4 retired detectives, supplementing your pensions.

Come clean.

MagicNakor
04-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Maybe they only need two sleepers. Maybe those sleepers are Paul and VB&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :ph34r: :devil:

J'Pol
04-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 23:45
Maybe they only need two sleepers. Maybe those sleepers are Paul and VB&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :ph34r: :devil:

Only 1 is really required.

Jon.

Why infiltrate.

Host it yourself.

Jibbler
04-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by stg1123@28 April 2003 - 18:08
So I&#39;m a punk huh?
A sleeper for the RIAA?
I posted the letter the moment I received it on my email from my friend who was the victim of this hoax and I posted it because I couldnt believe this was happening and I thought everyone would be interested.
Lets clear up some grey area here.

1. yes, you are a punk
2. your friend is full of shit

If you can&#39;t contribute 1st hand knowledge, then I don&#39;t buy it. All you have given us is a bogus letter. I pointed out some of the obvious errors in the letter, yet you still have no response regarding these details. Please stop wasting our time. :huh:

Rat Faced
04-28-2003, 11:46 PM
When FC is reduced to falling asleep, its time to retire to where we can make him comfortable.

Someone tuck him in and take that Cig out of his hand, he&#39;ll burn the place down.

Never realised he was getting so old....... :unsure:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
04-28-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@28 April 2003 - 18:46
When FC is reduced to falling asleep, its time to retire to where we can make him comfortable.

Someone tuck him in and take that Cig out of his hand, he&#39;ll burn the place down.

Never realised he was getting so old....... :unsure:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

imported_stg1123
04-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Jibbler you are clearly a punk,
you asked 2 questions of which I answered both. (not only that guys but I emailed him personally all of the emails she received from the isp)
should I answer them again for you?
Anger Management was made by Columbia see here: PUNK (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/angermanagement/index.html)
The company exists call them tomorrow if you can work out how to use the phone, here is their number,
1-212-925-9997 (add a 00 if your calling from UK or Europe)
Please stop wasting our time,

imported_stg1123
04-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Silence from the forum, clearly the truth hurts.

J'Pol
04-29-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by stg1123@29 April 2003 - 01:07
Silence from the forum, clearly the truth hurts.
Good point, well presented. Unfortunately wrong.

Clearly the forum thinks you are boring.

zapjb
04-29-2003, 01:04 AM
TSIF :lol: :lol: :lol: Just my point it isn&#39;t. If one sees themselves in this tain&#39;t my fault. I make a relevant observation to the filesharing community. It is then downgraded (after 5 days in filesharing where it belongs) to the expletive deleted lounge&#33; :angry: :o :lol: :unsure:

imported_stg1123
04-29-2003, 01:12 AM
1: Punks belong in the lounge.
2: JmiF why are you joining in? Are you not going to give us any reasons why I am wrong. If I remember correctly from my youth Bullies always say very little very loudly.
PunkS

imported_stg1123
04-29-2003, 01:15 AM
zapjb I am sorry for you that your post was taken over by punks who unfortunately picked the wrong guy to use as an example for your clearly relevant topic opener. Be well.
(that last comment was meant for non punks. All punks can go rot in hell) B)

zapjb
04-29-2003, 01:17 AM
NP it&#39;s only the internet. :lol:

Wolfmight
04-29-2003, 01:18 AM
yea, u dont see people with 8,000+ posts sayin...oh i got caught (unless they really did all the sudden, like they were the first person caught&#33;)

lunatacs
04-29-2003, 06:51 AM
99% of the posts by people here saying they got caught by their isp or riaa or whomever are full of shit&#33; BS BS BS&#33; Notice the improper grammar & ludicrous claims. Also nay hardly a one of TSIF posters has a 100+ post count. Indeed the vast majority of the posters have less than 20 posts. They&#39;re either idiots or punks or riaa scum. Had to get this out. Whew.

I agree with you and Yet, your repeating what I and many others before said, people who got "caught" they either new registered users or unregistered users...Some talk about how bad everything turns out and what the RIAA did to them and such....others copy and paste a letter of proof, as if this can&#39;t be faked; and their are many other cases of how they always try to find new ways to say something that will scary people and they want that... because fear is good to spread around, understand?

well anyway, best thing to do is either ignore them or have the admins delete their post if they feel the post is either looks fake or simply it was already been repeated before by others...this wont stop untill they stop us. :ph34r:

J'Pol
04-29-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@28 April 2003 - 21:21
The whole point of these tactics is to spread fear, doubt, misinformation and discord.

That is easier than trying to prosecute or sue anyone.

These people, or more importanly those they employ are not stupid. They would not only post as newbies. They would also place sleepers within the board. Who if anything are dead against the people who wish to stop sharing, or at least appear to be.

They would spend some time building up post counts and gaining trust. They would start threads and argue with each other in order to create points for normal members to join in with. Seeking alliances from existing members and gaining credibility that way.

Remember they could be working on loads of different forums at the same time. Building up credibility, don&#39;t think that when you see a name it is always the same person at the keyboard typing. That&#39;s why it&#39;s easier to do this if you use a distinctive style of writing. People just assume it is the same person, because the name and style are the same.

They would also create several characters on the board at the same time. See who was succesful, keep them and dump the failures. Maybe that&#39;s why there are a lot of posters who only get to 10 or so.

They would make posts like this one. Or scribblec&#39;s earlier post.

Unless you know a person IRL you don&#39;t know them here and you never will.

If you&#39;ve bothered to read this, how is your sense of doubt now
Sorry to quote myself. However apparently (stg123) I am a bully who doesn&#39;t say very much and does it loudly.

The above is therefore a very verbose silence.

rastilin
04-29-2003, 08:21 AM
This seems to be getting a little out of hand. While I personally have no doubt that the RIAA is looking at the forums I do not believe they are actively acting against us. I find that generally, society is dumber than the criminal element for the reason that they have never had to use their brains, though now that the idea has been mentioned doubtlessly someone is going to try it. The point is that someone with low postings is not necessarily an infiltrator, they most likely have a good reason. What I would like to see is some proof that I can check myself to show that someone is or is not the enemy.

Leech_Killer
04-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately the letter that stg1123 posted IS NOT a hoax. If you do search in Google you&#39;ll find it&#39;s been going out to a great many ISP&#39;s. Here&#39;s a few examples:

ResNet (http://resnet.sfu.ca/filesharing.html)

Utah State University (http://cc.usu.edu/~bob/copyright.txt)

Hollywood muscles Australian ISPs over piracy news article (http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1054)

MP3 is not a crime.org (http://www.mp3isnotacrime.org/archives/cat_movies.php)

ZD Net (http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/communications/story/0,2000048620,20271306,00.htm)

The company behind it all is MediaForce and they are trading in what can only be described as stealth mode, as their website has been removed from the public arena. Why they&#39;ve done this is anyone&#39;s guess.

It&#39;s been mentioned why it&#39;s only newcomers that seem to be getting burned by this. I would have thought that anyone who&#39;s familiar with peer2peer networks, or anyone who&#39;s spent the time to read the relevent articles on this forum will have already protected themselves with Peer Guardian or changed their downloading habits. Thus minimising their exposure to this type of attack. Those of us that are sharing a lot of material don&#39;t do so without at least a firewall, or Socks5, or changing the port that we connect on. Where as the typical newcomer will go blindly onto Kazaa without any protect and then wonder why or how they&#39;ve been caught.

For more information on what&#39;s real and what&#39;s fake, for facts and news, then give this site a try.

Boycott RIAA (http://www.boycott-riaa.com/)

Foot Note,
I think some of you here owe stg1123 an apology.