PDA

View Full Version : My First Film School Movie!

Vamp
04-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Our character is a successful businessman who lives in a lavish house, drives an expensive car, watches TV on a huge screen and has everything going for him, yet is depressed and lonely enough to cut himself and read medical journals on depression.

You can download it here, at 30MB

http://www.streamload.com/Neverdead/StillSad.mpg

Or here on YouTube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ss6u0QyhDaQ

I did the dolly shot with a basket-trolley, so it's not entirely smooth but seeing as we weren't permitted a genuine dolly and tracks for our first term project, I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Keep in mind, the original video is SDVCPRO (36gb for three minutes), I burnt it to DVD which was 130MB, then converted the DVD to VCD which is 30MB so the quality is considerably lower than the source material (still excellent, in my opinion though.) The YouTube version goes through even further compression and will look a bit shoddy, so I suggest the 30MB file.

There is one huge continuity error, can anyone guess what it is?

mr. nails
04-02-2006, 12:36 PM
money can't buy u happiness?

happiness...

happiness...

happiness in slavery...

Tempestv
04-02-2006, 06:37 PM
There is one huge continuity error, can anyone guess what it is?

you mean that he opens the garage door, then procedes to put on his suit coat, eat breakfast, watch tv, pack his briefcase, and then go out and get his car?

colt45joe
04-02-2006, 06:40 PM
what film school do you go to?

cpt_azad
04-02-2006, 07:03 PM
it was pretty freakin good, althought you could have fit in one more establishing shot and experimented with the aperature settings (gives it a much more dramatic effect, especially when focusing in on someone, for example, the "cutting" scene you could have had a normal aperature, then when he cuts himself, go to a very low ap. setting [gradually] and zoom in on his face slowly, works wonders). But for a first, that was top-notch, keep it up man.

suprafreak6
04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
yeah it was really good and had good meaning to it, nice job!

Vamp
04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks a lot guys. :)

Tempest, he doesn't open the garage doors...The exterior of the house is just sequential puncuation between the two scenes.

Vamp
04-02-2006, 07:59 PM
By the way, I goto CityVarsity (www.cityvarsity.co.za)

Tempestv
04-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys. :)

Tempest, he doesn't open the garage doors...The exterior of the house is just sequential puncuation between the two scenes.

ok, ya, I thought I saw the door start to open for some reason. don't know why. either way, good job.

suprafreak6
04-02-2006, 09:42 PM
whats south africa like?

Vamp
04-02-2006, 10:18 PM
It's cool, except for the fact that I have to carry a tranq. gun on my way to school, lion attacks are very common.

suprafreak6
04-02-2006, 10:34 PM
because its the day after april fools it cant be a lie.lol thats cool, i want a tranq gun, wanna send me one via fedex?
take a pic of it

Vamp
04-03-2006, 05:27 AM
...Sigh.

cpt_azad
04-03-2006, 06:30 AM
lol