PDA

View Full Version : Good Essay/Bad Essay

Cheese
05-03-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm in the home straight of my second year with just two essays to finish this week. The first essay is a critical commentary of my own work, I wrote a short play about a mental woman being visited my apparitions of her dead family. That essay should be easy to write, I'll just throw in a few references to Harold Pinter because I know my lecturer thinks Pinter is the wasp's tits.

The second essay, however, is a 2,500 word behemoth about Nietzsche and how he felt about tragedy. Even though my module is about Shakespeare I have taken the brave move of talking about Euripides and Sophocles because I know there will be more books about these two chaps left in the library than any on Bill Shakespeare. I have a feeling this essay will be made up with quotes, huge chunks of quotey goodness.

:dabs:

CrabGirl
05-03-2006, 11:51 AM
If you use some of the ideas I gave you last night and try not to panic, you'll do just fine.

Cheese
05-03-2006, 11:55 AM
If you use some of the ideas I gave you last night and try not to panic, you'll do just fine.

I'm not panicking, I'm just not looking forward to all the work the second essay is going to entail. I'm going to have to, like, go to the library and stuff. :(

Barbarossa
05-03-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm fascinated by Nietzsche, because of the references in Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, because the Nietzschians are the self-proclaimed genetically engineered rulers of the galaxy, and their gangs have cool names, like Drago-Katsoff and Kodiac, and they have bony wrist spikes and are good at hand to hand fighting, etc.

When I say fascinated, I haven't actually done any research on the real Nietzsche, but I always thought that one day I would, because of this.

I'd quite like to read your essay when you've finished it. Good luck ;)

manker
05-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I think I'd rather contract aids than read your essay when you're finished - but good luck with it, obviously.

Sounds like something a lecturer would like a student to do, btw, using a slightly different approach to talk about the same thing. After marking vast swathes of Shakespeare based appraisals, it might be a refreshing change for him.

Chip Monk
05-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Just remember to put :lol: when you have said a funny and :angry: when you are referencing something which makes you unhappy. Also use :frusty: when you think Nietzsche was talking nonsense.

That, with a few pictures and maybe a graph and you will be fine.

Proper Bo
05-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I think I'd rather contract aids than read your essay when you're finished - but good luck with it, obviously.

I didn't know you could contract it twice:huh:

DorisInsinuate
05-03-2006, 02:12 PM

I didn't know you could contract it twice:huh:
This would be his third time, he's already got double bad AiDs.

manker
05-03-2006, 02:21 PM
:dabs:

DorisInsinuate
05-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Have a magenta cock.

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/7003/magentacock2cq.gif

I think b3ta is bad for me :no2:

Cheese
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Okay. I have a 17-point essay plan to take with me to the library, I have also just taken my Wakehurst team to the final of the Northern Ireland League Cup.

DorisInsinuate
05-03-2006, 02:57 PM
I have also just taken my Wakehurst team to the final of the Northern Ireland League Cup.
If you took them to the top of the English Premiership I would be more impressed :snooty:

Cheese
05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I have also just taken my Wakehurst team to the final of the Northern Ireland League Cup. If you took them to the top of the English Premiership I would be more impressed :snooty:

My aim is to take a Northern Irish, Irish or Welsh team to the group stages of the Champions League. The Northern Irish league is a piece of piss to play, I've taken my team from their Second Division to the N. Ireland Premiership in just two seasons winning the Intermediate League Cup twice. Currently I am sitting in third in the N.I. Premiership so perhaps I will be in the UEFA Cup next season...:dabs:

Barbarossa
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Just been reading about Nietzsche. Turns out he was a bit of an emo, and ended up getting pwned by his own brain.

Make sure you put that in your essay. ;)

Cheese
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds good:

Nietzsche tells us that the Dionysian elements, such as the use of the chorus, merged with the Appollonian elements are what make the tragedies of Sophocles superior to the works of later playwrights such as Euripides (who marginalized the role of the chorus). However, it should be noted that he sounds like a bit of an emo and his arguments ended up pwning his own brain.

LoobiLou
05-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I have two 2,000 word essays due in tomorrow that I haven't started yet :unsure:

DorisInsinuate
05-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I have no work to do all week :dabs:

LoobiLou
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Filthy student :dry:

4play
05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I have my 10,000 word dissertation due in friday as well. Im pretty much screwed so I have been down the pub trying to get the creative juices flowing, lets see how well this pans out. :dabs

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Just been reading about Nietzsche. Turns out he was a bit of an emo, and ended up getting pwned by his own brain.

Make sure you put that in your essay. ;)
:lol::earl:

I will use the phrase "... ended up getting pwned by his own brain" in casual conversation at every possible opportunity.

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I have my 10,000 word dissertation due in friday as well. Im pretty much screwed so I have been down the pub trying to get the creative juices flowing, lets see how well this pans out. :dabs
Fit's it aboot, loike.

Cheese
05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm back from my adventures in the library. My Nietzsche essay is looking shite, I'm going to throw in some stuff about Shakespeare after all to pad it out. It's a shame because my other piece of work is looking really strong, so together they just average out. :dabs:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Will you pass, arse.

Cheese
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Will you pass, arse.

Yeah, with a 2:1 for the year most likely.

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Will you pass, arse.

Doesn't seem like a whole lot to get depressed about well.

DorisInsinuate
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
:no: His whole course has been a waste of time now.

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 07:47 PM
:no: His whole course has been a waste of time now.
We knew that anyway.

Non-rhyming poetry, wtf is that all about.

LoobiLou
05-03-2006, 07:53 PM
My politics essays is due in tomorrow by 4pm, we lose 10% each WORKING day that we hand an assignment in late, if I hand the essay in on Monday i'll only lose 10% won't I? (I'm triple checking in case i'm wrong)

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 07:59 PM
My politics essays is due in tomorrow by 4pm, we lose 10% each WORKING day that we hand an assignment in late, if I hand the essay in on Monday i'll only lose 10% won't I? (I'm triple checking in case i'm wrong)
No, Mulder works at the weekend, so you'll lose 40%.

If he didn't then you would lose 20% (thurs - frid = 10%) (frid - mon = 10%) if you work in 24 hour cycles.

LoobiLou
05-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I had a feeling that might be the case :(

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I had a feeling that might be the case :(
Can you check on the interweb or owt?

However that's soitanly the logical way to look at it (sans the Mulder aspect, obviousement).

manker
05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
That Fromagepas is a git :D

If you hand it in on Monday morning, you'll only lose 10%.

It stands to reason - your lecturers wouldn't have made the distinction of a 'working day' otherwise.

If I'm wrong then we'll sacrifice seven emo teenagers.

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM

It stands to reason - your lecturers wouldn't have made the distinction of a 'working day' otherwise.

manker's right. Sorry for misleading you.

DanB
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
just wank on a sheet of A4 and hand it in.

manker
05-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Yeah, but if it's due tomorrow, then Friday is a day late ergo Monday is two days late. Or am I falling into your cunning linguistic rodiness agin'.
Are you trying to foil my plans to sacrifice Dave and the entire lol boy contingent :smilie4:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but if it's due tomorrow, then Friday is a day late ergo Monday is two days late. Or am I falling into your cunning linguistic rodiness agin'.
Are you trying to foil my plans to sacrifice Dave and the entire lol boy contingent :smilie4:
Sorted.

LoobiLou
05-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Ah, well it actually says "10% will be deducted for each working day or part working day" does that make any difference? :unsure: I better ring in and ask...

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Ah, well it actually says "10% will be deducted for each working day or part working day" does that make any difference? :unsure: I better ring in and ask...
Sorry for fucking about.

It's 20% if you hand it in on Monday. There is no other sensible interpretation of said rule.

Unless they consider that Thursday finishes at 16:00 hours and you hand it in on Monday, before the working day starts. In that instance you would have lost all day Friday (1 day) and no part of Monday.

manker
05-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Students finish at 4pm :smilie4:

Get that essay in prior to 9am on Monday morning and the lives of seven virgins will be saved.

LoobiLou
05-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Bugger...well i've finished the other one and i'm too tired to even start trawling through politics books so it looks like it's gonna be at least Friday now. It could interpreted either way so i'll call the department tomorrow and ask them :)

Cheese
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I got 5% of my Shakespeare module mark deducted fo not posting on a forum set up to discuss Shakespeare:

As of Midnight on Friday the message board was closed.

Anyone who has not made 2 contributions will be deducted 5% of their total mark for the module.

I hope this proved a useful exercise.

Apparently, me asking who the bird in Shakespeare in Love was and asking my mate James if he fancied a pint after Monday's lecture did not count as a "contribution".

DanB
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
:glag:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Bugger...well i've finished the other one and i'm too tired to even start trawling through politics books so it looks like it's gonna be at least Friday now. It could interpreted either way so i'll call the department tomorrow and ask them :)
WHAT, you are going to ask the people who know, rather than trusting the interpretation of half-wits on an interweb filesharing forum?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm insulted.

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I got 5% of my Shakespeare module mark deducted fo not posting on a forum set up to discuss Shakespeare:

Anyone who has not made 2 contributions will be deducted 5% of their total mark for the module.

Apparently, me asking who the bird in Shakespeare in Love was and asking my mate James if he fancied a pint after Monday's lecture did not count as a "contribution".

:lol::earl::cawk:

manker
05-03-2006, 10:25 PM
half-witsGiven the conversation we've just had about this (pretty gosh darn important) issue - I'd say that's pretty generous :o

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 10:31 PM
half-witsGiven the conversation we've just had about this (pretty gosh darn important) issue - I'd say that's pretty generous :o
Only a truly Ghey man would use the word "pretty" twice in the same sentence.

manker
05-03-2006, 10:34 PM
I added the brackets in an edit and it was a race against time before the dreaded watermark time limit kicked in.

Hence the gheyness :dabs:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I added the brackets in an edit and it was a race against time before the dreaded watermark time limit kicked in.

Congratulation, I didn't think you could make the gheyness worse. Your feeble attempt at mitigation has cracked it.

manker
05-03-2006, 10:42 PM

Congratulation, I didn't think you could make the gheyness worse. Your feeble attempt at mitigation has cracked it.
Hoi! That's quality motherfucking mitigation, right there.

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Mitigation is the last resort of the loser. Fact.

manker
05-03-2006, 10:57 PM
To be fair, it was my first resort.

I don't recall using a different tactic. This much is induspited.

In fact, if mitigation was my first resort, misdirection has just made a swift entry as the second :smilie4:

Fromagepas
05-03-2006, 11:02 PM
To be fair, it was my first resort.

I don't recall using a different tactic. This much is induspited.

In fact, if mitigation was my first resort, misdirection has just made a swift entry as the second :smilie4:
:glag::earl::genious:

thewizeard
05-04-2006, 04:55 AM
..as long as you are not wasting tax-payer's money...write what you wish to...

LoobiLou
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Would have been 20% if i'd have handed it in on Monday...but...my tutor gave me an extension til Wednesday :D

Gripper
05-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Would have been 20% if i'd have handed it in on Monday...but...my tutor gave me an extension til Wednesday :D
Bet you used your womanly wiles on him :naughty:

Cheese
05-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Fuck it. My good essay will just have to make up for how bad my bad essay is going to be. I'm 1,700 words away from the word limit, but I do have a cunning plan. I am going to insert a huge quote that argues against Nietzsche's position on Greek tragedy and split it up into 4 or 5 parts and between each passage type things like "Yeah!", "I agree" and "lol".

That should do.

DorisInsinuate
05-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Change your name back to Withcheese, you gay.

Cheese
05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Change your name back to Withcheese, you gay.

Random, but okay.

Board admin? Make it so.

Gripper
05-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't give in to doris's sinister mind bending powers,come on man you can fight it.

DorisInsinuate
05-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I persuaded him with my Jedi Derren Brown powers :happy:

Fromagepas
05-04-2006, 07:12 PM
If you do it I'm changing my name back to Hobbes.

Gripper
05-04-2006, 09:02 PM
T'is madnes I say,utter madness

Barbarossa
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know who anyone is anymore :emo:

Cheese
05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I handed in one essay which was brilliant. The other one was too bad to hand in and I would have had to repeat it anyhow. I should get another question set during the summer, lets hope it has nothing to do with Nietzsche. :dry:

CrabGirl
05-05-2006, 09:52 AM

:glag: You lost marks for spamming a School forum!!!

You utter twonk! :lol:

Barbarossa
05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I handed in one essay which was brilliant. The other one was too bad to hand in and I would have had to repeat it anyhow. I should get another question set during the summer, lets hope it has nothing to do with Nietzsche. :dry:

I'm suspecting that no-one in the world has ever handed in a Nietzsche essay. :emo:

CrabGirl
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM

I'm suspecting that no-one in the world has ever handed in a Nietzsche essay. :emo:

I don't think Nietzsche existed. I'm suspecting he is an artifact created by evil lecturers in order to write confusing essay titles and test the finger flexibility of the students who have to type Nietzsche again and again.

Barbarossa
05-05-2006, 10:02 AM
$100 says you just used cut n' paste :emo:

Cheese
05-05-2006, 10:08 AM
The essay question, for those of you interested in these kinds of things:

Nietzsche speaks of 'the metaphysical comfort - with which ... every true tragedy leaves us - that life is at the bottom of things, despite all the changes of appearance, indestructibly powerful and pleasurable'. How helpful do you find this statement? You should make reference to two of the plays you have studied.

I probably could write a decent essay on this but for some reason my essay went off on a tangent about the Greek chorus and there was zero reference to any of the plays we had read. Sadly there wasn't enough of the essay to salvage or time to write anything worth handing in.

CrabGirl
05-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Nietzsche speaks of 'the metaphysical comfort - with which ... every true tragedy leaves us - that life is at the bottom of things, despite all the changes of appearance, indestructibly powerful and pleasurable'. How helpful do you find this statement? You should make reference to two of the plays you have studied.

I probably could write a decent essay on this but for some reason my essay went off on a tangent about the Greek chorus and there was zero reference to any of the plays we had read. Sadly there wasn't enough of the essay to salvage or time to write anything worth handing in.

I think you just wore your brains out on the other eight essays you've done in the last few weeks. :ermm:

Cheese
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM

I think you just wore your brains out on the other eight essays you've done in the last few weeks. :ermm:

That and I enjoyed working on my play too much. I'm pretty sure that the mark for that will balance out the 40% I stand to get for the essay I'll have to redo. I did a quick estimate of my grades for this year and I should be hovering around the 2:1 area still. Which is nice.

Barbarossa
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I think Nietzsche wore his brains out by having to remember how to spell "Nietzsche" when he signed cheques, etc. :emo:

Barbarossa
05-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I was hovering around the 2:1 area. :dabs:

I got a 2:2 by half a percent. :emo:

If you get a 2:1, good on ya! :)

CrabGirl
05-05-2006, 10:16 AM

I missed a first by 4%. I even appealled but they were tight mofuckers. :dry:

Cheese
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM

Cheers. I'm hoping what will swing it for me is the fact that I have been getting good grades for my creative work and I am allowed to do a creative piece for my dissertation. :shifty:

Barbarossa
05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
:lol: 4% is a bit of a mountain :schnauz:

I missed a first by 10.5%. I tried to bribe the lecturer, and even offered her hawt sex, even though she had a moustache and a voice like Zed from the Police Academy films. But I still ended up with a "desmond" :emo:

Cheese
05-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I only want a 2:1 because my sister got a "desmond".