PDA

View Full Version : Name this book/series

ilw
05-05-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm trying to find a book/series of books that was recommended to me ages ago. All i can remember is a vague storyline, but i was hoping that by chance someone might have read it.

Its a sci fi book and from what i remember its set in a galactic civilisation with lots of alien races. Most of these races are sort of low ranked, i.e. they were created on purpose and they are fairly technologically inferior, but they are protected by their sponsor aliens (I think who created them?). Humanity on the other hand is a species which evolved on its own and has no sponsor, however, it is also technologically weak. I think the basis of the book(s) is how humanity avoids being wiped out.

Fromagepas
05-05-2006, 07:21 PM
No knowledge, sorry.

Just read the Lensman books.

Gripper
05-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I think fromage may be right there
Try this link for summarys (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/dastuart/fictiondir/authordir/eesmith/)

Fromagepas
05-06-2006, 10:54 AM
:lol:

I didn't mean it was the Lensman stuff. I just thought if he liked that sort of thing then he would like those as well. I read them many moons ago and thought they were ace. Basically cowboy stories set in space. Nothing wrong with that like. Sometimes fun is just fun, with no particular deep underlying message.

Cheese
05-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Also read Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series if you haven't already.

ilw
05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Cheers for the suggestions guys, the lensman series sounds like it has a similarish situational setting, but as fromage says i don't think its the same series.
I'll give it a look tho.

Sextent
05-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Also read Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series if you haven't already.
The Thomas Covenant books are good too, apparent from the occasional use of ostentatious language.

Cheese
05-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Also read Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series if you haven't already. The Thomas Covenant books are good too, apparent from the occasional use of ostentatious language.

Yeah, I hate it when people do that.

Fromagepas
05-08-2006, 07:27 PM
The Thomas Covenant books are good too, apparent from the occasional use of ostentatious language.

Yeah, I hate it when people do that.
Shut your cawk, poet.

thewizeard
05-11-2006, 05:47 PM
It wouldn't be the The Amber Series by Roger Zelazany, ilw? Worth reading, so add it to your list :)