PDA

View Full Version : The U.S. Military

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2006, 07:27 AM
It occurs to me that the United States spends a whacking great amount of money each year on it's military. Including, but not limited to, research and development. Is it possible (at a subconcious level) that some of the U.S.'s current international deployments may be (partially) as a result of having to justify this massive use of resources?

Or indeed (again subconciously) as a means of "field testing" it's new assets? To ensure that, heaven forfend, she ever has to do battle with someone capable of fighting back.

sear
05-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Not a bad point realy. Probably no coincidence that those who wanted to rush into Iraq have strong ties to military contractors. Still for all the cash they throw at it the insurgents seem to be able to hold them off. Plus the US doesn't seem to be using any new technology there I think current deployments are just a good way of using up old stock so they can go back to congress and say see I told ya so we need more and more and more... on top of that it gives them a chance to develop and Army of battle hardened soldiers instead a bunch of kids playing games in the woods. Not that I'm trying to bash the individual soldiers big respect for those dying every day right now in fact I hope they stay safe....that goes for the Aussies and Brits and Itialians and Japanese and anyone else sent over there.

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Not that I'm trying to bash the individual soldiers big respect for those dying every day right now
I would hate that, dying every day must be pish.

davidkinto
05-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Am a Bothered!!!!!!!

sear
05-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Not that I'm trying to bash the individual soldiers big respect for those dying every day right now
I would hate that, dying every day must be pish.

:lol: :lol: good point bothers me too

Seedler
05-27-2006, 04:57 PM
US military pwns

j2k4
05-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Still for all the cash they throw at it the insurgents seem to be able to hold them off. Plus the US doesn't seem to be using any new technology there I think current deployments are just a good way of using up old stock so they can go back to congress and say see I told ya so we need more and more and more... on top of that it gives them a chance to develop and Army of battle hardened soldiers instead a bunch of kids playing games in the woods.

From another thread:

...it is now unimaginable that we would use anything approaching the full measure of our military power (the nuclear option aside) in the wars we fight. And this seems only reasonable given the relative weakness of our Third World enemies in Vietnam and in the Middle East. But the fact is that we lost in Vietnam, and today, despite our vast power, we are only slogging along--if admirably--in Iraq against a hit-and-run insurgency that cannot stop us even as we seem unable to stop it. Yet no one--including, very likely, the insurgents themselves--believes that America lacks the raw power to defeat this insurgency if it wants to. So clearly it is America that determines the scale of this war. It is America, in fact, that fights so as to make a little room for an insurgency.

You see, it's as much a psychological phenomenon as anything

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Still for all the cash they throw at it the insurgents seem to be able to hold them off. Plus the US doesn't seem to be using any new technology there I think current deployments are just a good way of using up old stock so they can go back to congress and say see I told ya so we need more and more and more... on top of that it gives them a chance to develop and Army of battle hardened soldiers instead a bunch of kids playing games in the woods.

From another thread:

...it is now unimaginable that we would use anything approaching the full measure of our military power (the nuclear option aside) in the wars we fight. And this seems only reasonable given the relative weakness of our Third World enemies in Vietnam and in the Middle East. But the fact is that we lost in Vietnam, and today, despite our vast power, we are only slogging along--if admirably--in Iraq against a hit-and-run insurgency that cannot stop us even as we seem unable to stop it. Yet no one--including, very likely, the insurgents themselves--believes that America lacks the raw power to defeat this insurgency if it wants to. So clearly it is America that determines the scale of this war. It is America, in fact, that fights so as to make a little room for an insurgency.

Unfortunately it's bunkum. Military might is meaningless when fighting guerillas, insurgents, terrorists. Call them what you will. Unless of course you decide to destroy the whole country, but wait, that won't work either.

Your military strength is indeed impressive and for the big hits it's just the ticket. It's just the end game. No matter how big your military and how many brazillion dollars you wish to spend on it, that matters not one jot when it comes to dealing with the small numbers of your enemy remaining. So long as they have the heart for the fight and there is nothing to indicate that will go away, then they will be there fighting you.

However, as someone alluded to earlier, there's a lot of people who have a vested interest in the conflicts continuing. Who have a vested interest in your people seeing a real and present danger and as such signing the cheques for the military contracts.

We're no better by the way, we just operate on a much smaller scale.

sear
05-27-2006, 09:56 PM
From another thread:

Unfortunately it's bunkum. Military might is meaningless when fighting guerillas, insurgents, terrorists. Call them what you will. Unless of course you decide to destroy the whole country, but wait, that won't work either.

Your military strength is indeed impressive and for the big hits it's just the ticket. It's just the end game. No matter how big your military and how many brazillion dollars you wish to spend on it, that matters not one jot when it comes to dealing with the small numbers of your enemy remaining. So long as they have the heart for the fight and there is nothing to indicate that will go away, then they will be there fighting you.

True America has a massive ammount of raw military power. but how do you stop someone who is willing to sacrafice thair life just to blow up a few people. Even more to the point the Iraqi insurgents are now more often than not targeting Iraqis cooperating with the new gov or of a different religious backround to spark a civil war. Kind of hard to stop me thinks. The only thing that might be able to help would be more troops which the US gov seems unable / unwilling to send. But that was the problem in the first place. sure Saddam was overthrown fairly easily after years of sanctions but how do ya controll a country on a shoestring, kind of hard. Basicly the US doesn't have the stomach to see more and more troops dying for another 10 years or so, which even the Pentagon admits is an estimate that is not out of the question, to completly stamp out the insurgents. But that could have been part of the plan. It's funny but one of the main probs in Iraq is unemployment but were reconstruction contracts given to local firms that use local rescources. Not realy most of the billions has gone to massive US companies so they can overspend and get ripped off importing the raw materials needed from overseas. On top of that you have a huge industry for private security firms which are making a nice little packet off of the instability. If the Iraqis take controll or coalition forces manage to quell the violence alot of people are going to lose out. The sad thing is realy is that it's too late now America and its allies must finish the job or risk creating another Afghanistan after the withdrawl of the USSR. It's just one big cycle of profit and death with no end in sight which just distracts form the real job. stamping out poverty and injustice so Osama and his fuckwit mates...or closer to home for me JI and Noordin Mohammad Top who loves killing Australians...have no where to hide and someone can put a bullet through their heads :gunsmilie

PS don't take me too seriously cuz i'm full shit anyway :wacko:

peat moss
05-27-2006, 10:05 PM
US military pwns

Yes seems to be , and the Canadia's are a bunch of Tire Biters . You know like that fat broad that wants the big car and will do anything to sit in it .

Sear said it best tho . :(

Seedler
05-28-2006, 03:55 AM
US military pwns

Yes seems to be , and the Canadia's are a bunch of Tire Biters . You know like that fat broad that wants the big car and will do anything to sit in it .

Pff...We can strike back with an army of homosexual seals and naked angry natives anyday and make the US military larf to death.:whistling

The only reason the US military is so powerful anyways is because it only spends about 346 gazillion more dollars than any other country.
:dry:

sear
05-28-2006, 07:06 AM

Look i know I'm full of shit no need to rub it in jeez :cry: make me feel bad.

@Seedler I think an army of homosexual seals and naked angry natives are exactly what Iraq needs. them gawd dam terrorists neva seen anything like that. surprise tactics thats what it's all about :D

thewizeard
05-28-2006, 07:22 AM
That's the cost of being the zelf-appointed police force of the world.

edt: and why are you spamming the Lounge with all these serious subjects, Mr Fugley? :blink:

Mr JP Fugley
05-28-2006, 09:58 AM
That's the cost of being the zelf-appointed police force of the world.

edt: and why are you spamming the Lounge with all these serious subjects, Mr Fugley? :blink:
It's the Lounge, I can start any threads I want, Nazi.

I didn't fight and die in two World wars to have the likes of you tell me what I can post.

thewizeard
05-28-2006, 11:05 AM
:haha: :)

Seedler
05-28-2006, 07:02 PM
:haha: :)

Was the :haha: supposed to be a smilie? 'Cause if it was, then you failed miserably.:ha:

thewizeard
05-29-2006, 08:25 AM
erm..yes but more a symbolic one seedler :understood?: :no2:

Agrajag
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
:ithinknot:

Agrajag
05-29-2006, 10:27 AM
For clarification, that isn't "I thin knot", that would just be mental.

Seedler
05-29-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the clarification.:dry:

fugley
05-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Hairy Bottom?

Chip Monk
05-29-2006, 12:58 PM

No problem, I think it's important that people like you can join in with normal people discussing things. It's unfair to lock you away amongst your own kind.

thewizeard
05-29-2006, 01:20 PM
my brother is good at untying knots.. particularly thin ones..must be a question of patience :lol:<---palindrome; for the clarity..

Chip Monk
05-29-2006, 01:24 PM
my brother is good at untying knots.. particularly thin ones..must be a question of patience :lol:<---palindrome; for the clarity..
That's a long palindrome.:blink:

thewizeard
05-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Hairy Bottom?

:cry: erm..did anyone else notice someone? :blink:

Fugley :w00t:

Chip Monk
05-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Hairy Bottom?

:cry: erm..did anyone else notice someone? :blink:

Fugley :w00t:
I think it's VB and he's been here all along.

Seedler
05-29-2006, 07:37 PM
No problem, I think it's important that people like you can join in with normal people discussing things. It's unfair to lock you away amongst your own kind.

I'd consider that a racism comment...To your MOM! Oh pwn3d!

I wish I could say the above in an intelligent manner where it would actually be real pwnage and make sense, but since I can't I just said it anyways.

Btw, I thought all monks are ghey and get regular buttsecks:naughty:

Chip Monk
05-29-2006, 07:46 PM

I wish I could say the above in an intelligent manner where it would actually be real pwnage and make sense, but since I can't I just said it anyways.

You're an idiot.

Seedler
05-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Go fook a chipmunk or something...shooo you sub-500 post ragin homosexual. Stfu plz. Tit.

Proper Bo
05-30-2006, 12:40 AM
:pinch:

thewizeard
05-30-2006, 10:15 AM

Hey Chip Monk.... you were of course excluding me, under that description, "normal people" :) ..hopefully..

@ Seedler, you surely meant a racial comment? Do you belong to a new race of humans or something? Have you been having it away with Chimps again...you know they are still taboo. It's Bonobos., that's all the rage at the moment
Coming from you ..I find it also all rather hipocritical...after reading you thread on the holocaust lecture.

Chip Monk
05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Go fook a chipmunk or something...shooo you sub-500 post ragin homosexual. Stfu plz. Tit.
You really are an idiot.

Proper Bo
05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
shutup, noob:smilie4:

Chip Monk
05-30-2006, 03:50 PM
You don't need to be aboot long to spot an idiot.

Seedler
05-31-2006, 12:00 AM
Anyone can make up one word affronts...calling me an idiot?:dry:

Stfu plz you tit.

Fecking nooby chipmunk...go find nuts to suck on.

Proper Bo
05-31-2006, 12:02 AM
:pinch: