PDA

View Full Version : Play WOW on private servers

abu_has_the_power
06-23-2006, 07:24 AM
can u really play wow on private servers w/o a real key? how does that work?

suprafreak6
06-26-2006, 01:58 AM
yeah im wondering about that also...

JordoR
06-26-2006, 07:06 AM
It's actually pretty simple..

All you have to do is download the game and install it properly. Then after that to find a server to play on go to : http://www.wowstatus.net/

Pick out ur server and then in order to play on it (besides having the correct patch version which you have to install on your own), you have to change the ip in which WoW connects to.

There is two ways to do this.

1. Go into your WOW directory and open up realmlist with notepad and change the line to set realmlist "whatever the ip is".
^ without the quotation marks of course.

2. You can go to the website that has the private server lists and download their software called WoW FE.

I would suggest doing option 2 because it will automatically change the realmlist for you, and you can keep a list of favorites.

abu_has_the_power
06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
interesting

so y is everyone saying wow sucks cuz u gotta pay for it?

22ji
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
thanks for the tip jordor, i will try it.

suprafreak6
06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
im sure that not all the private servers are as good as the servers bnet have for it

Seedler
06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Cool thx.

JordoR
06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I've played quite my share of private WoW servers and have found several key differences from the real b.net servers, some being good and some being bad.

Cons

-Latency is almost always increased which results in more lag.

-There obviously aren't as many people in private realms as the real thing.

-It's hard to find a good server that stays up for a moderate period of time that you will enjoy.

Pros

-Different servers have different XP Rates, Item and Gold Drop Rates, and Secret Vendors; depending on whether you want to play like real b.net servers, or if you want to just have some fun and lvl fast etc.

-Some servers have special features such as: starting you out with an epic mount and a certain amount of gold to start easier, special areas that have high level monsters lvl.255 etc.. that drop godlies.

-Most servers (unless playing in legit b.net type private servers) will have the max character level raised up to as high as 255, which makes the game last longer and more fun.

-Not paying the monthly fees or buying the actual game :shifty: