PDA

View Full Version : Complicated NAT problem...Help

Seedler
07-02-2006, 02:51 AM
I sold my p3 laptop that I use to download, and now I have to download through my new desktop.

I tried to configure my new connection, but I'm too noob to solve the NAT problem I'm experiencing.

I am using a 5mb/s cable connection, and the cable modem is RCA model DCM325.

I am also using wireless G on the desktop, through a Linksys WRK54G router.

I read the "Solving slow BitTorrent download speeds" guide here, so now my questions are follows:

1. Does having a cable modem require any additional steps to configure?

2. Does using wireless affect my ability to port forward my router?

And if someone can give me a brief breakdown of what I need to do, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for replies.:)

Seedler
07-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Also, how do I know if my connection is shared using Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

Virtualbody1234
07-02-2006, 04:35 AM
You don't need to be using ICS when using a router. Each PC will automatically have a connection to the internet via the assigned DHCP IP (done by the router).

Go into your router config page: http://192.168.1.1 default password is admin

Click on Applications and Gaming tab. Insert an application name, Insert the start and end port range that you wish to forward, leave the protocol at both and be sure to use the correct IP of the computer using the app.

To find your IP... Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt. Type ipconfig and press return. You should see your local IP.

Chewie
07-02-2006, 08:52 AM
While you're in the router config pages, set your computer to always be assigned the same IP.

Seedler
07-02-2006, 04:41 PM
M'kay, correctly forwarded my router to port 63333. The health icon in Azureus has finally gone green.:)

But I still get crappy download speeds. I still get over 200kb/s for like 30 secs, and then the torrent speeds drop to 1-5 kb/s again, just like before with a NAT problem.

What could be causing this?:angry:

Seedler
07-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Okay, Azureus now tells me that I am DHT firewalled. (There appears to be a problem with the Distributed Database's UDP port mapping (NAT/Firewall).

What's this DHT firewall thing and how do I solve the problem?:blink:

I have no firewalls installed, and even turned off windows firewall, with no anti-virus software whatsoever. In fact, my comp is running so simply and clean I only have 18 vital processes running.

ilw
07-02-2006, 06:27 PM
It sounds like you haven't forwarded the required udp port.
When you forwarded port 63333 did you forward both protocols (tcp and udp) or did you just forward tcp?
But DHT probably won't affect your download speed much, try downloading a really popular and well seeded torrent and let it run for a bit to see if you actually have a problem or if its just the torrents you have been trying.

Seedler
07-02-2006, 10:54 PM
It sounds like you haven't forwarded the required udp port.
When you forwarded port 63333 did you forward both protocols (tcp and udp) or did you just forward tcp?
But DHT probably won't affect your download speed much, try downloading a really popular and well seeded torrent and let it run for a bit to see if you actually have a problem or if its just the torrents you have been trying.

I forwarded both. I saw that option and I specifically remember selecting both. But the problem persists, even when I use private trackers (Bitsoup, Torrentleech) I still have the problem of reaching over 200kb/s for 1 min, then having my download speed drop to 5kb/s again for 10 min. It's like I haven't solved my NAT problem at all.:frusty:

Nickthestick91
07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Did you open the ports in your firewall? I know I have to open all of the ports that I in ZoneAlarm after I forward them.

Seedler
07-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Did you open the ports in your firewall? I know I have to open all of the ports that I in ZoneAlarm after I forward them.

Again, I don't use a firewall.:(

I even turned off Windows firewall:frusty: