PDA

View Full Version : Sig2dat Question

danzak
05-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi, just starting dlding using sig2dat, I have one question. The hash files that are posted on these forums, are they specific to the poster's computer? I mean, if I use a hash that John Doe posts, does Kazaa try to dload from his machine, or is it generic? THanks for any help.

Nightwolf
05-03-2003, 08:05 AM
No, hashes are not user specific, they're file specific. Kazaa will automatically try to find as many users sharing the file as it can.

Most of the hashes posted here are from files that people have downloaded with Kazaa. Therefore, most of them have multiple sources. However, sometimes a user will post a hash for a file that is unique to his or her computer, with the hope that others will download and share it and it will spread thoughout the Fasttrack network. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing just by looking at the hash how many people are sharing it and how long it will take to download (unless other people here have tried it and tell you).

danzak
05-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks kindly wolf. So, if I can't connect to a file for a day or 2 (especially common files) I can assume the hash is specific to the user and should try finding another one. Specifically, I'm trying to get Vietcong and Splinter Cell Disc 2 which are pretty common I think so there should be multiple sources for these now.

Nightwolf
05-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Well, both of those games are still pretty new so there might not be a lot of sources available yet. I've had games (and movies) take several weeks to finish downloading already. But if you want to try a different hash, you can always just leave those other ones in your transfer list while you add some different versions. If you get one that seems to be downloading fast, just pause the other ones until it completes.

danzak
05-03-2003, 08:28 PM
sounds good. Thanks for the help. Cheers

vegeta
05-04-2003, 04:34 PM
go here in this topic paul explains some thing similar to this:

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...=ST&f=4&t=28833 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=28833)