PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii ~ Full System Info!

iMartin
07-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Finally...

The Wii Hardware

- Nintendo Wii’s ‘Broadway’ CPU operates at 729MHZ with a maximum bandwith of 1.9gbyte/sec.
- Nintendo Wii’s ‘HollyWood’ GPU is clocked at 243MHZ, the internal memory of it includes 3mb of embedded graphics memory and 24megabytes of high speed main memory.
- 64megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as the external main memory. Just like the internal memory, it can be accessed from the CPU and GPU with a maximum bandwidth of 4gbytes/sec and can also store programs in the MEM2.
- The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.

Wii's Optical Disc Drive

- Opitcal Disc Drive (ODD) supports single and dual layer Wii disks, discs eject with software or button and the maximum read speed is the equivalent of DVDx6.
- Two main disc types supported the single sided 12cm single sided 4.7gb and the double sided 8.51 GB. Nintendo GC discs also supported. Some of the capacity of the discs are used by the system and games can not use full disc space.
- Inserting a disc will start the Wii console, even if it was already in an off state. Pressing the eject button will change the console to an on state to take out the disc also.

General Overview

- An optional wired LAN adapter that connects to a USB port is in the pipeline for users who do not possess a wireless LAN set-up currently.
- Internal non-removable 512MB flash memory used to storage game save data and downloadable content thus eliminating the need for a memory card.
- Both Wii discs and Gamecube discs can be played via an intelligent mode swap. When running in GC mode, the Wii’s CPU and GPU will lower to the respective speeds of the GC and some of the MEM2 functions as ARAM.
- Software development environment is an upgrade to the ‘Dolphin SDK’ used with the GC; the same libraries are used so developers can get up to scratch easily as well as the possibility of ports being easier.
- The following interfaces are included with the Wii; SD card slot, Wireless controller, two USB 2.0 ports, wireless LAN, 4x GC controller ports, 2x GC memory card slots and an AV multi output jack (only an analog jack).
- Supports Wii disks (one sided 12cm) and GC discs (one sided 8cm) and console auto switches depends on what disk is inserted
- More than just the Nunchaku is planned as an extension. GC peripherals such as DK bongos can be used in both Wii and GC modes.
- Three power status, on, off and unplugged. To prevent mistaken turn offs, the power button must be held for about a second.

The Wii Control System

- The Wii controller features; Direct Pointing Device, Three axis accelerometer, Wii power button (remotely turn console on/off), buttons, wireless connectivity, indicator LED’s, rumble, battery powered (two AA alkaline batteries) and ability to connect extension unit.
- The Wii controller supports three types of operations; by itself, with a nunchuk extension or with a classic controller. Classic controllers will ship to developers during August 2006.
- The SYNCHRO button on the Wii controller exchanges wireless ID numbers when pressed at the same time as SYNCRHO on the Wii console. Wireless communications are only possible with consoles which have been authenticated.
- The rumble motor can be turned on and off and the intensity can be changed.
- The Wii remote has a pointer for fine movements as well as a motion sensor +/- 3.4G suitable for larger body movements, the nunchuk attachment has a sensor of +/- 2G
- The sensor bar must be placed above or below a TV set, the pointer measures coordinates between the ends of the bar which are about 20cm apart.
- The Wii remote has four status, disconnected, communicating, establishing connection and pairing wait status.
- The pointer can measure co-ordinates within bounds of rectangle centered upon the sensor bar, thus it can also measure points beyond the screen. It also responds to strong light sources, windows, fluorescent lamps, fireplaces, mirrors etc.
- Due to players hands shaking while holding the controller, a ring buffer allows a precise direction to be created to hold and average accelerator samples.

Broadway CPU

Broadway is Wii's CPU. Broadway functionality and specifications are as follows.

• Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

Hollywood GPU

Hollywood is a system LSI composed of a GPU and internal main memory (MEM1). Hollywood is clocked at 243 MHz. Its internal memory consists of 3 megabytes of embedded graphics memory and 24 megabytes of high speed main memory.

Hollywood includes the following.
• Graphics processing unit (with 3 megabytes of eDRAM)
• Audio DSP
• I/O Bridge
• 24 megabytes of internal main memory
• Internal main memory operates at 486 MHz.
Maximum bandwidth between Hollywood and internal main memory: 3.9 gigabytes per second
• Possible to locate a program here
Reference Information: Hollywood is similar to Nintendo GameCube’s Flipper and Splash components.

External Main Memory (MEM2)

Wii uses 64 megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as external main memory. Like internal main memory, MEM2 can be accessed directly from Broadway and the GPU at high speed and has a peak bandwidth of 4 gigabytes/sec. Programs can also be placed in MEM2.

Reference Information: Nintendo GameCube ARAM is used as auxiliary memory for the DSP. The CPU and GPU did not have direct access to it.

MaxConsole (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=25836)

suprafreak6
07-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Someones a "Wii" crazy! haha...yeah that was lame...no but really, good summary nice find

iMartin
07-31-2006, 02:16 AM
Someones a "Wii" crazy! haha...yeah that was lame...no but really, good summary nice find

Just a Wii little bit :P

Smith
07-31-2006, 06:10 AM
How does this compare to other systems performance wise...Dosnt the 360 run at 3.2ghz?

3RA1N1AC
07-31-2006, 07:38 AM
How does this compare to other systems performance wise...Dosnt the 360 run at 3.2ghz?

forget about the hz. hertz comparisons between two completely different processors doesn't really tell you anything, because every processor has a different level of efficiency (work accomplished vs hertz spent).

anyway, how does the Wii compare:

+ cool controller
+ old-school ROMs/emulators
+ low retail price for the console
+ franchise/mascot characters (Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/Starfox/etc)

- it's a gamecube, it's a gamecube, it uses suped-up gamecube guts, it's a gamecube
- graphics not as "good" (detailed/complex) as X360 & PS3
- third party support (i.e. games not created in-house by Nintendo) will prolly not be very strong

iMartin
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes, I'll be the first to admit, that the graphics of the Wii will prolly not stand up to the 360 & PS3, but I'll also be the first to say, GRAPHICS AREN'T EVERYTHING! :dry:

--

*Update* - The dev mailed us and said he was shocked to see all these cries of 'fake', so he provided some more info to show he's not bluffing...

More info above ^ ;)

green101
08-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Graphics Arnt everything but they sure are nice, they dont have to be realistic but good enough. Gameplay is wat im all i look at. Sound is nothing for me but recently i found its better with sound. And that sound on the controller will be pretty cool.

Shiranai_Baka
08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Gameplay is the whole point of Wii since its not your everyday controller and the games require movement... somewhat.

I just can't wait for a star wars game to come out so I can swing that wiimote around and feel like t3h pro with an imaginary saber.

suprafreak6
08-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I just can't wait for a star wars game to come out so I can swing that wiimote around and feel like t3h pro with an imaginary saber.

i never thought of that....that gets me a little excited for the wii :w00t:

Busyman
08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
If graphics aren't everything...what's the point of the new system?:blink:

As far as I'm concerned:

Old school roms are nothing new
The new controller could have been on the GC

Basically the Wii is nothing more than a smaller box, with internet access, and new controller.

Don't get me wrong. Good games are games but right now I'm stoked about M$'s upcoming games more than the Wii. Even the PS3 is looking good.

The GC was already a waste. My library of bought games was paltry in comparision to even my Xbox. I don't want to reup on a console for $250 (or even $200) based on what the Wii has to offer. Playing a newer fun Mario/Metroid game with a new fangled controller isn't enough.

The Wii is just a case of Fresh and New Syndrome.

Shiranai_Baka
08-02-2006, 06:07 PM
How can you say "And new controller" so casually? The wiimote is something innovative and will give way to new types of games. You have to actually move around and play, not just sit on your ass which is good for us fat people :).

Edit: Just found a new article that proves Wii's godliness! (It's related to the game Spore) http://news.spong.com/article/10495?cb=717

Busyman™
08-03-2006, 12:52 AM
How can you say "And new controller" so casually? The wiimote is something innovative and will give way to new types of games. You have to actually move around and play, not just sit on your ass which is good for us fat people :).

Edit: Just found a new article that proves Wii's godliness! (It's related to the game Spore) http://news.spong.com/article/10495?cb=717

Uh yeah and I'm not going to want to play games like that all the time.

I thought the Eyetoy and DDR were innovative too. Am I really gonna play Madden by imitating throwing a pass to receiver? I supposed it would be cool the first coupla times then I'm gonna sit on my ass and play the old way. Some games will be cool for that type of play but not ALL of them ALL the time.

Also this controller is not new....it's a Xavix on a Fresh And New system. I tell you what'll be cool. Make a boxing game where I put on boxing gloves and the system can sense my punches, blocks, ducks, and parries.

Again this new controller could've been made for the GC. It's a GC 1.5.

"Hey look at the GC's new controller and downloadable content" (that, btw, is on every emulator made)

Formula1
08-03-2006, 06:22 AM

As far as I'm concerned:

Basically the Wii is nothing more than a smaller box, with internet access, and new controller.

Don't get me wrong. Good games are games but right now I'm stoked about M$'s upcoming games more than the Wii. Even the PS3 is looking good.

The GC was already a waste. My library of bought games was paltry in comparision to even my Xbox. I don't want to reup on a console for $250 (or even $200) based on what the Wii has to offer. Playing a newer fun Mario/Metroid game with a new fangled controller isn't enough.

Yeah, one of the worst buying decisions i've ever made in my life was buying a NGC all because i wanted to try out one game (metroid prime). im sure as hell not buying this new Wii system, even if it has that "awesome" shooting game. Really there's a reason why nintendo has been selling fewer units since super nintendo.
Judging the specs of the nintendo Wii, it shouldn't be too difficult to emulate it on the computer after a year or two, or will it?

Sales of recent nintendo system (courtesy wikipedia.org)

NES: 60 million sold
Snes: 69 million sold
N64: 35 million sold
NGC: 21 million

Xbox: 24 million shipped
PSX:102 million shipped
PS2:106.23 million shipped

Busyman™
08-03-2006, 09:22 AM

As far as I'm concerned:

Yeah, one of the worst buying decisions i've ever made in my life was buying a NGC all because i wanted to try out one game (metroid prime). im sure as hell not buying this new Wii system, even if it has that "awesome" shooting game. Really there's a reason why nintendo has been selling fewer units since super nintendo.
Judging the specs of the nintendo Wii, it shouldn't be too difficult to emulate it on the computer after a year or two, or will it?

Sales of recent nintendo system (courtesy wikipedia.org)

NES: 60 million sold
Snes: 69 million sold
N64: 35 million sold
NGC: 21 million

Xbox: 24 million shipped
PSX:102 million shipped
PS2:106.23 million shipped

Based on the new controller and comparative price point, I think it'll outsell the GC though.

The only reason I have a GC is because it was a present.

suprafreak6
08-03-2006, 03:39 PM
think about it GC had like what 5 good games? This Wii may or maynot be the same, i think its unknown at this point...but it will sell alot more because of its price...that is a fact

Busyman™
08-03-2006, 10:15 PM
think about it GC had like what 5 good games? This Wii may or maynot be the same, i think its unknown at this point...but it will sell alot more because of its price...that is a fact

Fresh and New Syndrome.

What happened with the Xbox/GC/PS2 wars (since I have all 3) was that the only games I bought for the GC were the decent exclusives.

RE4 being the best (at the time, I know it's o PS2 now) and that was rare 3rd party goodness.

If I was a 3rd party developer, I sure as hell wouldn't want to develop exclusively for the Wii.

The user base would be small and to top it off, the system has shit in terms of horsepower (both in comparison to the other consoles).

I know fanboys will latch on to the few good games that will come out and use that as evidence of a good system. For me, a Xbox or PS3 will give me more variety and bang for my buck....even though they cost more.

Mugiwara
08-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Nintendo is known for producing great quality games and having inventive visuals I'm pretty sure that is gonna be the case with the Wii I was just wondering since the disk seem to be compatiable to Dvd-5/-9 could their be a way to atleast duplicate the games even if the software for the system has not been cracked or bypassed? That was the main reason why I did not invest in the gamecube although they had great games like celda and viewtiful joe was I was weary about backing up the 8cm dvd roms you need to have a specific dvd disc in order for it to work sometimes which drove a friends of mine crazy. regardless I want to thank the poster of this post for giving all this ino on the Wii. And also the guy who does the marketing advertising...I believe his name is shamir something did great work on advertising for the ds..and please peeps if I got the name of the guy wrong dont flame me for it. Long live Filesharingtalk.com

Tylerrought
08-13-2006, 03:50 PM
u people complaining about Wii being weak compared to the new consoles dont know what ur talking about at all. the Wii is NOT a next gen console, Nintendo has said this. the Wii shouldnt be compared to the Xbox 360 or PS3 at all because those are both next-gen console... The Wii is a gamecube with bigger disks, a new controller, and a built in emulator.. thats why it has a cheap opening price.. thats why its not as strong as the next gen consoles.

own.T

Busyman™
08-14-2006, 04:39 AM
u people complaining about Wii being weak compared to the new consoles dont know what ur talking about at all. the Wii is NOT a next gen console, Nintendo has said this. the Wii shouldnt be compared to the Xbox 360 or PS3 at all because those are both next-gen console... The Wii is a gamecube with bigger disks, a new controller, and a built in emulator.. thats why it has a cheap opening price.. thats why its not as strong as the next gen consoles.

own.T

No shit. Already been said.

As far as I'm concerned: