PDA

View Full Version : Stargate SG-1 Cancelled by SciFi Channel

{I}{K}{E}
08-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Stargate SG-1, the longest-running science fiction series on American television, has been cancelled.

The Sci Fi Channel, which airs the show in the US, has said it will not broadcast any potential 11th series.

The show, based on the 1994 film Stargate, aired its 200th episode last week. It airs in Sky One in the UK.

"Having achieved so much, Sci Fi believes that the time is right to make this season their last," said a statement from the channel.

However, it also confirmed that it will pick up Stargate SG-1's spinoff series Stargate: Atlantis for a fourth year.

Both programmes have seen large falls in their ratings for their most recent series, but Stargate: Atlantis recorded significantly higher figures.

In all, 215 episodes of Stargate SG-1 were made.

:cry:

Barbarossa
08-29-2006, 08:27 AM
I think it probably had gone as far as it could. 200 episodes on a very simple premise is alot.

cpt_azad
08-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Ya, I enjoyed all the eps of SG-1 (even though I'm really far behind and need to catch up, I've been a fan since day one, since I was a fan of the movie). Good to quit while your ahead, unlike say simpsons.

ANd to be honest, without McGuyver himself in that show well it gets boring fast :P

kimii
08-30-2006, 03:04 AM
Seems like the cut off seasons for most shows are 10. I've heard this show has gone downhill the last few seasons though, so it's inevitable. Going to be a lot of sad fans.

Busyman™
08-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Seems like the cut off seasons for most shows are 10.

Name 5.

10 seasons is very hard to reach for any show.

Busyman™
08-31-2006, 02:35 AM
I think it probably had gone as far as it could. 200 episodes on a very simple premise is alot.

What simple premise.....space travel?

What's a complex one?

SingaBoiy
08-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Seems like the cut off seasons for most shows are 10.

Name 5.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/proutsy/

Just a few on that list :rolleyes:

Wish another network would have stepped up and taken over. But the producers did say that SG1 wouldnt end... with... SG1 :blink:

Busyman™
08-31-2006, 02:54 AM
Name 5.

Wish another network would have stepped up and taken over. But the producers did say that SG1 wouldnt end... with... SG1 :blink:

You had to pull out a list. Also the website redirects so I can't see the list.

Ok correction, most shows don't last 10 seasons anymore.

Seinfeld - 9
Cosby Show - 8
Friends - 10

edit: Well hell I see it now. Ya'll are right to an extent....as long as you leave out the ratio to the shows that don't make it to 10.

SingaBoiy
08-31-2006, 03:03 AM

You had to pull out a list. Also the website redirects so I can't see the list.

Ok correction, most shows don't last 10 seasons anymore.

Seinfeld - 9
Cosby Show - 8
Friends - 10

edit: Well hell I see it now. Ya'll are right to an extent....as long as you leave out the ratio to the shows that don't make it to 10.

Yea, it seems to be pretty hard to make it to season 10. Dramas are the most common to do it.

n18
09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
If anything, I wouldn't mind HBO or Showtime to pick it up for HD goodness :). Supposedly Atlantis has been getting better ratings than SG-1, which suprised me, I thought most people would watch SG-1 more so than Atlantis.

Damnatory
09-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I can't even stress the amount of ranting I want to do over the decision to cancel the show... If they were going to cancel the show, they should have done it at the end of the ghou'ld war, yet since we've had to trudge through endless boring Ja'fa politics, and just as the show begins getting good again with the ascended Ori from another galaxy, they decide to end it...

Anyone know if they even plan to end the season? I've watched this show since episode #1, and I can't imagine them ending without giving at least SOME kind of closure...

Knowing that they're going to cancel, I can't believe they wasted a time slot on that boring ass excuse for a 200th episode.

edit: What the hell do they plan to replace it with? Aside from Atlantis, the only other show with potential is Eureka, and unless it gets a WHOLE lot better, sci-fi better start thinking of making another SG spinoff...

I better quite before I end up with 50 edits to this post......

{I}{K}{E}
09-01-2006, 09:17 PM
They will finish this season.

pECi
09-01-2006, 09:47 PM
well this really sux...i watched the whole show 2 times some episodes more than that and i would hate the show to end like this...they weren't capable to beat the goa'ulds in 9 seasons and they will defeat the ori in just one season :angry:

i agree with Damnatory it should have ended with the defeat of the goa'uld or it should continue

they did exactly the same thing with star trek enterprise...they had a big finish after season 3 could have been perfect for the series finale...and they continue with season 4 which had an abysmal finale...don't get me wrong...i'm not against this shows having another season...i just don't think that the season 10 finale will be that good

...and atlantis is nothing compared to sg-1

{I}{K}{E}
09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
they weren't capable to beat the goa'ulds in 9 seasons and they will defeat the ori in just one season :angry:

I don't think they will defeat them :unsure:

cpt_azad
09-01-2006, 10:57 PM
WTF, if it's cancelled why are they still shooting? I was on my way to and from Burnaby SFU campus and they're shooting in Surrey near the Navy League on 140th street, this makes no sense. If it's cancelled why bother finishing existing episodes?

Busyman™
09-02-2006, 12:42 AM
WTF, if it's cancelled why are they still shooting? I was on my way to and from Burnaby SFU campus and they're shooting in Surrey near the Navy League on 140th street, this makes no sense. If it's cancelled why bother finishing existing episodes?

Uh why not?

cpt_azad
09-02-2006, 01:37 AM

Uh why not?

Because its cancelled maybe? lol, they were shooting episode 19 (I think, there were signs all over the place). That article posted says they only will show like 17 eps from this season.

Busyman™
09-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Uh why not?

Because its cancelled maybe? lol, they were shooting episode 19 (I think, there were signs all over the place). That article posted says they only will show like 17 eps from this season.

Gotcha. If they don't have anything better to replace it, I say let the full 22 episodes roll.

Agrajag
09-02-2006, 07:39 PM
That's bad news, It was one of my favourite sci-fi progs. I thought they had actually done a good job of replacing Jack O'Neill. Never the same without him obviously, but it was still good enough to keep going.

pECi
09-02-2006, 08:13 PM
If it's cancelled why bother finishing existing episodes?

because they have a contract maybe??
because sci-fi paid for this season??

anyway let's hope scifi changes it's mind or they find another buyer for the show in time coz i don't want it to end

Agrajag
09-02-2006, 08:20 PM

anyway let's hope scifi changes it's mind or they find another buyer for the show in time coz i don't want it to end
I agree.

Busyman™
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM

Remember it didn't start off on Sci-Fi Channel in the first place.

It was part of Showtime's Sci-Friday lineup (for 5 years) along with Total Recall 2070 and (I think) Outer Limits.

Someone else could pick it up.....maybe USA, a major network, or fledgling Spike TV.:smilie4:

Stargate SG-1 is the longest running Sci-Fi show in US history.

On another note, I really have taken a liking to Atlantis. The Wraith are a great enemy (in design and function).

alexkgb
09-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I watched all SG-1 episodes and now I switched for SG Atlantis.
I still have to see Seasons II and III and I love it. :P

It's far better than just replacement for SG-1

Damnatory
10-04-2006, 06:41 AM
To top off the pain of cancelling the show, it looks like they are not going to air the last half of the season. The seasons have been cut in the middle for tha last few years and pick up early in the next year to make space for other show lineups in the winter.

From the looks of it Stargate Atlantis (http://www.tv.com/stargate-atlantis/show/11415/episode_listings.html?season=3&tag=nav_bar;3) is set to pick up the rest of the season from episode 11, on March 3rd 2007, where as Stargate SG-1 (http://www.tv.com/stargate-sg-1/show/185/episode_listings.html?season=10&tag=nav_bar;10) has no air date to pick up the season.

So I guess we're all screwed til the 10th season hits DVD....

n18
10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
More likely until it airs in Britain or Canada as they show the show too, plus in HD :)

Busyman™
10-04-2006, 09:55 PM
More likely until it airs in Britain or Canada as they show the show too, plus in HD :)

They show it in HD? Sweet.

scarecrow
07-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Ya, I enjoyed all the eps of SG-1 (even though I'm really far behind and need to catch up, I've been a fan since day one, since I was a fan of the movie). Good to quit while your ahead, unlike say simpsons.

ANd to be honest, without McGuyver himself in that show well it gets boring fast :P

yep same here. and yes ITA, without RDA the show just isn't the same.
10 seasons is good for a show like this, although i would have liked more.

apextwin146
07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Y reply to a 2 year old thread ?