PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King

Curley
05-06-2003, 05:26 PM
My best Stephen King book has to be The Stand. I read that in about 2 weeks even though it has over 1440 pages.

Whats yours?

Skillian
05-06-2003, 05:47 PM
I like pretty much every Stephen King book I've evr read, but The Shining is my all time top book, read it about three times now. I also really enjoyed Hearts In Atlantis.

Two of my favourites were written by Stephen King writing under the name Richard Bachman: The Running Man (nothing like the movie), and particularly The Long Walk.

MagicNakor
05-06-2003, 09:33 PM
I dislike Stephen King. ;)

:ninja:

Curley
05-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Quite a few people do, they find it hard to get into his books.

What don't you like about him?

MagicNakor
05-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Well, he hasn't come up with anything "new" for years now. His pacing always seems just slightly off to me. The Shining was an alright book, I suppose. The others just bore me. But I haven't picked up a Stephen King novel for a few years now, he may have changed his style (although I doubt it, why fix what isn't broken?).

Jibbler
05-07-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@6 May 2003 - 18:18
Well, he hasn't come up with anything "new" for years now.
Well, he's been doing it for 35 years, wouldn't you be hard pressed to keep coming up with new ideas? :huh:

MagicNakor
05-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Not particularly. But I wouldn't have ever thought up "The Plant." :D

Jibbler
05-07-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@7 May 2003 - 00:47
Not particularly. But I wouldn't have ever thought up "The Plant." :D

The beauty of the Plant was the new approach to selling books in online only format. Its more like a story within a story. I'm just saying, its hard to continue to create new work. Anyone can come up with ideas. Taking an idea to press, that's a rarity. Quality stories don't write themselves. :huh:

MagicNakor
05-07-2003, 05:18 AM
That's a different angle of it, though. From a storytelling perspective, I don't feel that it was very good. Rather on par with a late-night sci-fi B movie.

More and more people are getting published nowadays because of the vanity press companies that are starting up. They probably shouldn't. It's some of the worst tripe I've seen. ;)

brotherdoobie
05-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Curley the Stand is my second favorite King book........My first is It.
I loved that book!

I also enjoyed Pet Cementary alot.

Peace brotherdoobie

soopaman
05-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Running Man, written as Richard Bachman. Class plot and good countdown/chapter device.

Not a big fan though!

sim one
05-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Two of my favourites were written by Stephen King writing under the name Richard Bachman: The Running Man (nothing like the movie), and particularly The Long Walk

The Running Man book is much better than the movie.

My personal fav is The Tommyknockers.

{I}{K}{E}
05-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Rose Red !!

RPerry
05-07-2003, 12:56 PM
"The Green Mile" although I could be biased because I liked the movie....

ShareDaddy
05-07-2003, 02:36 PM
IT was it for me, The Stand would be second and continue from there. I am a huge SK fan, however I have learned that there are better, Robert R, McCammon (The Wolf's Hour, Swan Song and Stinger come to mind), and Brian Lumley (Necroscope Series) both have surpassed SK in my book.

bohemianrhapsody
05-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Hands down, The Stand. It is still relevant today, and snippets from the book often jump into my mind as I watch the news. I liked the Dead Zone, and still remember one character who stood at the sink, and thought about putting his hand in the garbage disposal. I think his (King's) gift is to make the "everyday" seem scary. He may not have "new" ideas, but he sure can put a twist on old ideas.

I also like the Dark Tower series, and am still waiting for the next installment. Not sure I understood the whole thing, but I enjoyed reading it. Loved the Green Mile, and a mini-series based on one of his books--can't remember which one--that had "Golden" in the title or the theme. Does anyone remember the name of the series? It had two older characters as the leads, and I think the husband started to get younger.

I also read all the other King books mentioned.

This post seems to be in the wrong format, sorry if it is, first time I have posted. :unsure:

Curley
05-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Glad to see so many of you like Stephen King. I'm a big fan of his, but I must admit theres a few of his books I can't get into.. like Danse Macarbre. Another one of my favourites is Green Mile (someone also mentioned it above). The book is a lot better than the film, but then again, most of them are.

2 other books which I havn't read for a few years are Christine & Pet Cemetry, I must dig them out :)

ShareDaddy
05-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by bohemianrhapsody@7 May 2003 - 13:39
Hands down, The Stand. It is still relevant today, and snippets from the book often jump into my mind as I watch the news. I liked the Dead Zone, and still remember one character who stood at the sink, and thought about putting his hand in the garbage disposal. I think his (King's) gift is to make the "everyday" seem scary. He may not have "new" ideas, but he sure can put a twist on old ideas.

I also like the Dark Tower series, and am still waiting for the next installment. Not sure I understood the whole thing, but I enjoyed reading it. Loved the Green Mile, and a mini-series based on one of his books--can't remember which one--that had "Golden" in the title or the theme. Does anyone remember the name of the series? It had two older characters as the leads, and I think the husband started to get younger.

I also read all the other King books mentioned.

This post seems to be in the wrong format, sorry if it is, first time I have posted. :unsure:
I totally forgot about the Dark Tower series, darnit, those would have to be my favorite books of all times. I probably forgot them on purpose because of the pain and anguish I felt awaiting the next installment. If it had not been for SK being hit by the van he would have had several more out by now. I watched an interview with SK and his wife where he plainly stated the accident has pretty much left the Tower series on hold, possibly for good :( . I however have actually though about re-reading them to capture the spirit once again, in hopes that that a new tower novel is released. We can only hope I guess.

Skweeky
05-08-2003, 06:30 PM
My favourite is 'The shining', no doubt, and also that book about these kids that find a corps in the woods (can't remember the title right now)

But I don't like Stephen King that much either, I must agree that his work isn't really original. They're all variations on the same theme (is that even an english expression? :huh: )

Curley
05-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ShareDaddy@7 May 2003 - 20:41
I however have actually though about re-reading them to capture the spirit once again, in hopes that that a new tower novel is released. We can only hope I guess.
Theres still 2 more Dark Tower books to come. One will be out in spring 2004, the other autumn 2004. After that, i've read he'll be releasing the whole lot in one large volume.

Curley
05-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@8 May 2003 - 19:30
My favourite is 'The shining', no doubt, and also that book about these kids that find a corps in the woods (can't remember the title right now)

Its called "The Body" which was made into a film and re-named to "Stand By Me". Good film that, I wouldn't mind watching it again.

merlin-1
05-08-2003, 11:55 PM
My Stephen King favorites are:

1.The Stand
2.Needful Things
3.Creepshow
4.Christine
5.The Langoliers
6.Pet Cemetary
7.The Tommyknockers
8.The Green Mile

Jibbler
05-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ShareDaddy@7 May 2003 - 15:41
If it had not been for SK being hit by the van he would have had several more out by now. I watched an interview with SK and his wife where he plainly stated the accident has pretty much left the Tower series on hold, possibly for good :( .
Old news. Official dates have been released for Dark Tower books 5, 6, and 7. Check it out on his website here. (http://www.stephenking.com/future.html#dt7) The next installment is due in November. B)

stoi
05-09-2003, 02:50 AM
The gunslinger has to be the best King series/book to date, but i have to say his early work was the best, The Stand, The shining, Carrie, IT and early as in 10 years ago, his new books are neither here nor there, they are not scary, or full of suspense they are just, well a waste of time. Rose red, dolores claiborn and The girl that loved tom gordon just were not king at his very best. Maybe he done like Magicnakor suggested and changed his style, but to me its a turn for the worst.

so favourite King books (in no particular order)

IT
The Stand
Gunslinger series
The Talisman with Peter Straub (a great book)
Needful Things
Pet Semetary
The Shining
Christine
Carrie
The TommyKnockers
The Langoliers
The Shawshank Redemption
The Mist
The Body
The Raft i think its called but that might be connected to the mist been awhile since i read that.
The Dark Half.

Added after jibblers comment below: I have been reading King for almost 20 of those 30 years he has been writing, i would have done it for 30 years if i wasnt only 31 myself. If you read his books in the order he wrote them, then bits of one story will happen in another and as its Mostly set in Main they Intermingle with each other, eg Dreamcatcher they drive through Derry and he Mentions the Water Tower from IT, Dolores Claiborn There is an eclipse and in Geralds Game its the same eclipse, Not going to give to much away here or try not to but The Stand and The gunslinger Series are Seriously Entwined together. And there are probably a lot more instances in his numerous other books where things happen and you cant help but thinking "Bloody hell someone in such and such a place is being murdered now in such and such a book", I like the way he done that but the only way to properly see it is to read his books in the order they were writen.

anyway he used to be a great writer, not sure if its just because i have grown up a bit or his writing has become worse but i dont enjoy his new stuff but then again thats only my personal oppinion.

Jibbler
05-09-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by stoi@8 May 2003 - 22:50
Maybe he done like Magicnakor suggested and changed his style, but to me its a turn for the worst.

I don't want to beat this to death, but he's been writing for 30 years. Its not a new style, he's has just matured. Do you think you'll approach your job the same way after doing it for 30 years? I understand Mr. King is nearly blind, and he had extreme difficulty recovering from the accident.

imported_QuietSilence!
05-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Id have to sat the green mile
but i dont realy like king too well or any horror for that matter

MagicNakor
05-09-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by stoi@9 May 2003 - 03:50
Maybe he done like Magicnakor suggested and changed his style, but to me its a turn for the worst.

That was just speculation, really. I seriously doubt he has, because he's still raking money in hand over fist. As I said after that comment, "Why fix what ain't broke?"

ToraBoraDweller
05-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Only 2 books (short stories not considered now) qualify imo as ok
The Shining (even better than the movie)
RoseRed

I think most of his books start out very good but halfway the story becomes really
crazy and unbeleavable ,real shame because he CAN do better! B)

ToraBoraDweller
05-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Only 2 books (short stories not considered now) qualify imo as ok
The Shining (even better than the movie)
RoseRed

I think most of his books start out very good but halfway the story becomes really
crazy and unbeleavable ,real shame because he CAN do better! B)

Grim
05-10-2003, 11:02 AM
I have read most & liked all those i've read. Can hardly wait for the other Dark Tower books to come oot.
The best i've read has got to be Sven Hassel, i read all 13. That was 18 year ago so one day soon i think i'll start again, same as some of Stephen's early books.

tracydani
05-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@6 May 2003 - 18:47

Two of my favourites were written by Stephen King writing under the name Richard Bachman: The Running Man (nothing like the movie), and particularly The Long Walk.
I have to go with The Stand for full books and I second both choices below for short stories. I always recomend theses three to people who may think they wouldn't like SK :)

I am always really tired after reading the long walk too. The story really gets me.

P.S. This Bookworld was a nice thing to come back to. What a way to end a vacation :D

hobbes
05-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor+9 May 2003 - 06:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 9 May 2003 - 06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--stoi@9 May 2003 - 03:50

That was just speculation, really. I seriously doubt he has, because he&#39;s still raking money in hand over fist. As I said after that comment, "Why fix what ain&#39;t broke?"

:ninja:[/b][/quote]
Part 1:

I think, at this point, Steve is not writing for the Benjamins. Not hacking them out for spending money. I think ideas well up inside of his mind spontaneously and this is how he decompresses himself. He acts a transcriptionist for the bard of story.

I don&#39;t mean to discredit the effort he must put forth to write the book, but rather to say that he has access to a "source" which most of us can never tap.

Hardwork and practice can only get you so far and this is what separates the virtuoso from the hack (Dean Koontz).

hobbes
05-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Part 2:

I understand how people can get frustrated in reading King, as I have noticed one irritating tendency.

It is his pattern of teasing us in, then backing up to introduce all the characters. He never describes the character, but rather relays a story about him from which we can get to know "what he is about". The classic case of this was "IT", 5 main characters, each with about 100+ pages of getting to know that character and his relationship to the story which is about to unfold. So 600 pages in, the story begins.

This is a tendancy, but not the rule. But I have thought to myself, here we go again, lets meet the cast.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-10-2003, 09:28 PM
;) Needfull Things.

hobbes
05-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@8 May 2003 - 19:30
My favourite is &#39;The shining&#39;, no doubt, and also that book about these kids that find a corps in the woods (can&#39;t remember the title right now)

But I don&#39;t like Stephen King that much either, I must agree that his work isn&#39;t really original. They&#39;re all variations on the same theme (is that even an english expression? :huh: )
Part 3:

How he can be considered unoriginal is lost on me. If you see a theme, tell me what it is.

His theme really is that he touches us where we are human, he varies genres (horror, sci-fi, adventure, drama) as the mood strikes him.

King really knows how to make you feel comfortable with him as his stories often give very personal information about him. He will talk about intimate things that he could never learn from research in the library, but only from personal experience. It is a general understanding that everyone masturbates, but no one talks about it, personally ( How many people have started a conversation with, "Anyway, I was masturbating at my computer last night, when this terrible noise came from outside....). He does, and this gloves off approach makes the experience intimate.

We all know his core:

Salems Lot (Jerusalems Lot)
Carrie, Cujo, Christine ( the "pop" years)
The Shining
Pet Sematary

And his Sci-Fi side:

I hate sci-fi- never picked one up

But he has written books which make people say, "King wrote that, I never would have guessed".

The body (Stand by me)- This is just about curiosity and adventure
The Shawshank Redemption- A male bonding movie, best ever.

I think there are many King books that people never pick up because he has been stereotyped as a horror guy. He is more about the story, than the genre.

Geralds Game is a rather unique start to a book. Man handcuffs his naked wife to bedpost in their secluded summer home as part of a sex game, then falls over dead of a heart attack. Ok, your naked, handuffed and isolated. Oh, by the way, he left the backdoor open, too. Anyway....Action.

Needful Things has a very clever mechanism for developing the story. It is a story about good and evil, but the way in which the finally conflict blossoms is much more interesting.

Anyway, I am having trouble finding the right words to describe King so I will sign off with this. King is a great storyteller who makes the reading experience personal. He uses multiple genres to discuss topics dear to him, that being the central emotions that connect us all and make us human. The story itself is just a vehicle he uses to address them.

RedRival
05-11-2003, 07:55 AM
The Shining and the 2 carrie books.
I read the Green Mile and thought i was bit lengthy but the movie was alright.
I liked the compilation of stories, bah I borrowed the book but I forgotten the name...it was a new publication though.

Now that you guys mention Stephen King, I was wondering...
I remember watching a show on TV, I think it was The Stand but not absolutely sure. There were this weird eaters or something that are devouring the Earth&#39;s surface but eating off the land etc...

I think it&#39;s a Stephen King story...not sure. The last episode had this guys escaping on a aeroplane when the airport and runway was being eaten off. Okay this sounds corny and I&#39;m not absolutely sure whether it is a Stephen King production in the first place.

Watched The Shining too which seems a lot creepier than reading...

Grim
05-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Answer to RedRival
It was called "The Langoliers"
Read that book so long ago i forget how long. As always, the books are always better than the films.

P.S
Stephen played a very very weenie part in this film. At the airport when that carckerjack was having his halucinations, Stehpen was sat at the big dining table, did anybody else notice this?

RedRival
05-11-2003, 11:58 AM
no, I hardly remember the film. I was about 11-12 years old then. :lol:
But the throught of the world being consumed kinda of struck me a little and left me an impression.

Grim
05-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by RedRival@11 May 2003 - 12:58
no, I hardly remember the film. I was about 11-12 years old then. :lol:
But the throught of the world being consumed kinda of struck me a little and left me an impression.
So your are aboot 18 now. The film was made in 95 & the book was written in 1990. It was a short story in "Four Past Midnight". I must have read that when it first came oot. I started reading when my wife left me in 85, it was the only way to get her from my mind (woe was me :lol: ), i was so much in love with her.