PDA

View Full Version : Legality in Canada

victord66
09-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I am under the impression that sharing files in Canada is perfectly legal due to the results of a court case a few years ago. Can anyone here confirm or comment on this? Thanks.

gustafo
09-06-2006, 06:51 PM
sharing of the files is absolutely legal, but another question is, what type of files are you sharing :)

victord66
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks, but I don't see why the type of file could be important. Would the content of the file be of concern?

gustafo
09-06-2006, 09:06 PM
if you see "copyright" word (or that "C") anywhere on the product (or in the programme)... well, you know what i mean :D

Melvinmeow
09-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Its legal in canada pretty much no matter what your sharing.
I know lots of people who only had their isps terminate their service.
Some didnt even get that much.
They have filed 0 lawsuits on anyone I know that has been caught from Canada.

They have too many issues with their legal system to give a donkeys ball so to say about people downloading files.

peat moss
09-07-2006, 05:23 AM
To give you an example , I switched ISPs and was sent a e-mail on how to safely share files . It gave a tutorial on how to config. shared folders ,what to watch for if your a sever and the like . Pretty much what I knew but thought wow thats service . :lol:

I should say there were links on how to use Emule , Ares , Limewire and a few others I can't remember . ;)

Here's a link so you know I'm not blowing smoke up your ass .

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Sharing/default.htm

MagicNakor
09-07-2006, 02:09 PM
It's legal due to our levy on blank media. ;)

:shuriken:

FreeDoom
09-11-2006, 09:43 PM
What about burning cd's or dvd's to your friends? it's ok too?
Another thing: what about selling some cd's or dvd's? i think that's not ok anymore because you would be making profit...am i right?