PDA

View Full Version : Creating a own file sharing / uploading site..

mediamaxz.com
09-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I am planning to create my own file sharing site like www.rapidshare.de
If I want to offer unlimited space for premium member, what kind of server do I need to get? Do I need like whole bunch of dedicated server or just one giganic server..? what else do I need and How much will it cost? Please let me know if any of you guys have previous experience..

thanks

LegendaryU2K
09-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I wouldnt know anything about that i think, but for my secondary upload center on my site, i am planning to use this:

http://www.sharing-file.com/index.htm

Its nice and cozy and the layout is awesome with different skins.

mediamaxz.com
09-16-2006, 11:28 PM
but I am trying to run a membership site.. What if I have like over 1000+ member.. wouldn't it be too slow to download since my broadband connection max at 70kb/sec+ on upload?

Tempestv
09-16-2006, 11:32 PM
if you have 1000+ members you should have the money to upgrade your connection

Broken
09-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Yea, you have no where near the bandwith to support a site like that.

Not even worrying about the hardware you'd need, because you have to use an offsite hosting meaning they would probably provide the server - you'd be looking at the lower side of a few hundred dollars a month for something on a moderate scale.

mediamaxz.com
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
nah.. I had choice between opening up cingular store VS this now I have about $200k saving + investment.. so If it's in that range I am ready.

dodgy368
09-30-2006, 04:36 PM
nah.. I had choice between opening up cingular store VS this now I have about $200k saving + investment.. so If it's in that range I am ready.

Erm, go for it then.:ermm: