PDA

View Full Version : BioShock Preview (PC)

mr. nails
09-21-2006, 06:04 PM
this game looks outstanding! i'm sorry, but if this doesn't look good u mite wanna question ur manhood!

Preview (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/707/707640/vid_1677425.html)

david02
09-21-2006, 07:26 PM
It sure looks great

I have allways been a fan of irrational games

but unfortunatly my system is very old (AMD 850 mhz) so I cannot play most modern games but luckily I can still play system shock 2

backlash
09-21-2006, 08:31 PM
that certainly looks like a lot of fun. They want to "redefine what it means to be be a first person shooter." The way this game is designed definitely makes it much different than the usual deathmeatch type games out there.

thanks for sharing the link

Workcheese
09-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Nice in-game footage, looks like it could be a good game. The system requirements for that game are going to be obscene.

Skillian
09-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Cheers for the link, enjoyed that.

Any ideas on release date for this - that video got me pretty excited.

cpt_azad
09-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Sweet I have my 360 to back me up :D

Did anyone see the water effects, holy shit it looks real. The end where he's trapped w/ those things on the ceiling, man oh man looks intense can't wait.

Seedler
09-24-2006, 04:45 AM
:drool:

Indeed a sweet game.

Skiz
10-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Wow, looks great. But I must say, I hate games where I'm starving for ammo.

"Marine, we need you to head to the depths of the compound to rescue a scientist that is being held hostage by Satan and his manyfold minions. Here's your pistol and eight rounds of ammunition. Good luck."

What law says I have to start out the game with none of the fun shit promised on the box art? In FPS games built entirely on the anticipation of using gigantic, bad-ass weapons, why not start me out with a damned machine gun and 200 rounds of ammo and go up from there? :frusty:

Oh well, any release date set?

Busyman™
10-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Wow, looks great. But I must say, I hate games where I'm starving for ammo.

"Marine, we need you to head to the depths of the compound to rescue a scientist that is being held hostage by Satan and his manyfold minions. Here's your pistol and eight rounds of ammunition. Good luck."

What law says I have to start out the game with none of the fun shit promised on the box art? In FPS games built entirely on the anticipation of using gigantic, bad-ass weapons, why not start me out with a damned machine gun and 200 rounds of ammo and go up from there? :frusty:

Cos that would be typical, ya think?

Looking at that game, it is anything but typical.

MCHeshPants420
10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Most of the time the lack of ammo at the start of the game is explained by the storyline. Far Cry, Half Life 1 & 2, Doom all explain the lack of ammo at the beginning.

Bioshock does as well it seems: "The game starts with the player underwater following a plane crash in the ocean, surrounded by debris."

Ammo starving can make for a better game imo, more tense. Imagine how unscary Resident Evil and its sequels would have been if there was ammo lying about all over the place and you started with the BFG. Bioshock looks like you have to make lots of choices about what to do with regards to ammo and the like, do you wade through your enemies wasting precious ammo and equipment or use a more sneaky conserving approach.

MCHeshPants420
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Though, on a slightly related noted, I hate games that have battery operated torches that only stay lit for a few minutes before needing to be recharged. I have a torch and it stays lit for fucking hours. These marines need to get themselves some better batteries...

MCHeshPants420
10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
And crates. I fucking hate crates.

Skiz
10-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Cos that would be typical, ya think?

Looking at that game, it is anything but typical.

The host in the beginning even states that the hero will be ammo deprived.

Most of the time the lack of ammo at the start of the game is explained by the storyline. Far Cry, Half Life 1 & 2, Doom all explain the lack of ammo at the beginning.

Bioshock does as well it seems: "The game starts with the player underwater following a plane crash in the ocean, surrounded by debris."

Ammo starving can make for a better game imo, more tense. Imagine how unscary Resident Evil and its sequels would have been if there was ammo lying about all over the place and you started with the BFG. Bioshock looks like you have to make lots of choices about what to do with regards to ammo and the like, do you wade through your enemies wasting precious ammo and equipment or use a more sneaky conserving approach.

I understand that and all, I just don't like it. :lookaroun

Speaking of Resident Evil, that was the worst part about the game imo, was the lack of ammo. I can't name how many times I died in the same spot because I had no ammo. Trying to punch like 3 zombies coming right at me. That's why I never even bothered to play it again after part 2. Silent Hill was guilty of this crime as well and again, I never played any of the sequels.

I will however give Bioshock a try, it looks far too tempting.

I'm mostly excited about the dynamics of this game. I like how the host says the the "Daddies" just roam around randomly with no set path, and that they always do something different from the time before. Games are actually beginning to have some actually AI. Crysis is good about this too. I'm excited about its release as well.

Busyman™
10-02-2006, 01:21 AM
The host in the beginning even states that the hero will be ammo deprived.

Yeah and?

I understand that and all, I just don't like it. :lookaroun

Speaking of Resident Evil, that was the worst part about the game imo, was the lack of ammo. I can't name how many times I died in the same spot because I had no ammo. Trying to punch like 3 zombies coming right at me. That's why I never even bothered to play it again after part 2. Silent Hill was guilty of this crime as well and again, I never played any of the sequels.

I will however give Bioshock a try, it looks far too tempting.

I'm mostly excited about the dynamics of this game. I like how the host says the the "Daddies" just roam around randomly with no set path, and that they always do something different from the time before. Games are actually beginning to have some actually AI. Crysis is good about this too. I'm excited about its release as well.

Some games require a little more skill besides simply mowing down the opposition with limitless firepower.

If you try some other means of getting through levels like evasion and other smarts you might find some games more enjoyable and hell even....beat the game.

I've beaten all the main RE games besides RE 0 (I just never got around to it).
I actually have a habit of overconservation. If I get a powerful weapon, I tend not to use cos I always think I'll need it later and won't get more ammo for it. I did that a whole lot with RE 4. I NEVER used the machine gun.:sad1:

mr. nails
10-02-2006, 01:54 AM
If I get a powerful weapon, I tend not to use cos I always think I'll need it later and won't get more ammo for it.

lol, i do the exactly the same thing. i save all the "more powerful" weapons for the end and then i usually miss out on what the weapon had to offer.

Seedler
10-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Looks shit.

A HL2 wannabie.

Skiz
10-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Some games require a little more skill besides simply mowing down the opposition with limitless firepower.

If you try some other means of getting through levels like evasion and other smarts you might find some games more enjoyable and hell even....beat the game.

I actually have a habit of overconservation. If I get a powerful weapon, I tend not to use cos I always think I'll need it later and won't get more ammo for it. I did that a whole lot with RE 4. I NEVER used the machine gun.:sad1:

I just said it's not my kind of game, that's all. :ermm:

MCHeshPants420
10-02-2006, 07:32 AM
:drool:

Indeed a sweet game.

Looks shit.

A HL2 wannabie.

Yeah, you're just spamming up the place not even remembering what you have already posted. Twat.

Skiz
10-02-2006, 08:11 AM
:pinch:

Busyman
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM

True. Your type of game is long dead....well there is Doom.

Skiz
10-02-2006, 12:24 PM

On the contrary. The no ammo games are out, imo.

The most popular style of game right now is war games. All the ammo you can possibly shoot. :01:

Busyman
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

On the contrary. The no ammo games are out, imo.

The most popular style of game right now is war games. All the ammo you can possibly shoot. :01:

Ahhh...mmmk.

Seedler
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Looks shit.

A HL2 wannabie.

Yeah, you're just spamming up the place not even remembering what you have already posted. Twat.

First quote was for the graphics, but later when I actually watched the whole trailer I thought the gameplay was trying to copy HL2 and fails miserably.

MCHeshPants420
10-03-2006, 01:24 AM

First quote was for the graphics, but later when I actually watched the whole trailer I thought the gameplay was trying to copy HL2 and fails miserably.

Ahhh...mmmk.

Busyman™
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
It's funny that the first link in this thread is showing the game for the Xbox 360.:lol:

Now here's another demo with PC footage.

56dHJX29M_Y

HD link (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17457&type=wmv&pl=game)

At the end imagine the character is saying, "I got you now ya little bitch".

Busyman™
06-21-2007, 01:57 AM
A buncha new footage.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2610.html

I had RE4 as my 2005 Game Of The Year and Bioshock looks to be my 2007 GOTY.

Cheese
06-21-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm looking forward to this one as well. To my eternal shame I have yet to play System Shock.

I thought the gameplay was trying to copy HL2 and fails miserably.

I had to quote this again as it is so fucking stupid . . .

Shiranai_Baka
06-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I tested the 360 version and I can tell ya that the game certainly has come a long way (positively speaking).

Elvenmunky
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
is it gonna be better on the 360 or PC?

A buncha new footage.

Yeh RE4 was awesome, completed it like 50 times, deffo my GOTY '05 however RE5 looks to be my '07 one...or Crysis!

Cheese
06-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Hard to say, it'll look better on a decent PC as it will use DX10 and it's an FPS game so it'll be easier to play on a PC. Also it will be more customizable with the ability to mod PC games (very important in sandbox-type games like these).

Busyman™
06-25-2007, 02:46 PM

A buncha new footage.

Yeh RE4 was awesome, completed it like 50 times, deffo my GOTY '05 however RE5 looks to be my '07 one...or Crysis!

RE5 comes out this year?

How could I forget Crysis?

Ok now I have candidates:

Crysis
RE5
Bioshock

I think Mass Effect will be great but :idunno: about GOTY.

Oh and I think it'll be better on PC.

Can someone tell me if there's a controller like an analog stick on the Wii but made for PC that will will still allow mouse look?

Elvenmunky
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
kool good to know, thanx cheese!

Cheese
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Can someone tell me if there's a controller like an analog stick on the Wii but made for PC that will will still allow mouse look?

I can't say I've ever seen one.

I use a Z-Board for games:

http://www.hqhardware.net/images/stories/jreviews/Zboard%20Gaming%20Keyboard-1.jpg

Busyman™
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM

I can't say I've ever seen one.

I use a Z-Board for games:

http://www.hqhardware.net/images/stories/jreviews/Zboard%20Gaming%20Keyboard-1.jpg

Yeah see I hate using buttons for movement.

Here's another Bioshock trailer.

http://gametrailer.com/player/21276.html?type=flv

Cheese
07-28-2007, 10:23 AM
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/805/805958p1.html :happy:

Skiz
07-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Sounds superb. I am sooo looking forward to this. :happy:

Busyman™
07-29-2007, 07:06 AM

Sounds superb. I am sooo looking forward to this. :happy:

Really? I thought the link was a waste of a read. I had no doubt that Bioshock would not be some weird console port.

I mean I like the customization of the PC and think when console ports go over that they should include that.

However, ehhhh....so what?

I also think moving on a keyboard really, really sucks. Mouse look is great. Keyboard move is horrible.

I think the Wii's control scheme better than any other....so far.

I'd prefer nixing the Wiimote for mouse look and have a mouse.

I like an analog control pad for movement.

Skiz
07-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, for FPS games, I love the keyboard mostly.

I have played the Call of Duty games for ages and love the setup. Tho' it definitely takes some getting used to and I can understand why some don't like it.

Cheese
07-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Double post.

Cheese
07-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Triple post.

Cheese
07-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I didn't expect Bioshock to be dumbed down too much for console users but it's nice to have confirmation. I have bead memories of games like Deus Ex 2 and even PC Oblivion suffered in some respects due to being developed alongside its lesser console version.

Busyman™
07-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, for FPS games, I love the keyboard mostly.

I have played the Call of Duty games for ages and love the setup. Tho' it definitely takes some getting used to and I can understand why some don't like it.

Yeah I got used to it; been using it for forever. Ultimately, moving with buttons as supposed to an analog stick, sucks.

I don't understand why someone hasn't made this yet (analog + mouse).

It would have to be specially made for one hand. I dunno if an existing gamepad with analog stick can be used with a mouse but gamepads usually require 2 hands to be comfortable.

I didn't expect Bioshock to be dumbed down too much for console users but it's nice to have confirmation. I have bead memories of games like Deus Ex 2 and even PC Oblivion suffered in some respects due to being developed alongside its lesser console version.

Then I guess it wasn't a bad read then. I didn't know Oblivion was a little messed up for the PC.

Cheese
07-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I didn't know Oblivion was a little messed up for the PC.

One holdover from the simultaneous console/PC development was the menus were hideous (without the BTMod), big huge icons meaning you could only see about six items in your inventory at the same time and a clunky interface which probably worked for a gamepad but was annoying with a mouse.

Busyman™
07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
I didn't know Oblivion was a little messed up for the PC.

One holdover from the simultaneous console/PC development was the menus were hideous (without the BTMod), big huge icons meaning you could only see about six items in your inventory at the same time and a clunky interface which probably worked for a gamepad but was annoying with a mouse.

What sux is that those would've involved very simple fixes.:ermm:

It does seem like Bioshock was develeped for the 360 first due to the screens I've seen with 360 icons on it.

I wonder if there'll be Bioshock mods on the PC?:w00t:

Smith
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
This game looks cool, but its far to fucked up for my tastes.

SirGray
08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Ahhh I won't be able to play on my computer, its gotten to outdated, now im sad, Bioshock looks so awesome!

Cheese
08-09-2007, 08:24 AM
First reviews are starting to come out.

PC Gamer UK
A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]

Official Xbox Magazine UK
Amazingly written and beautifully constructed, it's a complete emotional rollercoaster which we can't drawn any parallels with...You'll be playing this game for months to come, exchanging story elements to build up the bigger picture, and arguing about what it all means. [Sept 2007, p.88]

Busyman™
08-13-2007, 03:50 AM
The Bioshock is up XBL

however right now XBL is down because of everyone trying to dl it.:ph34r:

Server overload FTL!

Busyman™
08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I got the demo last about midnight.

The download was slow as sheeeeiiitt!

Busyman™
08-14-2007, 01:17 AM
The geeme is fooking greete!

It's spooky as fuck.

It's playing that old 40's music.

Remember shock then bop (over the head).

When hacking security bots, uncover many tiles (or even all of them), look for what you need, swap, then move to where you wanna put it, swap again.

I deliberately made many of them come out so I could have a team of bots on my side when the barrage of splicers came out.

Search for everything.

Because looks so good and different, I found myself just looking around at shit.

2007 GOTY, so far and I've only played a fucking demo.:noes:

audi25
08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Been waiting for this one, Now if AMD would just release their new processors I could begin to build my new comp. :frusty:

MCHeshPants420
08-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Looks like it has hit the streets (at least the 360 version): http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/15/some-toys-r-us-stores-selling-bioshock-early/

I see it is already available via newsgroup/bittorrent as well.

colt45joe
08-16-2007, 03:26 AM
yea..but then they stopped selling it early: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161991

tacoflavakiss
08-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Toys 'R Us legitametly sold the copies to boost the hype.

Skiz
08-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Scenetorrents has the demo if you don't feel like waiting around with slow speeds elsewhere.

Currently downloading at 822kB/s. :happy:

As opposed to the 4kB/s for public sites. :lol:

Busyman
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
PC version is $40
360 version is $50

at Circuit City

Skiz
08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Just played the demo through twice. :w00t:

The game will definitely live up to its hype, provided its not too short. Doesn't seem like it will be though.

The narrator in the demo is pretty hard to hear, so I took it slow the second time through and learned a lot from from him.

I played it through twice though to check out the replay value. The trailers really built it up to be a different game every time you play it, and it is I guess, but you still have all the same objectives, etc.

Busyman
08-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Just played the demo through twice. :w00t:

The game will definitely live up to its hype, provided its not too short. Doesn't seem like it will be though.

The narrator in the demo is pretty hard to hear, so I took it slow the second time through and learned a lot from from him.

I played it through twice though to check out the replay value. The trailers really built it up to be a different game every time you play it, and it is I guess, but you still have all the same objectives, etc.

Man you may as well had unspoilered what you said.

You gave away nothing.

Here are some real spoilers DO NOT LOOK

1.When you corner a little sister you have the option of harvesting her for her Adam in which case you find out she has a Go'ald serpent inside her or saving her in which case she turns back into a normal girl and you still get half of the Adam.

There is a lady that gives you something to save them. She also protects them (Dr. Tenenbaum). You can fight her.

iQSXkGQhLdI

2. You (can) fight the narrator (Atlas).

3. You can become a Big Daddy. My guess is it has something to do with the choices you make regarding little sisters.

4. You can invent items.

5. You can not only hack security bots but also turrets, vending machines, security cameras, and safes.

6. You fight Andrew Ryan.

Skiz
08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I didn't think so either, but I remember a while ago some people being pretty picky....whatever...

I can't wait to start playing the whole thing. It's going to be detrimental to my sleep cycle. :cry:

Busyman
08-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I didn't think so either, but I remember a while ago some people being pretty picky....whatever...

I can't wait to start playing the whole thing. It's going to be detrimental to my sleep cycle. :cry:

Yeah me too. I love to just conquer a game quickly but this one looks so great and has such a great atmosphere that I'm liable to fuck around a lot and tread slowly.

Cheese
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
So much for downloading this demo with Bittorrent. :dry:

10 mins off Newsgroups :happy:

I'm going to purchase this game twice now as my brother is in need of a birthday present that doesn't suck (I mean really, who needs driving lessons and new sweaters, it's like his family hate him).

mr. nails
08-21-2007, 08:06 AM
just got done with the demo. i'm not sure what to think. all u basically do is walk around in the pc demo. was hoping for 1 mp map. is there mp? lol, better be.

Cheese
08-21-2007, 09:47 AM
was hoping for 1 mp map. is there mp? lol, better be.

Single player only. :happy:

Cheese
08-21-2007, 10:37 PM
No AA or widescreen support is a bit of a blow but I'm sure someone will figure out how to enable thse things.

The game runs flawlessly on all settings high on my PC (probably because of no AA...) and is pretty damn immense. The demo is a bit linear but hopefully the full game will open up a few more options.

colt45joe
08-22-2007, 02:24 AM
i'm pretty sure there is widescreen support... i remember going through the resolutions and some said Widescreen.

and for anti-aliasing, just manually adjust that with nvidia control panel.

Colt Seevers
08-22-2007, 02:33 AM
Widescreen support is a bit FUBAR, so I hear..

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11658

Cheese
08-22-2007, 08:25 AM
and for anti-aliasing, just manually adjust that with nvidia control panel.

I've got an ATI card and the control panel doesn't seem to be able to overide the game . . .

Cheese
08-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Completed. The game is very good storywise (one of the better storylines in a computer game, though that is hardly difficult . . .), actionwise (I've had some completely insane battles due to the power-ups and clever AI), graphicswise (even without AA this game looks awesome) and soundwise (this game demands to be played with the volume way up).

My only complaints are that it is a bit linear, a bit too easy because of the re-gen chambers and I found it a little short.

mr. nails
08-28-2007, 05:07 AM
Completed.

pc version? also, how many logged hours? i've got the game, but have yet to start. kinda wanna know how many hours imma have to devote to this.

Cheese
08-28-2007, 06:47 AM
PC version, took me about 8 hours in total I think.

Colt Seevers
08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
PC version, took me about 8 hours in total I think.

You musta flew threw it Cheese - I've been taking my time exploring, or being scared shitless too scared to move!!! :OI think the average is about 15 hours, well thats what I'm up to and just about to finish it...

Of course if your uber elite 8 hours :happy:

Beenieman
08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Well gave up waiting for a crack and went and bought the game :D

I knhow I wont be rushing this game :P

Skiz
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Done.

All that playing and I get a shit ending like that? :dabs:

mr. nails
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
well, hopefully when i get home i get to play this. everyone says the game is good, but they keep saying the ending is trash. lol, i keep seeing trailers for this game and it looks as if it may be on the difficult side. i'm used to just run'n gun games. lol, this one seems as though u may have to use ur brain a little more. meh. does the ending leave the game open for a sequal?

smirnoff
09-15-2007, 11:07 PM
really good game
if i left WOW for some time and its because this game , its really good

mr. nails
09-15-2007, 11:21 PM
if i left WOW for some time and its because this game , its really good

u left WoW for bioshock? why? once u beat bioshock ur done... WoW on the other hand keeps going for a long while. i'm still playing WoW and will going on to the next exp as well. bioshock would be a break from WoW, but not something that takes it's place.

cubus
09-16-2007, 03:32 AM
it's a nice game