PDA

View Full Version : Autobiographies

Curley
05-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Last Autobiography I read was "Lucky Man: a Memoir" on Micahel J Fox. I'd recommend that to anyone, he's an icrediable man.

What Autobiographies have you read, and what would you recommend? I don't read enough of them.

J'Pol
05-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Read "The Moon's a Balloon" David Niven.

Very interesting life. Very easy read. Very funny.

Skweeky
05-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Last biography is read was 'Pearl', about the life of Janis Joplin. It was pretty good, though a bit boring sometimes, but it made me understand her music a lot better.

slammy_dunken
05-08-2003, 10:18 PM
I've only read a biography, and it's "Heavier Than Heaven" by Charles R. Cross. It's about the life of Kurt Cobain, the lead singer of NIRVANA.

tianup
05-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Miles - Miles Davis - one of the most enlightening books ever written if you're into music, recent history, understanding humanity, blah blah blah, especially if you're into jazz.

hammermaff
05-10-2003, 10:47 AM
I don't really read many autobiographies, however i have read "Paolo DiCanio" (west ham footballer) of course! which i thoroughly enjoyed (i may be a bit biased). :D
I've also got "Blessed" (George Best) to read.

My girlfriend has read "The Bodyguards Story" (Trevor Rees-Jones) princess Diana's bodyguard.
She said she really enjoyed it,( it must be good because she normally reads the first two chapters, then gets bored)!! :lol:

olibomb
05-10-2003, 11:03 AM
E.A.R.L- It's an autobiography by DMX, real interesting.

Curley
05-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by hammermaff@10 May 2003 - 11:47
My girlfriend has read "The Bodyguards Story" (Trevor Rees-Jones) princess Diana's bodyguard.
She said she really enjoyed it,( it must be good because she normally reads the first two chapters, then gets bored)!! :lol:
I took that book to Ibiza last year, read the first chapter by the pool, went for a drink... and when I got back someone had half inched it!! My mate never saw anything cause she was asleep :(

I've added it to my list. :)

soopaman
05-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Haven't read many autobiographies, but I'm definately going to try the David Niven one. I've read quite a few biographies in the last couple of years and I'll try and provide a few recommendations. Here goes:

HIMMLER - Peter Padfield. Very interesting and in depth look into the life and "work" of the Reichsfuhrer SS. An evil man and no mistake.

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND - Giles Foden. Another enjoyable read about another evil man - this time Idi Amin. Written by his Scottish doctor. The story behind the book title is bizarre!!

CHOPPER - Mark Brandon Read. Fantastic book about Aussie "standover" man Chopper Read. Superb, funny, poignant, etc. 10/10.

MOBSTER - John Cummings + Ernest Volkman. Documenting the rise and fall of John Gotti, the Teflon Don. Very scary guy.

I have more to read at the moment and will try and post recommendations/reviews when(if) I finish them. :lol:

J'Pol
05-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hammermaff@10 May 2003 - 11:47
I don't really read many autobiographies, however i have read "Paolo DiCanio" (west ham footballer) of course! which i thoroughly enjoyed (i may be a bit biased). :D
I've also got "Blessed" (George Best) to read.

Just one of our great 7's

Skillian
05-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Mr. Nice by Howard Marks. VERY interesting read. Find out about the man who probably supplied that very weed you were smoking over the last 10 or 15 years.

soopaman
05-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@10 May 2003 - 16:33
Mr. Nice by Howard Marks. VERY interesting read. Find out about the man who probably supplied that very weed you were smoking over the last 10 or 15 years.

I found the book a bit repetitive repetitive. Seemingly endless anecdotes about smuggling drugs got on my nerves after a while, but saying that I kind of enjoyed reading it. He seems like a good bloke!

If you liked Mr. Nice try this one:

SNOWBLIND - Robert Sabbag.

It's about the Cocaine trade in the USA. :D

Ps I doubt I've smoked much of Howards weed, he only got out of prison in 1995 after serving 7 years of his 25 year sentence. I thought you said you'd read the book!! :P

J'Pol
05-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Curley+10 May 2003 - 12:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Curley @ 10 May 2003 - 12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--hammermaff@10 May 2003 - 11:47
My girlfriend has read "The Bodyguards Story" (Trevor Rees-Jones) princess Diana&#39;s bodyguard.
She said she really enjoyed it,( it must be good because she normally reads the first two chapters, then gets bored)&#33;&#33;&nbsp; :lol:
I took that book to Ibiza last year, read the first chapter by the pool, went for a drink... and when I got back someone had half inched it&#33;&#33; My mate never saw anything cause she was asleep :(

I&#39;ve added it to my list. :) [/b][/quote]
Do you think his girlfriend took it.

Perhaps UKMan could help. Case of the sleeping friend.

The games afoot

Skillian
05-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Ps I doubt I&#39;ve smoked much of Howards weed, he only got out of prison in 1995 after serving 7 years of his 25 year sentence. I thought you said you&#39;d read the book&#33;&#33;&nbsp;

Hmmm, it&#39;s been a while since I read that (obviously). Even I wasn&#39;t smoking weed in 1988 (I was only 10&#33;) Also it was only the UK&#39;s weed , should have said that. But some of the ageing hippies on this board probably smoked some&#33;

J'Pol
05-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@10 May 2003 - 17:23

Ps I doubt I&#39;ve smoked much of Howards weed, he only got out of prison in 1995 after serving 7 years of his 25 year sentence. I thought you said you&#39;d read the book&#33;&#33;

Hmmm, it&#39;s been a while since I read that (obviously). Even I wasn&#39;t smoking weed in 1988 (I was only 10&#33;) Also it was only the UK&#39;s weed , should have said that. But some of the ageing hippies on this board probably smoked some&#33;
And by this you imply.

Skillian
05-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Nothing, of course. :-"

Curley
05-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+10 May 2003 - 17:16--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 10 May 2003 - 17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Curley@10 May 2003 - 12:32
<!--QuoteBegin--hammermaff@10 May 2003 - 11:47
My girlfriend has read "The Bodyguards Story" (Trevor Rees-Jones) princess Diana&#39;s bodyguard.
She said she really enjoyed it,( it must be good because she normally reads the first two chapters, then gets bored)&#33;&#33; :lol:
I took that book to Ibiza last year, read the first chapter by the pool, went for a drink... and when I got back someone had half inched it&#33;&#33; My mate never saw anything cause she was asleep :(

I&#39;ve added it to my list. :)
Do you think his girlfriend took it.

Perhaps UKMan could help. Case of the sleeping friend.

The games afoot [/b][/quote]
You know, the thought had crossed my mind.

I think i&#39;ll go back to Ibiza and gather the evidence.

J'Pol
05-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@10 May 2003 - 17:37
Nothing, of course. :-"
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/hippie.gifhttp://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/smokin.gifhttp://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/Peace.gif

WeeMouse
05-13-2003, 08:03 AM
I&#39;ve read Billy Connolly&#39;s books (one was a biography, one and autobiography)
He&#39;s a good man&#33;

dingoBaby
05-17-2003, 12:54 AM
The Autobiography of Malcom X was a quite an interesting book. Rubin "the Hurricane" Carter&#39;s autobiography (the name of which escapes me) was also excellent. Both men led amazing lives.

I have also read the McCourt books. All were good but I enjoyed A Monk Swimming the best out of the three I read. Malachy made me laugh more than Frank, although I think Malachy strays from the truth from time-to-time.

dingoBaby
05-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks to those who fought for Bookworld. I am rather enjoying it here. I thought of another autobiography that I enjoyed. David Egger&#39;s A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Genius is based, for the most part, on Egger&#39;s life. He has an interesting style and his story is a memorable one.

Curley
05-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by dingoBaby@17 May 2003 - 02:11
Thanks to those who fought for Bookworld. I am rather enjoying it here.
I have to agree, the bookworld is always the first place I come to when I log on :)

Its proving more popular than I thought it would.

summerlinda
05-17-2003, 05:08 PM
The Godmother.
About crimequeen Thea Moear [Bruinsma groep], you read about it in the paper an judge them [drugs] criminals [i think we all do sometimes] after reading this book, in a strange way, you can symphatise with her, kinda....
Very interesting book.

thegroggman
05-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Its been quite a few years since I read it, but I always thought Jay Leno&#39;s Biography &#39;Leading With my Chin&#39; was a enjoyable book. Sure its not as serious as other bio&#39;s listed here, but nevertheless it was a fun read.