PDA

View Full Version : ISP - Maximum Download Limit Exceeded

WHiKWiRE
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Hello, I've recently switched isp's from sympatico to source cable here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I have been connected to source cable for about a month now and there have been no problems. Yesterday I noticed I was downloading very slowly at around 30/kilobytes a second. I called my isp and was told I downloaded 450/GB which is over their limit. They had switched me to their lite service for the time being. I'm going to call them again today to talk with a supervisor about being switched back to my regular high speed connection. I was wondering if it was illegal to download in Canada? and should I be worried about my isp contacting the authorites? If and when they switch me back to my connection I have to keep in the limit of 50/GB - 100/GB. My question: is there a free news server (speed doesn't matter) that will let me download DVD-R's. Also I was wondering if I am able to connect to a free server or purchase a news server account at giganews.com, newsdaemon.com or newshosting.com will the amount I download be tracked by my isp?

P.S. - Do you think would be possible to send a money order monthly to a news server for an account with them?

More than 1000 DVD's burned.Fight the Power. Attaca, Attaca, Attaca.

lysine
09-29-2006, 10:37 AM
it doesn't matter what news server you're using, if your ISP wants you to keep your usage under a certain amount, it doesn't matter where you're downloading it from. sounds like if you want to download more than 50-100GB a month, you need to change ISP to someone different.

j0hn
10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
u can only hide what u download, not how much.
like lsine says, u need to switch isps if the usage limit is not enough for u.

User
10-02-2006, 08:58 PM
My ISP say that I am supposed to have a 70gig a month limit on my usage, and yet they seem to never enforce this, as i have been known to dl 45gig a day, 6 days straight, from newsservers without comment or restriction. It would seem that your ISP is the problem, and changing them is going to be your only solution.

Sudhana
10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about your ISP turning you in or anything. They just don't want to you downloading that volume.

gamer4eva
10-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I was with a crappy ISP and I phoned saying that I was getting slow speeds and they asked if i was using any p2p software and i said yes and they said if you use p2p for too long we will throttle your connection nothing further happens. ISP do not turn you in but i would suggest you change to something thats suitable to your needs.

limesqueezer
10-03-2006, 02:36 AM
I would never have a limited internet, why do you buy this ? You downloaded more than 450 gb on month lol ? that is just crazy.

WHiKWiRE
10-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Blame me, Blame the NEWSGROUPS. I got it fixed my Mom called and said we have a house of 3 teens and got the limit boosted to 220/ GB. Very persuasive woman.

kayvanblue
10-03-2006, 06:12 PM
unfortunately almost all the ISP.s in canada have some sort of bandwidth cap some even have traffic shaping(ie: ROGERS), I'm with Rogers,i signed a contract with them about 3 years ago, at those time they were advertising thier unlimited download and upload bandwidth service,,a year after that i received an email from them, they were kindly notifying all thier costumers that there is a line somewhere in the contract that allow$ Rogers to change the contract whenever that they feel like it...so they felt they should put a cap on thier service, oh yah no more unlimited service, since that 60 GB limit was given to all the goodfellas in canada, when I called in to object to it, they were like oh you are a badfella,are you gonna download illegal stuffs? ,why you need more than 60 GB that we gave you generously!!! NO MO****** thats because i signed for it............................

Virtualbody1234
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
unfortunately almost all the ISP.s in canada have some sort of bandwidth cap some even have traffic shaping(ie: ROGERS), I'm with Rogers,i signed a contract with them about 3 years ago, at those time they were advertising thier unlimited download and upload bandwidth service,,a year after that i received an email from them, they were kindly notifying all thier costumers that there is a line somewhere in the contract that allow$ Rogers to change the contract whenever that they feel like it...so they felt they should put a cap on thier service, oh yah no more unlimited service, since that 60 GB limit was given to all the goodfellas in canada, when I called in to object to it, they were like oh you are a badfella,are you gonna download illegal stuffs? ,why you need more than 60 GB that we gave you generously!!! NO MO****** thats because i signed for it............................

I have unlimited in Canada. :P

kayvanblue
10-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I have unlimited in Canada. :P[/QUOTE]

you may wanna reveal your isp's name for us!