PDA

View Full Version : Neil Gaiman

tianup
05-09-2003, 07:47 AM
I'm so happy to see this kind of forum here. I can't read ebooks though, they kill my eyes, but I don't mind paying for good books. One of my favorite authors is Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere & American Gods are his two best, but I love everything I've read so far including Smoke & Mirrors, Good Omens, and Stardust ( I haven't read Coraline yet ). Just curious about whether anyone is a fan of his well known comic series' Death, and The Sandman series. I'm totally into checking all of them out, cause I've looked at them, and they're great, but they're so expensive. Any tips on which ones are worth getting into first?

soopaman
05-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by tianup@9 May 2003 - 08:47
I'm so happy to see this kind of forum here. I can't read ebooks though, they kill my eyes, but I don't mind paying for good books. One of my favorite authors is Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere & American Gods are his two best, but I love everything I've read so far including Smoke & Mirrors, Good Omens, and Stardust ( I haven't read Coraline yet ). Just curious about whether anyone is a fan of his well known comic series' Death, and The Sandman series. I'm totally into checking all of them out, cause I've looked at them, and they're great, but they're so expensive. Any tips on which ones are worth getting into first?

I love the Sandman series of comics, although I haven't been buying comics for about 6 years now. I wouldn't mind checking out the Death series. I'm guessing it's a spin-off series featuring Dream's sister Death?? I've yet to read Gaiman's novels could you recommend any? :D

As for which one to read first:

Preludes and Nocturnes (check on the spelling!)

Set the scene nicely. :)

tianup
05-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Cool, thanks. The best Gaiman novels are Neverwhere and American Gods. Both are great, though they are different - Neverwhere is a little darker (maybe...) and there's a new one out called Coraline, but I haven't read it yet. He also has a wicked book of shorts called Smoke and Mirrors, which I would highly recommend. Oh, and he co-wrote an amazing novel with Terry Pratchett called Good Omens. You should really read them all. I'm off to get Preludes first thing Monday.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 07:47 AM
The sandman is a absolute comic master peice. Gaiman was at the top of his game for that. Id rank him up there with Frank Miller, Straczynski, Bendis, Claremont... bah, way too many to name, lets just say hes great. though i have never read any of his novels, maybe i should look into that.

tianup
05-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Schmiggy - you should definitely read some of his novels. Gaiman writes novels in such a visually stimulating manner that you can see everything you read as if it's happening - you can see and feel the weather and gore and fear....anyway, check out Neverwhere or American Gods.