PDA

View Full Version : Ratio...huh?

nscherneck
11-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Can you guys educate me on ratios? Im using uTorrent and im downloading torrents from demonoid. So im seeding everything that i download and have decent to good ratios on all those files. But what does that mean to you guys? How do i use those numbers to prove to you guys that im a contributor not a moocher? Is there a way to broadcast my overall ratio or something?

Also, im not always pleased with the file and / or folder names of the files i download. How can i rename and move those files around to my satisfaction and still be able to seed them?

Thanks in advance...

gamer4eva
11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Right the torrent name will have to be same name as folder usually in order for you to seed or re-seed it. Also i would suggest you take screenshots to prove you are not a 'moocher' as you call it or a leecher as i would call it.

This proves that you are a valuabe asset to a bittorent community.

syD
11-12-2006, 07:30 PM
or a leecher as i would call it.

a leecher is anyone leeching a torrent and therefore you're calling it wrong.
you're a leecher all the time man :P

maybe you should refer to such an user as leech ;)

gamer4eva
11-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Well maybe your right.....lol i mean't it in the context that it means a person who always leeches without giving back. nscherneck said he wanted to show that he was not a moocher (basically meant not someone who does not give back what he takes) and i said it is called leecher. But technically you were right but then again we are talking about torrents and a leecher is officially classed as a person who takes and does not give back what he has taken.

syD
11-12-2006, 09:47 PM
[...] a leecher is officially classed as a person who takes and does not give back what he has taken.

Oink stats:

Seeders 768,168
Leechers 23,974

in that case, there are 24k leechers on oink, those ungreatful bastards, i wonder why none of them get banned :P:P

nscherneck
11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
so leecher is not a "downloader" and seeder is not an "uploader"? is that what im reading?

gamer4eva
11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
A leecher is one who downloads once the torrent is complete he is a seeder and which leads to the point that once those 24k leechers have downloaded they will be seeding. Therefore those users aint going to get banned aint that right syD.

r4cc00n
11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
so leecher is not a "downloader" and seeder is not an "uploader"? is that what im reading?

kind of

a leech is a user who downloads a torrent until it is complete, then that user becomes a seeder; an uploader is a user that uploads a torrent to a tracker, and automatically becomes a seeder

syD
11-12-2006, 10:57 PM
@gamer4eva

u got me afraid for a moment that i was going to get banned, i was leeching sooo many torrents. good thing i stopped them in time, they didnt catch me leeching this time. :D

Suphix
11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
[...] a leecher is officially classed as a person who takes and does not give back what he has taken.

Oink stats:

Seeders 768,168
Leechers 23,974

in that case, there are 24k leechers on oink, those ungreatful bastards, i wonder why none of them get banned :P:P

hehe, funny.

(btw... those stats really do sum up oink... its so hard to keep a good ratio if you dont upload your own stuff... my stats however. 236.670 Uploaded: 4.80 GB Downloaded: 20.78 MB :) )

gamer4eva
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
@gamer4eva

u got me afraid for a moment that i was going to get banned, i was leeching sooo many torrents. good thing i stopped them in time, they didnt catch me leeching this time. :D

Well i did try to explain in simple terms.:D

Glad you understood and yes it would be a shame if they caught you leeching.;)

PooBar
11-13-2006, 03:52 AM
nscherneck, if you want to mane your file the way you want to mane them just copy them into another folder,it's your safest option and about the only option ;-)

DKre8ive1
11-13-2006, 07:10 AM
You might want to read up on this link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

Edit: and changing the file name will miss up your download and if you try to restart it will start all over again so you will end up having a partial file and a whole new file, so I dont recommend renaming the files.

syD
11-13-2006, 08:37 AM
yeah, why are ppl so obsessed with renaming the rls anyway... just leave the original scene names and dont modify em, is it so much of an eyestrain?

lysine
11-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Also, im not always pleased with the file and / or folder names of the files i download. How can i rename and move those files around to my satisfaction and still be able to seed them?

you'd have to switch to azureus to get that function. in the files tab, you can right-click on the filename and then select rename or retarget. you can only change the names of the individual files, and not the folder though.

your best bet is to copy the data and rename the copy to whatever you want, like someone mentioned above.

gamer4eva
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
yeah, why are ppl so obsessed with renaming the rls anyway... just leave the original scene names and dont modify em, is it so much of an eyestrain?

I just leave the name of the rls aswell because then i can seed on other places...:lol: well you can seed in other places if you rename but i like to know the release group because same games may have different release groups eg reloaded etc....:P