PDA

View Full Version : Security Question!!

Gish
11-12-2006, 11:31 PM
so in the past four months I have had 2 ScT 1 pisexy 1 oink(which I got back) and a FSC account stolen. I know what your thinking! well you should not give other people your passwords or sign on to the sites with another computer. well I have not done any of those things nor would I. I first thought it was a virus so I scanned my computer with spy sweeper and both AVG antivirus and AVG anti-spy. I also use zonealarm firewall. after a full scan it came up with some keyloggers so I thought I solved the problem. well I was wrong the next month I could not log in to my FSC the account I got back was oink because the staff there beleved my story. no offence to the ScT staff but there about as helpful as a 5 dollar hooker:frusty:
and I slowly found out that each time I went to a staff member with this problem they could care less no matter the proof.
so my queston how the fuck are these hacker getting in to my account and changing both the pass and the email. my computer is free of viruses and spyware( I scan everyweek and there updated. what am I doing wrong:frusty: after my first account was stolen in the summer I learned the hard way that I need better passwords and trust me I change them once a mounth and they are long as hell!!
another question has anone else had this problem?
the only thing I can think of is that there is some malware or virus that will not be picked up by normal scanners. that or my wife is a secret account stealer:lol:

Thanks for listening :)

gamer4eva
11-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Well a suggestion would be make your passwords different on each site and make your usernames different if you can.

Also: Make sure there are no keyloggers installed on your computer as these are the things that record keyboard movements apparently which is how someone got my MSN password when i logged into my acc on his computer. Obviously he told me and i changed the password.

sagitarioxp
11-13-2006, 01:26 AM
A virus in a "stealth" mode, may not be picked up by a normal anti-virus scan. The virus redirects the anti-virus scanner to the real MBR which will scan as normal even though it's in the wrong place. Most viruses will also pre-empt all DOS file calls coming in. In other words it "runs ahead, and disinfects the MBR or file before anti-virus software can scan the MBR or file, and when the MBR or file call is through, the virus then re-infects the MBR or file. :shutup:

syD
11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
yep, if you got the same username and pass on all sites, you got youre answer. someone got ahold of one of those usernames and the others were just a walk in the park.

also, if youre using firefox and you enable the save password option, all your passes are saved in one place and can be seen by everybody who is curious to look (tools-options-preferences-view saved passwords)

r4cc00n
11-13-2006, 09:21 AM
also, if youre using firefox and you enable the save password option, all your passes are saved in one place and can be seen by everybody who is curious to look (tools-options-preferences-view saved passwords)

this is what i was going to say you should look into

lysine
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
saved in one place and can be seen by everybody who is curious to look (tools-options-preferences-view saved passwords)

that's why you've got to set it up with a "master password" in the options, so they have to enter that one first :)

Gish
11-13-2006, 10:14 PM
wow I never thought people could see my saved pass words? I'm not sure how that is possable but anything is possable i guess! thanks for all the help. I went to options and clicked save passwords to off. by the way it says save master password what does it mean by enter it in every session?

safa
11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
First of all i think you need to FORMAT, and re-install windows that way you know for sure you pc is CLEAN, then i recomend NOD32 antivirus its rated very high and i would also recomend Outpost firewall.

Passwords should be changed regularly and the Master password for firefox should be enabled and also changed regularly too.

reachnet
11-13-2006, 11:39 PM
You don't say how your network is configged. Wired/wireless ?
If the latter could be someone passively sniffing your traffic, if yuou don't have it locked down/encrypted.

Sneakydave
11-13-2006, 11:50 PM
tbh if it had happened that much id look into securing my wireless network and like safa says doin a fresh install of my os

Gish
11-14-2006, 01:20 AM
cable not wireless. don't you think reinstalling windows is a little drastick

syD
11-14-2006, 05:32 AM
nope :)

i reinstall windows everytime i get spyware on my pc :lol:

j0hn
11-14-2006, 10:13 AM
formatting just because he had a password found out is way over the mark.
1 possibility it could have been is this:
theres a new scam circulating, or maybe its not new, maybe its just been found out about recently, but it works like this.

u get a pm on a site, lets use oink for example. u open this pm, and its some user asking u to visit a webpage/link. when u visit this link, it somehow copies ur cookie information from the site where u clicked the link (oink) and passes it on to the person who pm'd u. the cookie contains ur username and password.

basically, if somebody sends u a pm on a torrent site, which contains a link/url in it, DO NOT click it, as they could be able to get ur username and password from it. quite a few sites have recently send mass pm's warning users about this scam. i know torrentleech have recently made security changes which require u to login each time ur i.p changes, which prevents the stolen cookie from being used by the attacker. im sure other sites will fix this too.

if u do get a pm like i described above, with a url in it, asking u to visit it, then make sure u report it to the site staff, so the attacker(s) can be banned.

hope this helps :)

Gish
11-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all comments. one question! this master password how does it work on firefox?

Melvinmeow
11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
There are other ways to login to someones username as well. If the sites your using have sql injections and the people hacking your account now where and how to use them... They can acctually login to your account without even using your password.
I had someone do this to me so know how to do it after examining the logs.
I highly doubt they used this method though. But never know.