PDA

View Full Version : HELP! poor download speeds?!

dannyking1
11-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi,
i am having problems downloading with torrents at speed, the maximum i seem to be getting on any torrent is 7kb/s. regardless of the seeder/leecher ratio. I recently upgraded my pc and thus installed windows on a new hdd. Before i upgraded i was getting the full speed of 2mb (around 230kb/s) and i wasnt connectable. I cant become connectable because i am living in halls of residence and i think there is a firewall somewhere down the line. (I have a LAN socket in my wall for internetl). I am using Sygate Personal Firewall with the same set-up as i had before, and as far as im concerned i have exactly the same software set up as before. Im using Bittornado, which i have never had a problem with.

Could it be my LAN adapter drivers? It seems to be the only thing that i have changed. Im using a new MSI k9ngm motherboard which uses Nvidia network drivers (Nvidia C51G/C51PV chipset i think). I have also got a new program running through my firewall; NDIS user mode I/O driver?!

I have checked all options regarding restricting speed and spent hours configuring my computer to try and get this working...please dont tell me to go to portforward.com!!

Any help appreciated
cheers

pECi
11-22-2006, 05:19 PM
just the speed on torrents decreased or the overall speed? on http or ftp u still download with 2 mbps ??

dannyking1
11-22-2006, 06:00 PM
its the speed of the actual torrents, my web browsing/file downloading speeds are normal. I am very familiar with the bittorent network and i know about seed/leech ratios so its not that.

cheers

dongle
11-22-2006, 06:56 PM
If you are certain you should be downloading faster, its probably not, as you say problems with portforwarding. I can easily get the fastest downloads i can even if the port im using isnt open.

So I'm guessing its something wrong with your hw.

aburyach
11-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Are you using public trackers? It is not uncommon to get low rates there, it is leecher's paradise. Try private trackers (if you have not already)

lysine
11-22-2006, 09:47 PM
since you're using sygate, have you disabled the windows firewall?

http://www.utmem.edu/helpdesk/sp2/sp2firewall.htm

kavalchuk17
11-23-2006, 02:54 AM
Maybe your upload got capped and now they killed your speed until it resets.

ALSO - try forcing encryption.