PDA

View Full Version : Are freebies trades?

Panther
11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
I am wondering, regarding the trusted traders list, I have noticed that quite a few people get many votes because of free invites they give, is that fair? I often see somebody get two or three votes on the same page but the one getting the votes dosnt vote back so it has to be because of freebies. I think people should only get votes when they trade, that is get invites/accounts for other invites/accounts.

Sure, people that give free invites are very nice but trades are trades and freebies are...another thing. It is also possible that scammers climb up the list handing out free invites and when they are trusted they scam people for really valuable invites/accounts.

Scammers or not, I think that people that are on the trusted traders list should be there because of trades they make, not because of freebies, because if this continues the list will be full with people with 10+ not really "deserving" that rating...

So I really want to know, do you think that freebies deserve +1 on the trusted traders list

gamer4eva
11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Not really unless they both agree on it....

DKre8ive1
11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I would think that a member that just gives a invite out of kindness is probably a better person then one that is denying users that might be good members an invite just because the the person receiving an invite don't have what that person needs.

So I say give them a +2 since they gave it away for free and as you say the invitee might not post on that list since its a freebie, not sure how this could be done at moment but its my 2c.

But this is not to say that I approve trading or giving invites to just anyone and especially if sites rules are broken in the process. ;)

gamer4eva
11-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Its a trade of trust with an invite you can say that!!!!

Panther
11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
So you think its fair I can hand out bunch of TL invites and all of a sudden I am a very trusted TRADER

As I said, giving freebies is very kind and good to the community but I dont think its trading...

gamer4eva
11-28-2006, 11:12 PM
See your looking at it the wrong way.....don't give it out to random people give it to those who have some form of proof that they can be good members. Therefore in a sense you have asked for something ie minimum requirements as it happens to be called.

Panther
11-28-2006, 11:19 PM
I didnt mean that I do that, just that someone could do it and therefor become trusted. I try to give them to people that have the potential of being good members... But here I am talking about this list. I always check it if I am making a trade and I just want it to be as exact as possible

11-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Panther, you are absolutely right. i also have noticed a lot of people giving +1's to those who are kindly tossing invites to them without a trade being involved. while i'm glad others are giving away to the community, that is NOT what that thread is for and because of the way it has turned out i don't consider it helpful at all. out of all of the people in the list there are probably only a handfull of people who acquired all their points from trades. those are the kind of people that i trust, not someone who tosses a few useless torrentleech & demonoid invites and expects to get their way to the top by simply doing that... but since the thread isn't organized in a way to differentiate between tossers and traders i really don't know who's who. :dry:

gamer4eva
11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
In a sense your right but then again you should know who the trusty traders are.....because they are the ones who are always on forums and stuff.

mags23
11-29-2006, 05:32 AM
So Panther, why don't you create a new system where people trading higher-rated trackers (SyD's list, or create your own) get more points? That way, jerks who just give away their TL/Demonoid/TD/etc get less than those strategic geniuses who hoard away Snowtigers for a rainy day when it suddenly becomes popular? Or maybe, give negative points toward those who lose in deals, such as those who will part with TB/KG/etc just because they can? That way, those who win in trades will be the best traders ever!

Can you smell the sarcasm?

I think people who give away trades for nothing rule, and deserve to be rewarded as such. I wish I were more like that, but I'm too mistrusting.

peat moss
11-29-2006, 05:54 AM
It kind of a trade off , how can you criticize someone who gives something for nothing ? Example " I have 10 invite to give away for a certain private tracker "

I want nothing in return but a good sharing member . So who do you give them to ? No one or do you search this forum and look for a deserving member , read his posts and think hey I like him or her , they have something to add perfect !:D I haven't been disappointed yet ,most of my invites have a better share ratio than me because they care that they were invited. :)

I'v never traded tho I'd probably lose . :dabs:

11-29-2006, 06:03 AM
this is not a competition, this is about trust. if the list stays as is, anyone could come here toss some worthless invites, make their blue 10+ mark, and the next day scam a couple guys who were fooled by what that ridiculous list shows. sure, some of the members who have given away freebies here may seem like good guys, but they haven't proven they are a trusted traders by just doing that alone.

tbh, i thought that list was a good idea at first, but now i think it would be best if that thread was deleted... it is very misleading and serves no good purpose anymore.

gamer4eva
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
this is not a competition, this is about trust. if the list stays as is, anyone could come here toss some worthless invites, make their blue 10+ mark, and the next day scam a couple guys who were fooled by what that ridiculous list shows. sure, some of the members who have given away freebies here may seem like good guys, but they haven't proven they are a trusted traders by just doing that alone.

tbh, i thought that list was a good idea at first, but now i think it would be best if that thread was deleted... it is very misleading and serves no good purpose anymore.

I never knew it existed...until like 2 weeks ago....:lol: and i never look at it anyway so i don't even know my ratings.:lol:

shosh
11-29-2006, 03:18 PM
i dont even look at the trusted traders list.
i hate the idea of it and it alienates new ppl.
ppl are still getting scammed so it isnt doing anything.
i think the trusted traders list should be taken off, i mean it seems like a pain to keep it maintained and in a couple of years its gonna be huge (if it last that long).

regulars in the invite section should know who to trust based on reputation on the board.

Panther
11-29-2006, 08:58 PM
It seems that some people here are completely missunderstanding what I was trying to say. I dont have anything against people that give things away for free (else I would hate myself since I do it all the time...) , I just think the appreciation for them should be directed elsewhere than on the trusted traders list.

Maby we should start another list where people can collect PPPīs(Pleasant People Points) :)

Basquiat
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
i dont even look at the trusted traders list.
i hate the idea of it and it alienates new ppl.
ppl are still getting scammed so it isnt doing anything.
i think the trusted traders list should be taken off, i mean it seems like a pain to keep it maintained and in a couple of years its gonna be huge (if it last that long).

regulars in the invite section should know who to trust based on reputation on the board.

i agree, i prefer not to see my name anywhere and only have mentioned others there because they asked.

RealitY
11-30-2006, 05:21 AM
There is no way to check if the point was for a freebie or a trade since many trades are done privately and would crazy to track that. We can try to create the best environment possible though things will still happen though would think less then elsewhere. If it happens we deal with it. Those caught on FST are not just gone from here and the sites they scam but risk a global ban also. Those that scam are more likely to do so where there are little or no consequences. Those that join to scam and look around might rethink it.

The concept of a member signing up to give away 10 freebies to climb the list so they can scam is a bit thin. The same could be done by a member who makes real trades if thats the logic. First they have to wait a month then give out a bunch of invites to scam and then thyere gone. Additionally the invite they scammed is most likely gone also and a possible a global also effecting their other accounts. Seems stretched since sites scammers have gotten here are mostly disabled. Seems like a lot of effort for nothing. Sure its possible but doubtful and rare and as possible as any other similar concept.

The Trusted Traders thread adds a bit to making a trade go well. Its a reference point in addition to other things you should do before a trade. Look at their posts. Find a mutual site and look at their information and chat with them there if possible. Most likely the amount of research done before a trade depends on how crucial the trade is. The thread also promotes giving freebies to earn some points and become more well know.

Though Ive had the same thoughts about whos giving the points and if it relates to trades or not. Not surprised this hasnt come up sooner. There was thought in the layout of the thread. It was revised where you only give another member one point and just once. The original layout of multiple points isnt practical and would be messy. This keeps it simple and less likely to corrupt. As for who deserves the point or not dosent seem the point of this thread though think both do. Think the point is the pin may be slightly mislabeled. So lets take it from there and give it a new title like Trusted Members or something...