PDA

View Full Version : how do i change the anounce interval in utorrent?

tdoar
11-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I downloaded a torrent file and the tracker keeps responding with a failure message saying the the minimum interval is 30 minutes. The update time for the torrent seems to be 20 minutes.

Any idea on how to change it on utorrent 1.6?

lysine
11-30-2006, 01:25 PM
you don't. the tracker dictates how often the client announces. unless you override it, by clicking on the update tracker feature of your client.

make a post on the tracker's forum and ask about the error it's giving.

DefX
11-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I heard admins dont like it if you update the intervals manually. hmm

tdoar
11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
i know that but this is a different case an i wanted to know if there is a way to set utorrent to perform the updates at a predefined interval

gamer4eva
11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
You should leave it all but if you must updade it then right click and update tracker.

N@LiM
11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
i know that but this is a different case an i wanted to know if there is a way to set utorrent to perform the updates at a predefined interval
I with caution u not to try that bcoz..

is very true...

d4rkpri35t
11-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Indeed.. updating the intervals manually creates unnecessary tracker load... causing the site to run slower

tdoar
12-01-2006, 01:36 AM
thanks ill post in the forums there

filephile
12-01-2006, 01:53 AM
manually updating is probably the most useful if you are not able to forward your ports and are "not connectable". somone in this situation would only be able to connect to (connectable) peers everytime the tracker updated. it might be very hard to seed back enough of popular files early enough to maintain any kind of good ratio if new peers are only available to you every 30 minutes.

I guess the question is..does manually updating the tracker every 10 minutes really put a lot more strain on the server, or only if everybody did it? honestly I don't know enough to answer that, except if it is going to get you banned then it's really not an option.

d4rkpri35t
12-01-2006, 02:35 AM
I guess the question is..does manually updating the tracker every 10 minutes really put a lot more strain on the server, or only if everybody did it? honestly I don't know enough to answer that, except if it is going to get you banned then it's really not an option.

Honastly, I couldn't answer that question either... I guess it just depends on amount of users/torrents.

Melvinmeow
12-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Honestly 1 scrape would be 4 - 5 queries on most trackers. Multiple that by how many users are on the site. Alot of SQL queries can make the site run slower. But in my opinion its just a scrape which takes like .001 seconds to process on most servers. I limit mine to 2 minute scrapes. I beleive Utorrent does scrapes every 30 - 45 minutes I forget the exact timing but its not 15 minutes that someone mentioned before. If you think about it if they are limiting your scrapes to every 30 minutes what happens if you scrape now and then stop your seeding 29 minutes from now? Anything you downloaded or uploaded on that particular file you closed would not get reported to the tracker. Dunno about you but for me on most sites that would be a differance of 5gigs if not more on the uploaded side.

Utorrent announces every 43 minutes by default.