PDA

View Full Version : Which ISP? UK! See requirements!

threelions00
12-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi, my friend wants to get internet...BUT...is it possible to have the net without a phone line? All they want is broadband and not have to pay some line rental if possible.

They'd also like unlimited monthly usage if possible and a decent speed. I have looked at NTL and Telewest but i am not sure if that requires a phone line or not, i know it says cable internet (does that mean no phone line required???).

And the price...well as cheap as poss really, any online deals or over the phone would be fine!

Cheers again, 3lions

Sudden
12-18-2006, 12:51 AM
NTL and Telewest same company

The phone you can get seperate
The broadband you can get seperate
The movies and basic programes you can get seperate

Has for Broadband price Now thats something else
Also you will have to pay by direct debit
check it out yourself
"http://www.home.ntl.com/websales/service.do?id=2"

DanB
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
You don't have to pay by direct debit but they charge you an extra £2 a month if you don't. And you don't need a BT line as its provided via cable.

I used to have their 4mb one before I moved house and never had any problems with it.

lynx
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
To put it simply, they either need cable or a phone line (but not necessarily BT).

If they don't have a phone line they would have to have one installed.
If they don't have cable they would have to have it installed if it is available. Don't assume that they can get cable just because near neighbours have it.

Excluding any installation costs, running cable just for broadband access is about the same price as paying for a phone line and adsl.

threelions00
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
NTL don't provide the service so that blew that one out of the water...

So then, phone line it is...anyone know of another company that does not use BT (reason being, the person owes them a bit of money)...

So which ISP then??? Still same requirements on speed etc.

Many thanks, 3lions.