PDA

View Full Version : huns under par

JPaul
01-07-2007, 02:57 PM
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=footballNews&storyID=2007-01-07T141601Z_01_L07745624_RTRIDST_0_SOCCER-EUROPE-SCOTLAND-CUP.XML&WTmodLoc=UK+Football-C1-Headline-2

The Pars haven't even scored in like their last 4 games.

LeGuen must be pissing himself.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
http://images.skysports.com/images/playerpics05_06/Scotland/Rangers/leguen_paul.jpg

Mais non, moi?

Jagarga
01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
ian durrant for manager full time is my vote.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Durrant Must Stay.

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I hadn't realise they'd sacked him, I was wondering why Barry Ferguson had suddenly been reinstated.

Does the manager of Rangers have to be protestant?

Jagarga
01-07-2007, 04:32 PM
no, just a bigot.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I hadn't realise they'd sacked him, I was wondering why Barry Ferguson had suddenly been reinstated.

Does the manager of Rangers have to be protestant?

Ferguson didn't have to be re-instated, he had only lost the Captaincy. Which Gavin Rae kept for today even with Ferguson playing.

They really were shocking, it was magic.

There was a great "shock, horror, LeGeun is a Catholic" thing in the Daily Ranger when he came at first. He actually replied that he was brought up a Catholic but wasn't really one now. He only went once a year and that was more a family tradition than a religious thing. He should have kept his yap shut, answering it gave the matter credibility it didn't deserve.

Jock Stein had a Protestant signing policy. True Story. He reckoned if there was a good Protestant and a good Catholic, then if he took the Protestant the huns had lost two potential players, as they wouldn't sign the Tim. Genious.

manker
01-07-2007, 05:02 PM
How does the manager know if someone is a Catholic or not.

Surely it would be contrary to employment law to ask prior to offering the player a deal and hiring a PI to look into the player's past would be overkill, like.

Can Scotch people tell just by looking?

JPaul
01-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Surely it would be contrary to employment law to ask prior to offering the player a deal and hiring a PI to look into the player's past would be overkill, like.

Nope, they used to ask.

Derek Whyte had trial at both Celtic and Rangers. However someone from Ibrox phoned his Dad to ask what school he went to (obviously the name wasn't clear enough). His Dad told them to fuck off and took the lad to sign a Paradise. This is a story as related by DW himself.

When Souness took over one of the questions he asked Murray was if he could sign Catholics. Murray told him he could sign whoever he fucking wanted, so long as they were the right player for the team.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 05:13 PM
You've got to remember that CNNA (Catholics need not apply) is not that far in the past, in the West of Scotland. As is "Pets allowed. No Irish" in boarding houses.

manker
01-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Nope, they used to ask.

Derek Whyte had trial at both Celtic and Rangers. However someone from Ibrox phoned his Dad to ask what school he went to (obviously the name wasn't clear enough). His Dad told them to fuck off and took the lad to sign a Paradise. This is a story as related by DW himself.

When Souness took over one of the questions he asked Murray was if he could sign Catholics. Murray told him he could sign whoever he fucking wanted, so long as they were the right player for the team.:lol:

It all seems mad to me - the phrase that springs to mind is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Tho', I suppose the worst was over by the time I started watching football.

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 05:27 PM
When I was a kid the Catholic Protestant divide was alive and well; Manchester United was Catholic, Manchester City was Protestant; Liverpool was Catholic, Everton was Protestant.

You only have to look at the make-up of the teams, how many Scots and Irish played for Man Utd and Liverpool in the old days, compared to the number who played for City and Everton. Look at the managers too.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Liverpool was Catholic, Everton was Protestant.

You've said this before. Two chaps I was speaking to, from Liverpool, were absolutely adamant it's the other way round. In fact one was quite offended at the notion that it might be otherwise.

manker
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Liverpool was Catholic, Everton was Protestant.

You've said this before. Two chaps I was speaking to, from Liverpool, were absolutely adamant it's the other way round. In fact one was quite offended at the notion that it might be otherwise.
I'd never even heard of this religion divide in major clubs of the same English city.

I'm not saying it didn't exist, just that I'd never heard of it.

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Actually, Liverpool - Everton was a bad example, as they were both started by wealthy protestants.

Everton Football Club started life as St Domingo's Boys Club, attached to a Methodist church. Liverpool came from the same team after a falling out between the owners.

There was a time in the '50s when Everton fielded a few Irish Catholic players, and the Catholic tag stuck, but they also went on to field several Orangemen in later years.

Just to prove things have changed, there is one player who played for Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Everton ... can you name him?

Proper Bo
01-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Kanchelskis?

edit: no, he never played for liverpool

manker
01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Did Beardsley ever play for City :huh:

If so, it was him ... don't think so tho'.

I really don't know off the top of my head and I'm too cool to Google.

Proper Bo
01-07-2007, 05:53 PM
He was on loan there for 6 matches

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Did Beardsley ever play for City

He was on loan there for 6 matches

You're both correct.

manker
01-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Which player currently on Cardiff City's books has a Champions League winner's medal?

JPaul
01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Hoi, no talking about football in my slag the huns thread.

Start a football quiz thread.

manker
01-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Which player currently on Cardiff City's books has a Champions League winner's medal?
Feck, I got asked that question in the pub over xmas.

I guessed it and the bloke told me I was right.

Wiki, however, tells me that no current Cardiff City squad member has a CL medal :dabs:

JPaul
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Good result today but.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 06:18 PM
D'oh.

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Is this a trick question? Did he buy it on Ebay?

Are you thinking of Glenn Loovens, who won a UEFA Cup medal with Feyenoord?

manker
01-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Is this a trick question? Did he buy it on Ebay?

Are you thinking of Glenn Loovens, who won a UEFA Cup medal with Feyenoord?
Nah, I thought it was Phil Mulryne. So did the bloke who asked me and a few lads in the pub.

I knew Mulryne played for United at the time and figured he might have been on the bench for the final or got a medal for playing a game or three in the run up to the victory in 1999.

No mention of it on the internets during my half arsed search tho' :dabs:

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I can't even find Mulryne listed in the first team squad!

Off topic, I see the gers have appointed Walter Smith as their new manager.

JPaul
01-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Off topic ...

:lol:

JPaul
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
TBH the bookies shut the book 2 hours after it started.

manker
01-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I can't even find Mulryne listed in the first team squad!That's cos he's not in it. He's still on their books, but.

Jagarga
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
manker why don't you support your home team (cardiff lillies) instead of those cockney speaking cawk munching bar stewards?

manker
01-07-2007, 08:48 PM
manker why don't you support your home team (cardiff lillies) instead of those cockney speaking cawk munching bar stewards?
Surely a rod from the Celtic supporting Edinboro' gypsy :dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
hun, you forgot hun.

Jagarga
01-07-2007, 09:02 PM
yeah i'm german also.

Mr JP Fugley
01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
yeah i'm german also.

:O

Which explains your prediliction for bullying people off the internets.