PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office How many install times ?

digmen1
01-30-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi Guys

I have a legit copy of Microsoft Office XP.

I set up a new PC the other day and when I went to activate it I was told by MS support that I could not install it on this machine.

How many times and how many machines are you allowed to install Office on ?

Regards

Digby

peat moss
01-30-2007, 05:11 AM
New machine , yours or ? Thats why I only use the Pro version of anything better yet Pro/ Corporate . ;)

Virtualbody1234
01-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Activation and Product Licensing Policies
How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of Product Activation?

The underlying principles of Microsoft's software licenses have not changed. Microsoft's End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. Office XP or Office 2003 may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP or Office 2003 on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for Office XP or Office 2003 acquired preinstalled on a new PC are single-PC licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another PC or laptop computer. Windows XP may be installed on one PC. There are no secondary use rights (e.g. no "laptop clause") in the Windows XP EULA. The aforementioned licensing terms have not been changed due to Product Activation. Some special licensing programs (such as the Microsoft Developer Network) provide additional licensing terms. Please check your specific license agreement or EULA for specifics. Re-installation and re-activation on the same PC can be done an unlimited number of times. Pricing and licensing details are available for Windows XP and Office 2003.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

peat moss
01-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Get a student copy next time ?

What cannot be done is to install the same copy of Office on multiple computers in the house and have each person using it on different machines. You have to have a license for each machine running the application. An exception to that is the Student and Teachers Edition of Office that allows it to be installed on 3 home computers.

Better yet tell them its a laptop , problem solved .