PDA

View Full Version : Dormant Seeds!!

anak
02-05-2007, 04:35 AM
I was wondering whether my seeds are using bandwidth while essentially being 'dormant'. As of now I have 32 torrents seeding. They are all off of private trackers. It's really frustrating to have this many seeds and like none of them uploading anything. Yes there are peers. My thoughts are: maybe I have so many that they are using so much bandwidth to just connect to the tracker that there is not enough room to be easily connectible to other peers.

Also...
It's strange to see one seed have this under seeders: 0(4) and this under peers: 0(7) when really on the private tracker the torrent has 12 seeders and 1 peer! To me, having seen that my seeds can't even get all the seeders/peers sorted out, I am further convinced that maybe I have too many seeds running.

And before you ask - i'm using utorrent, i'm not downloading anything, yes the seeds actually have peers, i have protocal encryption outgoing enabled (not forced) and incoming legacy connections enabled, and finally my dslreports-tested connection speed is the usual 1717/238 (which i would give anything for that to be my actual dl speed on a well seeded torrent [yes i have downloaded the openoffice.org torrent and only got to 210kb/s...])

Submission
02-05-2007, 05:13 AM
yes your computer is leaking badly.

anak
02-05-2007, 06:56 AM
I just went on my ISP's webpage and they advertise my connection able to "Download 2mb in less than 10 seconds"... so I figured that meant at or a little above 200kbps, which I am actually getting with well-seeded torrents. They claim to have put a 128kbps upload cap, tho i max out uploading @ 32kbps...
And dslreports told me my bandwidth was 1717/238kbps!? Something is not adding up. How can my ISP's ad be right about my download, wrong about my upload, and dsl way off about both...

General2k
02-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Let me know if I am wrong here but. It could be possible that all the leechers showing up are done downloading what they want. If people pick and choose certain files to download and have some that they chose not to get they will remain as leechers until they have completed the entire torrent.
Being like that for 32 torrents is most unlikely though.

anak
02-05-2007, 09:02 AM
genera2k you're probly right about some, but that doesnt explain my second paragraph...
"It's strange to see one seed have this under seeders: 0(4) and this under peers: 0(7) when really on the private tracker the torrent has 12 seeders and 1 peer! To me, having seen that my seeds can't even get all the seeders/peers sorted out, I am further convinced that maybe I have too many seeds running."

Shadowfire
02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
1717DL/238UL kbps = 214DL/39UP kBps. With that small an amount of upload bandwidth, it's not entirely recommended for you to seed that many torrents at once, because each torrent utilizes bandwidth to announce to the tracker. The difference between tracker and uTorrent peer stats could happen between the time you last announced and the present.

Melvinmeow
02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Acctually if your using utorrent it doesnt take much extra bw if they arent in fact seeding. Every 30 minutes of so when your client announces to the tracker it will use approx 1 - 2k for about 5 seconds to announce then it will go back to dormant.

Having alot of torrents does not harm since they arent sending anything anyways. To show you I know what im talking about check the snapshot of how many files im seeding myself on just 1 site. (465)
http://tophos.org//bitbucket/seeding.JPG

As far as the numbers go...

under seeders: 0(4) and this under peers: 0(7)
The 0 (4) means you are currently connected to 0/4 possible seeders.
The 0(7) means you are currently connected to 0/7 possible leechers.
The actual number of peers could be showing higher on the site itself because in some clients when people pause the files it will still show them as leeching. Or as someone else mentioned they set it to only download certain files and not to dl the whole pack. Once they have completed the peices they wanted it would still show them as downloading it when really they are not.

anak
02-06-2007, 06:53 AM
thanks for the info, guys

1717DL/238UL kbps = 214DL/39UP kBps.
shadowfire, i've googled around in vain so i just have to ask you... what is the difference between kbps and kBps?

kopy
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I also have this problem sometimes...

Shadowfire
02-06-2007, 07:45 PM
b = bits and B = bytes. Some people don't recognize the distinction. 8 bits make up 1 byte.

Melvinmeow
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
b = bits and B = bytes. Some people don't recognize the distinction. 8 bits make up 1 byte.

Pretty much take the

1717DL/238UL kbps (Divide these totals by 8)
214DL/39UP kBps. (And you get this for an answer)

They are confusing because isps pretty much want them to be confused so when they tell you your gonna get a whoppin 560kbps you say WOW!!!! cause your thinking its 560kBps when really your only getting a measily 70 kBps. Its just a big gimmick in other words. Like when they tell you your getting 20% more in a bag of chips. Notice they dont specify more of what... im guessing they advertising the extra air they added to the bag ;)

anak
02-07-2007, 02:07 PM
so is 1 bit equal to 1 packet?
*edit* nvmd i went to howstuffworks lol a bit is a binary digit equal to either 1 or 0 and bytes are groups of 8 bits :)