PDA

View Full Version : Some Of My Files All Became Notepads

Xare
05-27-2003, 06:48 AM
Arrghh... I messed up my Counter strike files...

I was making a buy script so that it would purchase guns for me... and i accedently turned some of my files to note pads..

I dont know how to change them back Opps..

I was selecting a .cfg file and open with note pad but on this last time i forgot to uncheck The setting... Open with this everytime

Can anyone tell me how i can make them change back... i cant play when they are notepads.. it freezes the game

Ad
05-27-2003, 07:24 AM
Right click on the file go propietes then change and choose what it should open with

Xare
05-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Yea but i dont know what its supposed to be...

There is no half life or counter strike option

I was editing a .cfg file

Nightwolf
05-27-2003, 08:02 AM
The program you have associated with a certain file type in Windows doesn't have anything to do with what happens when you're playing a game. If CS is freezing when you run your scripts, it's probably because you have a bad command in it.

Incidently, my .cfg files are always 'Notepads'. It's the quickest, easiest way to access them. Same goes for .ini files.

Xare
05-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Ya i wished thats how it worked on my pc.... But its not..

I took out the script i was testing and My CS still freezes up...

I just did a full reinstall of the game and iam still having the problem..

Some of my files/extentions have change their icon and are linked to notepad now..

I have no idea how to change them back yet...

I tried to play with them like notepads but my game freezes man...

I just wannna know how to make them go back to normal.. there should be a way.. I just dont know what it is...

*cry for help*

*shrug*

Xare
05-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Funny thing is my script was working... On like my last edit of the file I forgot to Uncheck the Open this file every time button

Total stupidity on my part lol

Nightwolf
05-27-2003, 08:45 AM
If you really think that's the problem, you could always try re-associating your .cfg files to open with hl.exe (in your Half-Life directory). Hold the Shift key while you right-click on a .cfg file, then select 'Open With...'

Xare
05-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Bummer... I tried that but it didnt make the files change back to normal..

It game them a HL icon and when you click on them they would open half life lol

So i changed them back to note pad ... Gee i can do that ;)

I wish i could make them back to normal tho .... this isnt good

tommy1987
05-27-2003, 03:42 PM
if the file is named *.cfg then that is what it is, it doesnt change it in any way, just that it opens it and reads it in notepad, hence you must have edited something else or something in the cfg that it didnt like. therefore i would try re-installing CS, and if that doesnt work re-install HL

Xare
05-28-2003, 04:22 AM
Well , I somehow linked my .cfg files to note pad.... and i heard from 10 people that it shouldnt matter... and that the game will still run

So I updated my Direct X to 9.0 and i updated my video drivers to the latest..

It fixed my crashing prob with the notepads lol

I should have done those updates anyway...