PDA

View Full Version : Tcp Ip Optimizer

redemption
05-29-2003, 06:59 PM
i was wondering if anybody here has tried the tcp ip optimizer?? ive heard that it can greatly increase your download speed.....but im using windows xp and have heard off some that it has crashed their system. any1 got any experience or knowledge of this....cheers

nostalgia
05-29-2003, 07:12 PM
I used it (still doing actually) I have Windows Me and TCP/IP optimizer works great. I'm using a ADSL-lite connection (256) and before using TCP/IP my downloadspeed was approx. 25 and now it starts at 168 Kb and slowly descends to 30 Kb (normal speed because if you have an ADSL-lite version your ISP will make sure that the speed isn't faster than 256 (about 32 KB).
So give it a try, even friends of mine who are on cable benefitted from it.

CruzAzul
05-29-2003, 08:01 PM
can some one post the hash for the file plz

DarthInsinuate
05-29-2003, 10:53 PM
the effect of these kind of optimizers vary depending on how crap your connection is

but if you are a tweaking freak who demands the most out of your connection go for it

Switeck
05-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by GooY@29 May 2003 - 15:01
can some one post the hash for the file plz
www.speedguide.net has TCP/IP Optimizer
Better to download it than risk a virus from someone's infected shared directory...
Plus this way you can get it from the source!

I use extreme settings on mine, although anyone else probably should use the setting appropriate for their connection type.

Tweaking the MTU values beyond what's already set can help further too -- but it's a difficult process left for experts. :D

On Win 95/98/98SE/ME, you'll need to reduce the number of connections per server type in TCP/IP Optimizer to only about 2-10. Otherwise, opening 5 or more web pages at once may crash your operating system! This is magnified by running Kazaa Lite++ at the same time, because it also has to open connections.

oldjagman
05-30-2003, 04:55 AM
Tried it on 576k dsl PPPoA in the UK, windows XP and found it actually slowed me down but I have got a rather nice ISP with low contention and a cheap price.

By the way - if you have conexant access runner and dsl lite try changing the modulation in line set-up to ANSI T1.413i2. It might be cheating but it works for me.

Downloading is fun, sharing is sublime :rolleyes:

Switeck
05-30-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by oldjagman@29 May 2003 - 23:55
Tried it on 576k dsl PPPoA in the UK, windows XP and found it actually slowed me down but I have got a rather nice ISP with low contention and a cheap price.
Did you change the MTU values from their original amounts?

If set too high, EVERY large packet your connection sends becomes lost.

If set too low, far more ip packet overhead is needed for every kilobyte of data sent out.

oldjagman
05-30-2003, 05:12 AM
Yup, tested the MTU and it worked fine, no fragmenting at all

Switeck
05-30-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by oldjagman@30 May 2003 - 00:12
Yup, tested the MTU and it worked fine, no fragmenting at all
I don't know then why it would slow your connection down -- although the change might be so small as to be inconsequential. Win XP is pretty well optimized for broadband internet connections.

It's the older Windows OSes that really need this: Win 95, 98, and ME.

I have Win 98SE, and it roughly doubled my cablemodem's download speed from ~80 KB/sec max to ~160 KB/sec sustained. (1.5 Mbps cablemodem)

redemption
05-31-2003, 01:34 AM
Well i changed the mtu settings and allso 2 extreme, it didnt seem 2 change my download speed at all, dl still doesnt exceed 50kbps 4 some reason, and am runnin a cable connecton (the 1mg) so it looks like its back 2 the drawing board 4 me. i did hear of people clicking the + next 2 the file u r dling and when it opens up the other peolpe u r downloading off u right click the file that has 0.00kbps then search more users and it should boot your dls .....but didnt do anything 4 me. must have a cursed laptop :angry:

oldjagman
06-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Hate to say this but I've tried most of the speed up tips and I still chug along at anything from 0 to 60 Kbps.

It all seems to depend on the number of files available, the bandwidth of the owners, how many people are trying to get the same thing and (probably) the weather.

I'm off now to listen to my Abba collection with a nice cup of cocoa!

Wizzandabe
06-04-2003, 08:20 PM
now im being serous now, i have use this and istesd of boosting my speed it made it slower.

Switeck
06-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Have those of you which are seeing slowdowns making sure to reduce the number of allowed server connections at once in TCP/IP Optimizer?

The speed changes are noticeable mostly on downloading from FAST websites -- Kazaa's too unpredictable to use it as a measuring stick except maybe for upload speeds. Also, those uploads can really cripple download speeds -- some DSL lines have shared upload and download bandwidth, which means if you're uploading fast your download speeds are 1/10th normal max speed at best. Even cablemodems are slowed by too-fast uploads, because they usually have tiny upload speeds compaired to their max download speeds.

But in the long run, if you're only uploading at ~14 KB/sec -- how do you think it's possible for everyone to download faster than that if it's all split semi-evenly?