PDA

View Full Version : Cable Descramblers

Twist3r
05-30-2003, 01:01 AM
All the descramblers so far i have seen REPLACE cable boxes for example:

The Viewmaster 4000+ Universal Replaces:
Jerrold/General Instruments All units except CFT models or Digital (DCT)

Pioneer All units except BA 9000 and up

Scientific Atlanta All units except the 8610x or Digital (Explorer 2000, 3000)

Tocom (See the Tocom Viewmaster)

Zenith All units except PM and PZ models

Oak All units except Sigma

Eagle All units

but my cable doesnt have a box just a wire comming down from a pole into my house. Can i still get one to descramble PPV HBO and other premium pay channels even tho i dont have a box allready?

PS my company is US Cable

3RA1N1AC
05-30-2003, 10:49 AM
yes. if you are only subscribing to basic cable, you may not receive a tuner box from the cable company because most TVs from the past 10-15 years are "cable ready" (capable of tuning cable).

if you were to subscribe to premium movie channels, you would need a cable box because a cable ready TV is not enough. that's what a descrambler replaces. one would need to find out which brand of cable boxes the company issues to customers, to make sure that the descrambler is compatible with the system.

you should not be surprised, though, if buying a descrambler turns out to be a waste of money because:
1) cable companies are moving all of the "good channels" to their digital cable services, which old fashioned descramblers cannot handle.
2) the "surge" is real. cable companies regularly send a power surge down the line nowadays, to clean the connections, and this also has the effect of damaging many descramblers.

Terminal Boredom
05-30-2003, 08:51 PM
If you have analog cable it is relatively easy to descamble the signal, though time consuming. What is done is called white sync supression. at the end of the NTSC signal is a large negative going pulse that the tv syncs on to start a new line. The box uses the data channels to reconstruct the sync pulse. If you have a sync generator you can mix it into a t into the set and adjust the freq. until the channel stops rolling. Its pretty easy to build a sync gen, but takes forever to sync it up.

Twist3r
05-30-2003, 09:20 PM
thx guys :D

balamm
05-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

balamm
05-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

technonrgkid
06-02-2003, 04:00 AM
speakin of this topic, are there any descramblers for a tv tuner card on your pc? or a way to tune your computer after installing a tv capture card? I know some pc geeks know how to do some sh*t to there pc to get all ppv channels. :o

balamm
06-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Mark Twain

technonrgkid
06-02-2003, 09:18 AM
hey, dont take that offensive, im one of the biggest geeks for computers you could ever know. :P

Terminal Boredom
06-03-2003, 06:03 AM
If you live in some of the southern states the box may work. They use Litch encoding, but of an old standard (re 1984-88). This encoding uses a data channel below the viewable portion (lines 15-115) to encode the scrambling pattern. Most of the urban areas upgraded years ago.