PDA

View Full Version : A novel idea?

MediaSlayer
03-24-2007, 10:14 AM
In light of this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/lounge/t-ideas-167369) thread, I wanted to propose something.

What if we came up with a mutually agreed standard for aliases? Could that work?

Cheese
03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
About 80% of the forum are manker/JP sock puppets. I myself am actually one of manker's alternative accounts.

Mathea
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Sounds like some weird creepy incenstuous ghostnicking has occurred

MediaSlayer
03-24-2007, 10:28 AM
80% of the lounge or 80% of the rest of the forum?

I can't distinguish against you're (i'm talking to you, manker) many different english personalities/aliases if you do have them, but there *seem* to be some truly unique members from *my* vantage point, such as lilmiss,adster,busyman,j2k4,biggles,ect...

but getting back to the idea, couldn't we just lay down some etiquette? because i dont know about you, but pm'ing with someone who i think is female, and finding out it is a male, is rather unpleasant from this end.

just some simple guidlines like:

IF i use a clone THEN i'll tell you in pm before i ever let use the clone so you'll know ahead of time IF i know you well enough to trust you..

or something along those lines

Cheese
03-24-2007, 10:36 AM

I can't distinguish against you're (i'm talking to you, manker) many different english personalities/aliases if you do have them, but there *seem* to be some truly unique members from *my* vantage point, such as lilmiss,adster,busyman,j2k4,biggles,ect...

but getting back to the idea, couldn't we just lay down some etiquette? because i dont know about you, but pm'ing with someone who i think is female, and finding out it is a male, is rather unpleasant from this end.

IF i use a clone THEN i'll tell you in pm before i ever let use the clone so you'll know ahead of time IF i know you well enough to trust you..

Are you suggesting that if I decide to make a new account that I PM everyone with my A/S/L on the off-chance that they want to cyber?

I'm a hawt 29 year old with big woman bumps btw. :inlove:

JPaul
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Why does it matter, deal with people as you find them. You don't need your preconceived ideas before you read what someone writes.

It would be like, having an open mind before you read something.

Mathea
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
sounds totally reasonable to me:unsure:

Adster
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
what if mathea is a guy :o

Alien5
03-24-2007, 10:46 AM
ok i'll start...

Mathea alias: notadster :shifty:

Adster alias: notmathea.

JPaul
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
sounds totally reasonable to me:unsure:

What does, hippie.

Mathea
03-24-2007, 10:48 AM
everything

MediaSlayer
03-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Are you suggesting that if I decide to make a new account that I PM everyone with my A/S/L on the off-chance that they want to cyber?

not for that reason. so you won't accidentally flame a good friend.

and also, if you create alot of really good aliases, and are really good at being those aliases, wouldn't it be possible to be too good at it one day, and start acting like that in real life?

like someone walks up to you and starts talking to you and you bust out with "yeah manker's aight i think he told me he's got this new job he had applied for.."

i mean yeah it's cool and funny but dont' you ever get confused about how your different personalities should act toward each other and the rest of the world? you must be one of those mad genius types maybe? or is it no one pays attention enough to notice the discrepancies.

@jpaul- i dont' totally disagree with that. i'll sleep on it, and get back to one of you. preferable the one that likes me most! :)

if he exists

Mathea
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM

and also, if you create alot of really good aliases, and are really good at [i]being[/] those aliases, wouldn't it be possible to be too good at it one day, and start acting like that in real life?

like someone walks up to you and starts talking to you and you bust out with "yeah manker's aight i think he told me he's got this new job he had applied for.." i mean yeah it's cool and funny but dont' you ever get confused about how your different personalities should act toward each other and the rest of the world? you must be one of those mad genius types maybe? or is it no one pays attention enough to notice the discrepancies.

@jpaul- i dont' totally disagree with that. i'll sleep on it, and get back to one of you. preferable the one that likes me most! :)

if he exists
:o :angry: manker told me he didnt get the job and was keeping his old one

and that cheese and him had reconciled their body and were now whole

youve ruined my life MediaSlayer good going

Everything i believed in was a lie.

manker
03-24-2007, 10:57 AM

I find it really easy to tell when someone adopts an alternative ID. Just look out for the unique grammar nuances - everyone has got them, even me :o

Posting style is another dead-givaway.

If you want to cyber with a member that has a vaguely feminine name but you need an explicit PM to tell you that 'she' is actually a regular member using a different handle, then you should probably stick to licking windows.

Adster
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
hey it took 2 months before I got caught out with this account..
it was BOTs genius that worked it out

Mathea
03-24-2007, 11:00 AM

I find it really easy to tell when someone adopts an alternative ID. Just look out for the unique grammar nuances - everyone has got them, even me :o

If you want to cyber with a member that has a vaguely feminine name but you need an explicit PM to tell you that 'she' is actually a regular member using a different handle, then you should probably stick to licking windows.

:lol:

Tho would be funnier CHEESE if you weren't a liar and a thief. I bet your ladyfriend isn't even really a crab. WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME?!?!?!?!

manker
03-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Tho would be funnier CHEESE if you weren't a liar and a thief. I bet your ladyfriend isn't even really a crab. WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME?!?!?!?!
:naughty:

One thing that neither of us knew, until just now, is that me, my missus and a couple of friends are driving down to Plymouth to meet me and my girlfriend for a cosy sixsome involving drinking dens and arm wrestling.

MediaSlayer
03-24-2007, 11:05 AM

my bad, i wasn't clear enough about the pm thing to begin with.

I didn't mean a sexual pm, i meant even a regualar, ordinary pm. I don't speak the same way to a female in pm as I would a male. Not much difference, but there is some difference.

posting style/grammatical tendencies:

there are a bunch that i've noticed. but the one i notice more is-

imho,
jp uses "like" in a unique way, that i(think) i can recognize most of the time not to mention the flow of ideas that's also noticeable

Mathea
03-24-2007, 11:05 AM

One thing that neither of us knew, until just now, is that me, my missus and a couple of friends are driving down to Plymouth to meet me and my girlfriend for a cosy sixsome involving drinking dens and arm wrestling.
Tell me at least one half of you owns a camera

JPaul
03-24-2007, 11:09 AM

You post monosyllabic drivel, which few people read. How or why would anyone "catch you out".

Cheese
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM

Our new flat is on the same street as the Jack Bauer-hour drinking den. :happy:

Mathea
03-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Our new flat is on the same street as the Jack Bauer-hour drinking den. :happy:

:w00t:

Wait. Unless ofc you are ALL the same person, then there will be no one to take the pictures....

If 1, I hate you all
If not, :wub:

JPaul
03-24-2007, 11:13 AM

If someone is talking pish, tell them so. Whether they are a "good friend" or not.

Judge the posts, not the poster.

Likewise if someone makes a good, witty, helpful or whatever post, acknowledge that. Or are you part of a heard and have to support other heard members and defend them against members of another heard.

{I love schoolboy errors, but I usually let them slide quite quickly}

manker
03-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Tell me at least one half of you owns a camera
Will be taking the camera this time. Got batteries and everything :01:

Mathea
03-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Adster
03-24-2007, 11:19 AM

You post monosyllabic drivel, which few people read. How or why would anyone "catch you out".

actually no for the first 2 months I was posting normal constructive posts when my identity was caught out it was time to go back to my drivel spamage

Cheese
03-24-2007, 11:21 AM

actually no for the first 2 months I was posting normal constructive posts when my identity was caught out it was time to go back to my drivel spamage

Cunning. I think if I made a new account that was nice to people and had worser spelling and grammar than me that I'd be able to get away with for a month or so.

JPaul
03-24-2007, 11:22 AM

You say that as if it makes you proud.

"I can post sensible, useful, constructive things. However I chose to post shite. Wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a brain or anything."

MediaSlayer
03-24-2007, 11:23 AM

If someone is talking pish, tell them so. Whether they are a "good friend" or not.

Judge the posts, not the poster.

ah, one small problem though. won't you have more patience with someone you know, as opposed to someone who you don't?

but i do see your point, it is valid i'm not saying it isn't.

quote> Likewise if someone makes a good, witty, helpful or whatever post, acknowledge that. Or are you part of a heard and have to support other heard members and defend them against members of another heard

i was never a part of any heard, if you're referring to the "in crowd" here in the lounge, that i know of i was always railing against the "establishment" wasn't I? i was refering to just that kind of ugly favortism

show me three lists that i was ever included on

JPaul
03-24-2007, 11:28 AM
It's not about lists, or perceptions which others have. It's about the reality of relationships people form.

Some arse creating a list which includes manker, barbie, cheese and whoever else they decide is their perception.

Less lists, more taking things as you find them.

And on the bombshell I'm going for the big shop.

Adster
03-24-2007, 11:30 AM

You say that as if it makes you proud.

"I can post sensible, useful, constructive things. However I chose to post shite. Wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a brain or anything."

took the words out of my mouth

Snee
03-24-2007, 10:23 PM
It's been a long time since I had an alter ego on here. And I can't remember Tu Quoque's pass any more (my latest one).

And anyways, telling people probably defeats the purpose of making one.

thewizeard
03-25-2007, 12:16 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-welcome-back-ukman-post1855781/postcount36

talking of "novels"... I really meant to write a short story, not a novel. However, this thread seems to me more "on topic", so I will continue the story of "The Black Diamond"in this thread, but first :slap: ... I nearly forgot..some beer and a smoke... :guinesssm

Check this thread too (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/the-drawing-room/t-synchronicity-164575)

In this thread you will find it! You will have to search very carefully indeed.... (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/funny-stuff/t-t-koffieshop-dutch-109468#post1846399)

Snee
03-25-2007, 12:17 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/lounge/t-a-novel-idea-167402

MediaSlayer
03-25-2007, 03:28 AM
It's been a long time since I had an alter ego on here.

wERe they malicious or benevolent? :unsure:

Good point.

However, one purpose to make one(for some) could be to flame someone without losing favor with the other members who don't know who's doing the flaming.

That's not to say I'm totally against it, there seems to be some advantages/disadvantages to both sides. All I was saying to begin with, is some kind of consensus could be reached on what is ok and not ok with regard to the extra nicks and how they behave.

JPaul
03-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Good point.

However, one purpose to make one(for some) could be to flame someone without losing favor with the other members who don't know who's doing the flaming.

That's not to say I'm totally against it, there seems to be some advantages/disadvantages to both sides. All I was saying to begin with, is some kind of consensus could be reached on what is ok and not ok with regard to the extra nicks and how they behave.

To paraphrase Les, from the Drawing Room. You can't really have an Anarchy Party, it sort of defeats the purpose.

re your other point in relation to creating another character simply to troll. I couldn't agree more, I have seen it happen and it really is pathetic. It's an entirely different thing from doing it for comedic effect.

That's just our opinion tho'.

MediaSlayer
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
re your other point in relation to creating another character simply to troll. I couldn't agree more, I have seen it happen and it really is pathetic. It's an entirely different thing from doing it for comedic effect.

overall, i'm split about 60/40 against them atm. It would be more like 80/20 but you raised some good points in favor of them, and also I thought of one final advantage(of the aliases). If the forum ever lost so many members that the lounge actually got really dead and quiet for days at a time, it would naturally be alot more enjoyable for the few people left to have lots of different "people" to talk to.

Snee
03-25-2007, 03:18 PM
The last one just plain rawked. Everyone thought so. Especially manker.

Agrajag
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Was the the Two Cawks, WAHEY chap.

Snee
03-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Link :blink:

Agrajag
03-25-2007, 04:31 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-a-novel-idea-post1857515/postcount32

Snee
03-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh, you meant mine.

No, it wasn't The's alter ego, obviously.