PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Partition Possible To Install Windows

liquidacid
05-30-2003, 08:58 PM
What is the smallest size of HD partition that Windows XP and 2000 can be installed onto without potentially hampering performance.

Ideally i'd like to split my current 6 GB Windows partition, which currently holds XP, and install the two as a dual boot.

balamm
05-30-2003, 09:03 PM
About 2 gig minimum for each full OS but thats just the install, no service packs or software installed. You have to have a minimum 15% free space for defrag to run as well. You might get away with two 3's if you keep it clean and defrag regularly.

shn
05-31-2003, 02:22 AM
:lol: Your a complete moron for 2 reasons:

1. who the hell would still be using a 6 gig drive in this day and age?
I dont care if its a laptop or a desktop, get a new harddrive you cheapskate

2. For even pondering such an action as to do a dual boot on a 6 gig drive, let me guess, next your gonna tell us you have only 640k of ram and the program your tryna run needs a gig........lol, get brain moron. :lol:

balamm
05-31-2003, 02:31 AM
I think it's easy to see who the REAL moron is here!

I know a lot of people who still run windows on a 3 gig drive. And I'm sure some still run other platforms on even less than that.

Like Linux(Which you appear to advocate) on a Ram Drive you clueless TWIT!

Please though, toss out your old 40 gig drive and buy the latest, most heavilly marketed, over priced device. Hopefully someone who Favours tinkering conservatively will benefit from your stupidity!

shn
05-31-2003, 02:36 AM
My 2 scsi drives told me to tell you "quit suckin bill gates dick and stop tryna earn brownie points from the billion dollar boys club" :D

and just for the record there is embedded linux that runs off flash memory, but that has nothing to do with what this idiot was asking. And if you know people running anything on a 3 gig drive or 6 then I suggest you disassociate yourself of youll become more of a dufus then you already are..................loser :lol:

balamm
05-31-2003, 02:42 AM
They talk to you do they? hehehe ok Son, No psyhciatric help where you are?

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-31-2003, 03:49 AM
He is a complete idiot.
He's probably using the computer his mommy bought for him. :lol:
I have my OS installed on a 4 gig HD by choice and run another HD more to his likeing.
All I have on the 4 giger is the OS and a few other programs that run better when installed on a C drive.
Result:a much quicker OS than if it had been installed on my :lol: oooooo much larger hard drive.
You know dude,you should just bail on this place because with that attitude I don't think you'll find to many people that will want to deal with you and your modern Mommy bought computer. ;)
Is the computer still covered under warranty....you know,for tech help
I bet your running AOL and Bonzi Buddy or some shit.
Btw does that Bonzi Buddy work pretty good?http://www.csd.uch.gr/~mstamat/images/bonzisurf.gif
I hear there's an upgrade http://www.bonzi.com/

Nightwolf
05-31-2003, 04:57 AM
:ignoring the troll:

liquidacid, you say you have a 6 GB XP partition? I assume you have either another partition or a second hard drive, otherwise with two OS's you won't have much room left to install any other software. If you do have more disk space, you may be able to use Partition Magic to resize your existing partitions or create a new one for Windows 2000. If 6 GB is all you have, I recommend going to Pricewatch.com and buying a new one. :)

liquidacid
05-31-2003, 05:33 AM
One word:- PARTITION.

Where did i mention i had a 6 GB HD???

In fact, i have a 80 gb Maxtor, but run windows from the 6GB partition. That leaves me my 30 GB for program files and 44 GB for media.

So who's the moron??????

THANKYOU Balamm and Nightwolf.

Supernode
05-31-2003, 07:44 AM
I got my winxp on a 3gig partition. And with smalest clustersize.
Programs I have on another partition .
I have to defrag often but it runs like hell.
I have put my tempfiles and internetcache on another partition as well, you can do this with some tweakers.
C:/ dont seems to grow alot.
I understod your question at once,-shn, you dont have to answer questions that you dont understand, the have total controll on this forum without your ignorance.

liquidacid
05-31-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks Supernode. This is exactly what i wanted to hear, and expected too, just wanted to run it by this board first.

shn, and ShockAndAwe. I'm not going to waste my life by arguing with complete strangers. Really though, what's the point of name calling? It suggests you are both very young, and very immature!

For your information, i actually have a 6 GB Hard Drive, it's 6 years old and very slow so i don't use it. Same goes for my old 3 year old 30 GB. I use them only to back up.

Now, i'm off to the pub to meet my girlfriend.

Kids, flame all you like. It's your life, waste it if you want.

balamm
05-31-2003, 07:57 PM
Liquid,

Shock was referring to THE idiot. He was speaking in your defense and also runs his OS on a smaller partition.

Wizzandabe
05-31-2003, 09:01 PM
well 2000 you could stick that on a 900mb partition, xp probally fit on a 1.5gb. no sp or anythin else. you need some spare space.

shn
06-01-2003, 04:00 AM
I have 6 boxes in my room right now including 2 laptops, one of them an alienware with a 3gig processor. Your right my mom and dad bought all this for me, including my car and my trust fund and god knows what else. Im a spoiled 23 year brat that has a b.a. in computer science and I still choose to sponge off my parents and lounge in our 2 million dollar home "rent free". Im very sorry you cant be as priveleged as me. On the other hand Im not sorry, with the money my parents are forced to pay in taxes every year to support poor blue collar white trash like you and your family with goverment aid, I could have had a lot more than what I have. So screw you, you democratic poor, uneducated, vagabong peice of shit!!!

balamm
06-01-2003, 05:41 AM
It's unfortunate your teachers and psychologists weren't as dedicated as your parents lol.

yer spellun sucs and so dus your atatood!

I suspect if you have any type of accreditation, it was only to get Rid of you!

Regardless, you appear to be socially disfunctional and quite unemployable BY CHOICE and therefore absolutely worthless to the rest of society.

Please go play with your toys now junior, the rest of us have adult things to do.

Wenn Ihre Intelligenz qoutient zu Ihrem Alter aufholt, dann werde ich mich sorgen.

balamm
06-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by shn@1 June 2003 - 05:00
  Im a spoiled 23 year brat that has a b.a. in computer science

The only people that should be banned are the people who get on kazaa and change the filenames of a movie to something its not, with avi preview its almost impossible to download a 600 meg file for days without being able to really see what it is, so who do these idiots think their fooling? It's pointless and I say we should take action. And for those who dont have avi preview and have been bamboozled into getting a file with a differnet name, if you decide to keep it in your shared folder then its your responsiblity to change the file name to what it really is. And to all you fake file junkies out there getting your kicks evertime a new movie comes out, renaming a file to the name of that new movie I say this................."why do you play childish games like that? Do you realize this stuff is a privelege, it aint a damn joke. Pretty soon the f.b.i. and the riaa are going to sue bigtime and have all this illegal. That means your isp wont allow you to do this type of stuff. And instead of enjoying this while it last your meesing it up for everybody else. Get a life."

More gems of wisdom from the Master of B.S. errrr...... I ,mean B.A. (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=Search&nav=lv&CODE=show&searchid=1a14d910773b5a5382e5bf15e6fbd707&search_in=posts&result_type=posts)

Bender
06-01-2003, 11:05 AM
@ shn: Stop insulting people, and look in your inbox in a few minutes.
In the meanwhile, have a look at the K-Lite Forum Rules (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=15237&s=).

@ The others: Please ignore him. ;)

Neil__
06-01-2003, 02:06 PM
yeah shn.
and you forgot to mention that your a 6ft 6in scandinavian looking blonde god like love machine with rippling muscles and 12in dick.

leave this shit for the kiddie chat rooms theyre used to sad flabby middle aged dossers wit a pentium 166
pretending to be something they so blatantly are NOT.

shn
06-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by balamm@1 June 2003 - 05:41
It's unfortunate your teachers and psychologists weren't as dedicated as your parents lol.

yer spellun sucs and so dus your atatood!

I suspect if you have any type of accreditation, it was only to get Rid of you!

Regardless, you appear to be socially disfunctional and quite unemployable BY CHOICE and therefore absolutely worthless to the rest of society.

Please go play with your toys now junior, the rest of us have adult things to do.

Wenn Ihre Intelligenz qoutient zu Ihrem Alter aufholt, dann werde ich mich sorgen.
"If your intelligence catches up to your age I will worry myself" Well it least I know of one class I didnt flunk in college...............the translation of chickenscratch! Next time speak english, youll gain a lot more respect that way. Anyway, Im not going to waste my time arguing with you guys in cyberspace. So on account of that I think it would be prudent if you ended this childish game right now instead of keeping it going. And moderator, please dont excercise your job so onesidingly, Im not the only one "insulting" people here. Nevertheless, I really dont need someone going behind me wiping my ass every five minutes and quoting my past and previous post in this forum. At least when I initially posted a comment I did stick to the subject matter at hand. It was only when someone decided to go off the topic and post things that really had nothing to do with the initial topic, thus, causing everyone else to do the same. So in the near future mr. moderator, the next time you send a p.m. stipulating that a particular person is insulting someone or a group of people for that matter, make sure you forward that p.m. to all the parties involved. It takes two or three or four to tango. And please dont post a reply to what I just posted. Everyone has said what they had to say. And moderator, If you have any degree of professionalism whatsoever, I would ask that this topic be locked or closed. Thank you.

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-01-2003, 08:13 PM
I can't fucking stand people that judge you or your age and don't know shit about you.
Your judgement of me"Liquid Acid"(btw that name suggests your a 16 year old drug taking hippie) couldn't be more wrong.
I let into him because it was one of his first posts in the forum and it was rude and condescending.
Also it wasn't very helpful to YOU or anybody else.
Asshole!......What does that suggest?
What I seem to be reading hear is a contest to show who's the smartest and the most condescending.
What's all this condescending bull shit I'm reading here in SoftwareWorld???
This is the type of condescending bull shit that I only thought was available in "Ongoing war with Iraq" threads.
Yeah that's right...I use regular English.
Instead of muddying up the waters with long words and trivial one upmanship.
What a bunch of crap!
God damned condescension is ruining this forum!

btw I clicked that link Balamm and his wisdom is there for all to see.
Norton products are crap?

liquidacid
06-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks wizzandabe.

I can't fucking stand people that judge you or your age and don't know shit about you.
Your judgement of me"Liquid Acid"(btw that name suggests your a 16 year old drug taking hippie) couldn't be more wrong.
I let into him because it was one of his first posts in the forum and it was rude and condescending.
Also it wasn't very helpful to YOU or anybody else.
Asshole!......What does that suggest?
What I seem to be reading hear is a contest to show who's the smartest and the most condescending.
What's all this condescending bull shit I'm reading here in SoftwareWorld???
This is the type of condescending bull shit that I only thought was available in "Ongoing war with Iraq" threads.
Yeah that's right...I use regular English.
Instead of muddying up the waters with long words and trivial one upmanship.
What a bunch of crap!
God damned condescension is ruining this forum!

Crikey!!! You're a bit on edge, aren't you!

OK. I didn't judge you. Rather, i pointed out that name calling suggests that you are immature. If i were to judge you then i'd probably suggest that you have poor social skills, an attitude problem, and an inferiority complex.

You feel that you have been condescended, that condesension is ruining this board! Why so? I only said that name calling is immature! Why do you find this patronising?
If anything may ruin this board, surely it will be foul mouthed, abusive, antagonistic posters like yourself.

My name? Well i'm a Kruder and Dorfmeister fan who has, yes, taken drugs :o Sorry if this troubles you..... Oh, and i wish i was 16 again, and a hippy!!!

shn. You entered this thread calling me an idiot and a moron, because you misunderstood a simple question. Now you go on the defensive?!?