PDA

View Full Version : Mmorpgs

RedRival
05-31-2003, 04:56 AM
We should have a MMORPG thread like this. All we talk about in Gameworld is corrupt files and mirrors for downloading files. Now, we can discuss about anything relating to MMORPG here :D. Thus, I'm announcing the official opening of this thread in klboard's gameworld forum!

I'm making a jumpstart. I'm 16 and have totally no allowance from my parents and I don't work. So, let's discuss about free MMORPGs that are in beta.

What you can do in this thread is list URLs for working MMORPGs that are currently online and playable, and hopefully not p2p yet so people like me can play free of charge :D. If you can, briefly describe the content of the game and a rating would do good as well.

I'm making a start here:
And this games are in beta.

1) POQ - Prince of Qin Online (http://poq.khabal.com)
Yep a replica of diablo only set in the ancient times of china. You know plot assasination attempts against the king and all. You have to lvl up killing mobs etc so on so forth.

2) Second Life (http://www.secondlife.com)
Looks to me like the genre falling under online life simulation. Haven't played it coz wasn't very happy with what I saw. Imagine a full 3D landcape + characters + textures and everything else and the game is only 11mb.

3) LOTR: TCG Online (http://lotrtcg.decipher.com/)
No interest in this but I found it useful for those you fancy playing trading card games such as magic etc.

Remember all this games are currently free because they are in beta. Can't promise you smooth gameplay.

itykii
05-31-2003, 07:38 AM
---

I've tried out about every online game there is...pay to play and free and beta..

PristonTale jsut had an update, new classes and such. www.pristonetale.com I think..

It's in beta, and is based out of Korea, if I remember right.
They did charge for the beta for a while, but I think it's free now.

----

Honestly, I don't feel very much satisfation playing beta games.
...knowing that my character will be deleted gets to me.
..feels pointless.

---

If you're truly into mmorpgs, I would suggest coughing up enough money to get a mass market one.(or get the grandparents to pay*cough*)
Or at least one that's not a beta.
Not that there aren't good free ones - but in all the years that I've played mmorpgs, I've had the most fun with pay to play ones.
They are more reliable, have updates, more people, etc. etc.

Most recently I bought Shadowbane. Seems fun so far, but have yet to get out of newbiehood.

---

Maybe it's just me, but if you really can't afford a pay to play mmorpg, you might try a MUD.
A MUD is a text based game, usually without any visuals.
MUDS are not for the hyperactive teenager - they can't seem to understand the point.
Though I can assure you, MUDS can be just as fun as a mass market mmorpg, if you find a good one, with good people.
www.veraxin.net/revelation was a fun, somewhat graphical mud..
www.mudconnector.com has a huge listing.

---

Currently I'm in the beta for Starwars Galaxies - I must say that the character creation process is the most advanced I have ever seen.
You can adjust cheek, jaw, nose length, weight, height, muscles, facial hair, eyebrows, etc.
It's truly amazing.

The gameplay is starwars completely, even down to the sound of the lasers. The music. Everything.
And to one who couldn't tell you the difference between a Corelian Space Frigate and that falcon ship, it can get a little..overwhelming.
Not that I didn't like star wars, but..you'll see if you play. Maybe it's just not my thing.

---

Ultima Online, Everquest, Asherons Call, AC 2, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot...and their repsective expansions.

I've played them all extensively.

They are all pay to play, usually charging ten dollars a month, not inclusing the cost of the actual game.

They are all fun, in their own way. In DAoC I had the biggest thrill, charging with my guild, storming keeps and towers.
UO was one of my favorites. One of the first mmorpgs, it has stood the test of time. Now though, they're changing everything every other patch..
EQ - It was fun for the most part, untill you realize all the things wrong with it.

---

I know I didn't really help you very much, as I'm not really into betas..
My suggestion would be to go to stratics.com, and look at their beta list.
It lists most betas that are either open, or have sign ups.

---

Hope I helped in a little way.
If you have any questions, don't be shy.

RedRival
05-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by itykii@31 May 2003 - 08:38

PristonTale jsut had an update, new classes and such. www.pristonetale.com I think..

It's in beta, and is based out of Korea, if I remember right.
They did charge for the beta for a while, but I think it's free now.

The gameplay is starwars completely, even down to the sound of the lasers. The music. Everything.
And to one who couldn't tell you the difference between a Corelian Space Frigate and that falcon ship, it can get a little..overwhelming.
Not that I didn't like star wars, but..you'll see if you play. Maybe it's just not my thing.

Wow, thanks for the very detailed FAQ you wrote. Very much appreciated.

I played Priston Tale during 2002. Had a lvl 42 fighter and a lvl 41 Pikeman that my friend gave me. Had attentions to pump this characters further but PT started charging to play their beta. So I left. Yep seems like now its back and the very much anticpated tribe, Morion has been included in this beta as well.

I tried logging in my old account on the official website and it worked. Looks like I can continue my Tempskron characters afterall :D. But definitely need to spare some time to try out the new characters as well.

I remember signing up for the Star Wars MMORPG but I couldn't remember whether I got accepted because I signed up during when I was still high on PT, so I probably forgot all about it. Anyhow, it's closed beta...

Yes, I admit that there is not much you should put in a beta mmorpg since characters are soon to be deleted anyways when the game goes p2p. But I don't own a credit card and I live in Aus so it's almost impossible for me to buy "game credits" or "3d cards" in computer stores. My parents would most definitely not allow me to use their credit card just for me to play games and neglect my homework or what not...

I played "Dark Ages" before which was p2p when I used to live in Singapore because I lived next to a comic store selling game credits for the game. I could afford that and didn't have to let anyone know that my game was p2p :P. Thanks again for the info... :lol:

TNTIcemanTNT
05-31-2003, 10:11 AM
I have also played a large range of online games, the monthly-paybable ones possible because my dad plays them as well. Id say the most higest one that has sucked up 3 yrs of my life is Everquest. I own a lvl 60 Iksar Warrior, 65 Elven Cleric, 65 Half Elven Mage, a 58 human Bard. However my dad has taken on these and I dont really play it anymore. I used to mainly play Rebasiz Rebel on Lanys T'vyl. I have played the Diablos, Dungion Shield, and many other games on the net which are also quite fun temporarily.I have not played AO or DAoC as I have hjeard some of the appauling reviews of them , and really in terms of MMPORG games Everquest is the TopDog.
Among shooters I beleive RTcW is the best, with CS also being very good. I prefer RTcw though because of the immense replay value. I cant really think o any others off my head now. I just casully play online shooters which i tend to be good at such as Vietcong and a few others. I also enjjoy the odd RTS such as Rise of Nations and love CM$ to bits, especially over a network game.
TNTIcemanTNT

carbert
05-31-2003, 11:09 AM
Does anyone play Legend Of Mir (http://www.legendofmir.net) ?
It will be a pay game evntually, but it is not hard to find private servers that are free. It's an addictive game, and one of my friends is trying to set up his own server (quite easy actually), so there is some future in it.

Xilo
05-31-2003, 03:50 PM
If you ever wanted to try out the largest MMORPG or once played but stopped because you didn't want to pay to play, you can now enjoy the game for free.  The EQEMU project has finally reached a level of maturity that allows the majority of features in the game to be played, and Sony has released the original game as a free download. 

It's all 100% free and 100% legal  :D

To try it:

First get the free download of EQ Classic HERE. (ftp://eqftp.station.sony.com/eqfull.exe) (NOTE: It's 450MB!)  Install it.

Second, register at the EQEMU forum to create your login account HERE. (http://forums.eqemu.net/profile.php?mode=register)  You'll need to use an email address other than Yahoo, Hotmail, or Excite - they banned those due to spamming.  I think MSN accounts made through Hotmail still work, though.  It's a good idea to read the documentation on the EQEMU Home Page. (http://www.eqemu.com)

Third, download the EQEMU Patcher from SOURCEFORGE (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/eqemu/EQEmuPatcher.exe?download) and install it.  It MUST be installed in the same folder as you did Everquest.

Run the EQEMU patcher, and click the "Start Everquest" checkbox.  Log into the server with your forum username and password.  Then choose your server, and you are all set.

With the free version, the graphics are primitive - they're using DX7 and are circa 1995.  More demanding users will want to somehow aquire the Shadows of Luclin expansion, which upgrades the graphics to modern DX8 standards (and possibly the other expansions as well if you want more gameplay options).

Enjoy!!

RedRival
06-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I took a shortbreak from the boards because I was playing PT (Priston Tale), unfortunately, I got banned for trying out a hack, which I had kindly reported to the admins thereafter. Hope they unban me soon, because I'm not ready to lose a lvl 45 character with spec items :( .

INteresting to see you can play EQ for free now. I haven't actually played it before. Thanks again for the helpful links. :lol: