PDA

View Full Version : tivo or dvr?

snowultra
04-02-2007, 10:37 PM
whose got what? i got tivo, and i love it, but it cost a little more than dvr. so when my contract is up---im switching to dvr.

SHUVT
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I have dvr through my cable company. Works great and I have no complaints. It is only like 4 bucks more amonths for the dvr cable box.

thewizeard
04-02-2007, 10:54 PM
whose got what? i got tivo, and i love it, but it cost a little more than dvr. so when my contract is up---im switching to dvr.

I used to have tivo too, until the contract eggspired.

Busyman™
04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I have DVR but Tivo is better.

Since I switched from Comcast to Fios I have more recording time but Tivo has more time available.

I wish I could buy my DVR. Mine only has 160 GB (up from 120).
When you record a buncha HD shows, that space gets zapped in no time.

I have the Motorola STB (6416 I think). The last 2 digits denote the recording time (add a 0).

The is a 320 GB STB that I'd love to buy. That or if I could add an external hard disk drive to the SATA port.

I noticed that in some cases, I would watch a show just to make sure I had space for the others. That sucks ass.

I wanna be able to record a whole season of Supernatural (IN HD OF COURSE), but also House, 24, Prison Break, Family Guy, etc.

Right now I download stuff that's not in HD (Dresden Files, Stargate SG-1, etc.) and just watch in near HD quality on my DVD player.

brotherdoobie
04-03-2007, 07:57 AM
One is hardware,the other is software.

Peace bd

myron
04-16-2007, 10:12 PM
just the crappy standard issue comcast motorola hd-dvr here. thing is a piece....

Busyman™
04-16-2007, 11:05 PM
just the crappy standard issue comcast motorola hd-dvr here. thing is a piece....

I liked mine. It was shit on recording time is all.

weenden
04-16-2007, 11:28 PM
i have two dvr's and another that needs a drive all replaytvs

kaosfere
04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
A Tivo *is* a DVR, boss. Digital Video Recorder.

Don't go with one from your cable company. They're almost universally crappy. Either get a Tivo, or build yourself a media PC.

I have a linux music and video jukebox that streams to my SA series 2 Tivo. I'm also working on building a MythTV box so I can break away from paying Tivo every month.

weenden
04-17-2007, 12:02 AM
yeah paying for the service suck big time that i agree

brotherdoobie
04-17-2007, 12:43 AM

Since I switched from Comcast to Fios I have more recording time but Tivo has more time available.

I have the Motorola STB (6416 I think). The last 2 digits denote the recording time (add a 0).

The is a 320 GB STB that I'd love to buy. That or if I could add an external hard disk drive to the SATA port.

I noticed that in some cases, I would watch a show just to make sure I had space for the others. That sucks ass.

I wanna be able to record a whole season of Supernatural (IN HD OF COURSE), but also House, 24, Prison Break, Family Guy, etc.

Right now I download stuff that's not in HD (Dresden Files, Stargate SG-1, etc.) and just watch in near HD quality on my DVD player.

I the FIOS service sounds pretty awsome. I like the Multi-Room DVR,that they offer. (You only need one dvr and can pause in one room,while still watching the program in another room.)

I love my Tivo service. (I'm thinking of switching,when fiber optic lines are laid here. :whistling ) Damn you,Verizon...Damn you!

-bd

Busyman™
04-17-2007, 01:19 AM

I the FIOS service sounds pretty awsome. I like the Multi-Room DVR,that they offer. (You only need one dvr and can pause in one room,while still watching the program in another room.)

I love my Tivo service. (I'm thinking of switching,when fiber optic lines are laid here. :whistling ) Damn you,Verizon...Damn you!

-bd

Yeah the only drawbacks (compared to Comcast) are...

the remote
the guide
the on demand

It's cheaper, has better picture (slightly), and has more recording time.

I still went with 2 separate DVRs vs. getting Muti-room.

Wifey records more things upstairs and I record more things for the big-screen.

It works out nicely. Besides one Multi-room is $20 and one regular STB is $5.

2 regular DVRs are $24 ($12 each).

I like FIOS cuz I get 15 Mbps on the cheap (the video is cheaper than Comcast too).