PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking The Graphics Card...

SiLeNcE
06-01-2003, 01:09 AM
I'm new here and i would like some help with my graphics card.Well,it would've been better if i throwed it in the trash can,but since i can't buy a new one i want to improve its' performance.I got an SiS 315 32 BIT 143 Mhz clock.I downloaded the latest driver but i didn't see much.I also used powerstrip but it didn't do any good.Do you know any other program that can help?

thanks in advance...! B)

h1
06-01-2003, 03:02 AM
PowerStrip is very good for overclocking - they say it works for "recent" cards, but i've seen it work on GeForce2s, so i'm relatively sure yours qualifies (http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm)

also - there are a lot of other factors to consider, like card temp and case airflow. be sure do a lot of research (there are a couple good o/c sites out there) otherwise u might end up with a really expensive paperweight

ad no, thank you for seeing someone wanting to o/c an older card rather than do it to their new radeon 9800 pro

gibmorph
06-01-2003, 07:17 PM
try Riva Tuner.. it might just let you overclock your card :)

technonrgkid
06-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789@1 June 2003 - 03:02
PowerStrip is very good for overclocking - they say it works for "recent" cards, but i've seen it work on GeForce2s, so i'm relatively sure yours qualifies (http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm)

also - there are a lot of other factors to consider, like card temp and case airflow. be sure do a lot of research (there are a couple good o/c sites out there) otherwise u might end up with a really expensive paperweight

ad no, thank you for seeing someone wanting to o/c an older card rather than do it to their new radeon 9800 pro
Need for more speed

Oh , but thats not me though with a radeon or overclocking my card. I have a Geforce 4 Ti4200 i just bought, i wont oc that baby , i dont think i will.
Then again the need for speed can work in mysterious ways
:lol:

3RA1N1AC
06-02-2003, 09:57 AM
i can see why people overclock their stuff, but personally i don't feel the need to do that myself. i'd rather just buy things that are guaranteed to operate at a certain speed.

although... both video card and CPU companies sometimes actually sell things that are set to run at slower speeds than they are capable of, for various reasons. for example, video card companies sometimes sell slower bulk versions of their cards which are technically the exact same thing as the retail packaged versions, as a way of providing high end parts to PC companies but ensuring that hardcore geeks will still pay big $$$ for the faster versions. but in many cases you can overclock the bulk (OEM) version to the same speed as the retail version, with basically zero risk.

and CPU companies do not set up a machine to manufacture CPUs and say, "okay, this machine is going to make 2ghz chips and this other machine is going to make 2.3ghz chips." they all come out of the same manufacturing line, and it's just a crapshoot to see how fast each individual CPU is able to go. so when the manufacturing process is refined enough that most of the chips are coming out capable of 2.3ghz, they might dip into the batch of 2.3ghz CPUs and label them as 2ghz just because they still have to fill existing orders for the slower ones. so it is possible to buy a "slower" CPU which might actually turn out to be a fast one that they clocked at a slower speed, just because they ran out of slow ones.

Pitbul
06-02-2003, 03:58 PM
i have a Intel Extreme Graphic card with 64MB and i was wondering if i O/C will i mess up my Video Card? can u set how much u want it to o/c so its nto to much?

h1
06-03-2003, 01:41 AM
@Pitbul

if your card is integrated, i really don't recommend messing with it

but as a rule of thumb, 10% o/c is enough for me, but then again, i have watercooling.

experiment with your card - raise it 5MHz at a time for core and 10MHz at a time for video memory, run it for a while, and see if its stable

Terminal Boredom
06-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Man, it is a BAD idea to oc your video card. As was pointed out earlier, temp is critical in this application. If you run liquid cooling and have another waterblock for the chipset, maybe but.....The higher the temp it runs the more unstable it becomes. They tend to generate spurious sync signals as well. Speed is great, but you should balance it with stability. There also tends to be interface problems with the bus on the mobo if it is oc'ed too high.

If you can't afford a better video card, can you afford to replace this one? A 7% increase in heat can reduce the working life of most cmos components by 50%. Is it really worth it?

h1
06-04-2003, 01:55 AM
true, and this is the time when powerful cpus and gpus are available cheaply. oc doesn't make as much sense as it did when a dream machine was a celeron 450 :D

super_science_monkey
06-04-2003, 03:20 AM
hey i was wondering if it were possible to increase gpu performace by using system ram?

Terminal Boredom
06-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Once upon a time you could add ram to a video card and change the jumper settings so the systems would recognize it(back in the VLB days). Now, there are bits set in the bios of the GPU to do the same. I doubt if it would be worth the time to do so. Man, guess I just showed my age huh?