PDA

View Full Version : M$ Firewall.....guess

skelley521
06-01-2003, 03:50 PM
I did a little homework last night.

Just as Executive Software (Diskeeper) made Microsoft's defragmenter, another company made their firewall. They too have Firewall software available on the market and I have been told that it is the most compatible with XP's firewall and between the two of them together can offer maximum protection (with a little configuration, of course).

Does anyone have an idea of who?

Taking guesses,
Steve

ilw
06-01-2003, 04:23 PM
don't bother with integrating anything into winxp's firewall. Its a pile of sh*t. Just turn it off and get one of the other recommended firewalls which will offer u all the protection u could ever need and much more configurability. eg Sygate pro (what i use and is highly recommended) Zone alarm pro (also highly recommended) or Norton (never used it so dunno)

skelley521
06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
@ ian_l_williams, Thanks for the advice, I have tried several and I choose not to even use one.
I can play games with the best of them *wink
Also, you didnt answer the question.

Edit: I also dont use diskeeper, I prefer PerfectDisk 6.0

ricochet
06-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by skelley521@1 June 2003 - 15:50
I did a little homework last night.

Just as Executive Software (Diskeeper) made Microsoft's defragmenter, another company made their firewall. They too have Firewall software available on the market and I have been told that it is the most compatible with XP's firewall and between the two of them together can offer maximum protection (with a little configuration, of course).

Does anyone have an idea of who?

Taking guesses,
Steve
At a guess I would say Black Ice...because it also is junk.

4play
06-01-2003, 05:44 PM
probably zone alarm.

or some kinda swiss cheese making firm. :rolleyes:

skelley521
06-01-2003, 08:43 PM
drum roll...........

Tiny Personal Firewall

Edit: Tiny Software

shn
06-02-2003, 03:17 AM
Some with no sense may disagree, but I really dont care. Software based firewalls suck. The best firewall you can ever have is a hardware based firewall or a damn good router. Believe me its very true and anyone with any knowledge of networking, internetworking and routers will tell you the same. :)

skelley521
06-02-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by shn@2 June 2003 - 04:17
Some with no sense may disagree, but I really dont care. Software based firewalls suck. The best firewall you can ever have is a hardware based firewall or a damn good router. Believe me its very true and anyone with any knowledge of networking, internetworking and routers will tell you the same. :)
Well, of course, thats a no brainr'.